With nearly a billion monthly users, the TikTok app has replaced Facebook as the king of social growth. Since January 2019, TikTok has experienced an enormous 300 million growth in reported active users. An impressive rise of 37.5%. Because of its popularity, TikTok users of all ages and backgrounds are jumping on this app and creating engaging,
It makes sense that businesses are looking to jump on the trend and start creating as well.
With millions of viewers and a diverse audience, advertising on TikTok is a great tactic for businesses looking to grow their customer base and increase sales.
If you believe TikTok ad creation is the right step for your business, you’ll need to know the options and guidelines for video ads.
Currently, there are five TikTok ad formats available:
Brand Takeover Ads Format
Full-screenvideo for powerful ad delivery.
- Customized ad:
3-secondimage or 3-5second video.
- The entire ad is clickable and users can be led directly back to your page.
- CTR averages 15%.
A video format ad that captures the user’s attention quickly with sight, sound, and a compelling story. This ad pops up and begins playing when a user first opens the app, before their general feed becomes visible.
- Premium placement.
- Up to 60 seconds of playtime for
- CTR is
16-18%. In-Feed Video Format
An ad that is visible in a user’s personal feed.
- This ad features up to 60 seconds of
- Can include multiple
- Ideal ad placements in feed.
- CTR averages 18%.
- Easy to share, comment, and like this type of advertisement.
TikTok Hashtag Challenge Format
A creative and engaging way to generate mass exposure and invite users to add to your brand’s message.
- Hashtags are placed throughout the app to promote engagement.
- Call to Action button to drive meaningful traffic to your website.
- Audiences are targeted more effectively with this type of ad because they can interact with the message/theme directly.
- CTR averages
Branded Effect Format
Presenting users with an interactive filter is a fun and creative way to encourage engagement.
- Effects can be integrated into Hashtag Challenge or standalone.
- Effects and video are clickable so users can be directed back to your business profile and home page.
- Effects are triggered by gestures and facial expressions.
- Branded Effects are similar to filters on Snapchat and Instagram that can create a unique or warped effect for a fun, interactive experience.
- CTR averages
How to Run TikTok ads
Once you determine which type of video ad is ideal for your business you’ll want to focus on the ad creation process. In order to begin advertising on TikTok, you must create a TikTok Ads account.
Follow these steps:
- Visit TikTok.com/business.
- Select Get Started in the top right corner.
- On the next page, you will see a
- Select your country and choose whether your content will be a business promoting goods and services or an individual promoting a personal website/page.
- Provide a valid email or phone number.
- Create a valid password.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click Register to finish the registration!
Setting up TikTok Ads
Once your TikTok Ads account is set up, the process of manually setting up your ads on TikTok is fairly straightforward.
Before advertising, it’s beneficial to understand how TikTok Ads Manager organizes your campaigns and assets within the platform. With TikTok Ads Manager, you can target your ads to achieve a specific goal or outcome, making your ads more effective.
- To Generate Awareness: Reach
- To Direct Leads: Traffic
- To Increase App Downloads: App installs
- To Generate Longer View Time: Video views
- To Drive Sales: Conversions
Optimizing your campaign with these options will make for more effective ads, maximizing your overall investment. You will also want to organize the campaign spending and decide on the campaign’s name.
Keep your KPI’s and campaign objectives in mind as you tailor your campaign. Try focusing on a single KPI and remember your video ads are designed to correlate directly with your campaign objective.
Measuring Performance of TikTok Ads
You’ll want to determine whether or not your money is being used wisely based on your ad performance. Luckily, TikTok has made doing so fairly straightforward. TikTok provides a comprehensive and robust dashboard that enables you to measure and track your ad performance and ad spend. Ad groups share the same target and objective. This dashboard also allows you to see which ad group you are currently running and the status of your TikTok ads.
You can also view the status of your campaigns, ad groups, and ads that can be active or not delivering. Make sure to monitor the performance metrics and overall CPM, CPC, CPA, CTR, and other conversions.
The possibilities for brand success on TikTok are endless.
Take, for example, E.L.F cosmetics, who in October 2019, created a song and dance challenge called Eyes, Lips, Face specifically for TikTok. It featured creators wearing makeup and highlighting their eyes, lips, and face makeup creations.
This song was the beginning of
TikTok is a fun, engaging app that has helped creators and brands grow their market exponentially. As evidenced by the success of other brands; TikTok ads work! Even major brands like Chipotle, Ocean Spray, Guess, and Aerie have gone viral and seen success with TikTok advertising videos, hashtags, and trends.
TikTok is an innovative advertising platform because users are from all walks of life with varying ages, hobbies, and backgrounds. For some brands, there is no better platform to truly showcase what you have to offer the world.
- How to Make Money on TikTok: A Guide for Business Owners
- Trending Products to Sell on TikTok
- How to Sell and Advertise on TikTok
- What is TikTok and Why It’s So Popular?
- How to Use TikTok: A Beginner’s Guide
- How to Use TikTok to Drive Interest for Your Business
- How Small Business Owners Use TikTok to Grow Sales
- How To Go Live on TikTok
- How to Grow Followers on TikTok: Best Practices
- How to Use TikTok to Start Selling Your Products Online Today
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide For How to Go Viral on TikTok
- TikTok Search: How to Find People, Brands, and Products on TikTok
- How to Make Money on TikTok
- The Dos & Don’ts of Collaborating with TikTok Creators as a Business
- How to Use TikTok for Business to Reach GenZ Shoppers
- Advertising on TikTok from A to Z
- The Ultimate Guide to TikTok Ads