The Importance of a Blog and How to Start One for Your Store
Like it or not, blogging has become an essential part of doing business. When you have an online store, it’s the most
Your blog not only helps to increase your store’s online visibility, but it’s the perfect outlet for you to share stories, connect with your customers, and establish trust and loyalty. Learn more about the benefits of blogging and how to start a blog quickly.
How will Blogging Help My Business?
Blogging not only helps your store become a more credible resource, but it helps increase your visibility online by optimizing your website for search engines. This is an essential component to achieving a high search engine ranking because it provides search engines with more pages to crawl and index. The higher your blog posts are ranked, the more traffic and sales you’ll gain.
Blogs help you rank in search engines
As beneficial as it is, many avoid blogging because they feel they can’t write, but this doesn’t have to hold you back. If you’re still uncertain about where to begin, consider inviting guests to write blogs for you or hiring a professional. Ultimately, blogging doesn’t have to be overly complicated.
Take Simon Carter’s blog as an example — it offers unique content to help optimize the website while sharing valuable and compelling information to connect with their customers.
So if you have a little time to write a blog post once a week, here is a few tips to keep in mind in order to increase your rank in search engines:
- The linking game. Using links in your blog is important (especially links to your product pages), but more importantly, you need to get other sources linking to your blog. Why? This is what helps get your site ranking higher in search engines.
- Key phrases. Articles in your blog are the perfect place for you to naturally use key phrases that people search for. For anyone looking for the perfect pair of vintage 1970s ear muffs that happens to be what you sell, telling the story around that product is not only interesting but more likely to get ranked based on your blog post.
- Use images. Images are a great way to give your blog posts visual appeal, but make sure to name the files in a way that also describes the product or a key phrase. This is also a good way to optimize the article for search engines.
Blogs will help you tell stories
Blogs offer the perfect opportunity to share personal stories about your business, such as what inspired you to open your store, events you’ve attended, and personal stories featuring your products. It acts as a
By sharing stories, you offer your customers more value, such as Karakoram’s blog where they share numerous stories related to their store and products.
Blogs can connect you with traditional media
Your blog will open many new doors to exciting opportunities. A
Marc Chernoff created the post 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself, which ended up receiving over half a million likes, 20,000 tweets, and uncountable shares on social media outlets. If one blog post can offer even half of the success as his post, think of the benefits your business will gain.
How to Start a Blog for Business
First of all, you need to understand what your blog is going to be about. Zach Heller shared with us his expert tip:
Blogging is an extension of your brand. You want to stand out in a world with a million other blogs. So it is important to have a unique voice, to create content that potential customers will find engaging. No matter what form your content takes — video, infographics, short or long form text — it needs to offer readers something they can’t get anywhere else. That will help you share and spread the message of who your brand is and why people should care.
Choosing the right strategy
Now that you know about the benefits of blogging and some of the leading CMS, let’s take a closer look at what it takes to build a successful blog.
To create a blog, you’ll want to consider the following strategies:
- Define your target audience. Who is the target audience for your blog? If you define your target audience before you set up a blog, you’ll be better equipped to produce meaningful, engaging blog posts that will garner attention from the right people consistently.
- Be unique. Use your blog to show your industry expertise — you’ll be glad you did! By doing so, you can provide your readers with timely, relevant blog posts that they will enjoy. Perhaps just as important, unique blog posts will help your blog stand out from others in your industry and boost your chances of ensuring readers return to your blog time and time again.
- Be consistent. Add new content to your blog regularly. Establishing a blog calendar may help you stay on track with blog posts. Or, you may want to set aside time every day or a few times a week to prepare blog posts.
- Interact with your readers. Respond to blog readers’ comments, questions and concerns. This will enhance the quality of your content and drive engagement. Don’t forget to add a Share button to your blog that enables readers to share your blog posts on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks as well.
- Maintain a professional approach. Ideally, you’ll want your blog to highlight your business’ commitment to being an industry leader and maintain a
professional-lookingblog. Plus, you’ll want to create blog posts that are error-freeand easy to understand.
Then you’ll need to decide how to create your blog.
Choosing the right platform
- Offers a variety of blog templates that you can use to set up a blog quickly and easily.
- Provides a free blogspot.com domain, ensuring you can give your blog a home that is easy to find.
- Boasts Google AdSense capabilities that allow you to display targeted, relevant ads to earn extra income from your blog.
built-inanalytics so you can find out who is visiting your blog, what your target audience is interested in and more.
- Ensures you can store thousands of blog posts, photos and other media with Google for free.
- Offers custom, commercial and free themes, along with the ability to create your own theme.
- Enables you to upload custom, paid and free
plug-insto help you optimize your blog‘s performance and extend its functionality.
- Features comprehensive documentation and a community forum, ensuring you can get immediate support from WordPress experts.
- Provides you with the ability to set up
sign-upforms that allow readers to subscribe to your blog posts, account creation capabilities that ensure visitors can purchase products directly from your blog and marketing capabilities to help you promote your blog.
- Gives you the flexibility to choose your blog’s storage, security, server speed and more.
If you’re starting a blog, which option is better: Blogger or WordPress? Both CMS empower you to establish a
Large organizations like CNN, Time and others trust WordPress for their blogs. Also, WordPress has grown significantly over the years and boasts millions of users around the globe. It even welcomes 50,000 new users daily — a clear indication that WordPress is dedicating substantial time and resources to provide users with a
Generating compelling blog ideas
The secret to successful blogging is to create posts that are unique and valuable to the reader. You don’t necessarily have to be a great writer, but instead, hold that mystery ingredient other blogs in your industry lack. Even one blog post a week with a unique approach that’s delivered to add value and information to your readers will produce benefits.
If you’re not sure what to blog about, create product tutorials to show your products in action. If you can, include real life videos of customers using your products and feature reviews.
Offer advice regarding your products to promote the customer experience. Insider tips and information are excellent to delivering a compelling and informative blog.
In addition to sharing your story, feature announcements about your business, such as the release of new products, events you’re attending, awards, milestones, and any other piece of exciting information. This will help build your credibility and promote a positive reputation.
Take a look at the Cooking with Tenina Blog to get the idea of possible content types you can consider for your blog.
How to Add
E-commerce to Your Blog
With a successful blog in place, your business will be able to garner attention from consumers and prospects globally. And with Ecwid, your business can add an online store to your blog with ease.
e-commerce plugin to your blog
Selling online with Ecwid is convenient for different purposes: you can add a
And growing your business with Ecwid’s shop doesn’t require you to be a code wizard or
Add Buy Now button
Another cool way to start making money with your blog is to add Ecwid’s Buy Now button.
Essentially, it’s a piece of code that you can directly add to any post and that allows your customers to purchase your products in just one click — they don’t even have to leave the page and they won’t be directed elsewhere to complete their checkout.
The widget automatically adapts to your blog’s colors and looks authentic, as if it was always part of your website. The most exciting — you can get started for free, without transactions fees!
Read more about how to start selling from your blog in three quick steps.
Having a company blog is only the first step to getting the most out of content marketing. To truly reap the rewards of an engaged audience, you need to create valuable content, publish it consistently and look awesome doing it.
The combination of blog and Ecwid
Let your brand’s personality shine, and let your team give you input. Once you’ve got an audience waiting for your posts, you’ll get a boost in sales in no time.