The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Ted Durand's Avatar
Ted Durand is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default

How to translate a whole store ?


As many of ecwid users I'd like to translate my store which is in my native language (french) into another language (english).
I spent time on the knowledge pages and also in this forum and I did not find any solution.

- Do i have to open a new store and translate french into english in it ?
- is it possible to copy the whole store in french then translating product by product in english ?
- or is there any solution to this issue ?

https://app.ecwid.com/jsp/677593/sim...0&sort=nameAsc
  #2  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Kess's Avatar
Kess Kess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Durand View Post
As many of ecwid users I'd like to translate my store which is in my native language (french) into another language (english).
I spent time on the knowledge pages and also in this forum and I did not find any solution.

- Do i have to open a new store and translate french into english in it ?
- is it possible to copy the whole store in french then translating product by product in english ?
- or is there any solution to this issue ?

https://app.ecwid.com/jsp/677593/sim...0&sort=nameAsc
If you mean standard Ecwid storefront elements translation, you need to enable English in your Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> General -> Languages, select it in the "Default" column and click "Save (Ctrl+S)"

If you mean the data you have manually added to your store (categories and products names, descriptions, options, shipping and payment methods names, taxes, etc.) - unfortunately, there is no instrument in Ecwid to translate that. You should open all these things in your Ecwid control panel and enter English texts instead of French there.

If you mean you need two Ecwid storefronts, one in English and the other one in French - this can be done within the bounds of one Ecwid store. But since a product has (can have, to be exact) a description and name, there is no way to set them in two languages within the bounds of one product, which means you will need to create 2 products (each having a description and name in one of these two languages) and display them on the corresponding domains. Here is the article that should help you to configure your store in such way that products in different languages could be displayed on two different sites:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/27229589/...d%20categories
__________________
Ksenia Lukacher
  #3  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Puglia Shop Online's Avatar
Puglia Shop Online Puglia Shop Online is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Puglia
Posts: 17
Default

I have been trying to translate my site from English (pugliashoponline.com) into German/French. I have the site through www.1and1.it who have Ecwid as an extension for the shop and everything works well. There is also a translating service but everything from Ecwid doesn't tranlate. Do I have to do as you mention above, register a different domain for each language and then recreate and translate all the product descriptions?
Thank you!
  #4  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Puglia Shop Online's Avatar
Puglia Shop Online Puglia Shop Online is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Puglia
Posts: 17
Default

While patiently waiting to see if my above post was correct I looked back through the forum and found this thread:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2730
Would this solve the problem? Has anybody used this google translate api as it seems to be a pay service:
https://developers.google.com/translate/
Thanks...
  #5  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Lanna's Avatar
Lanna Lanna is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puglia Shop Online View Post
While patiently waiting to see if my above post was correct I looked back through the forum and found this thread:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2730
Would this solve the problem? Has anybody used this google translate api as it seems to be a pay service:
https://developers.google.com/translate/
Thanks...
Hi,

If you want to use your shop in three languages, first you need to enable these languages in your Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> General -> Languages. The shop language will be changed automatically depending on the customer's location.
However, this will change only Ecwid's texts, all texts that you submitted yourself (like product names and descriptions) will remain in the language in which you inserted them in the Ecwid control panel.
As mentioned above in this tread, for now there's no tool to setup multilanguage for product descriptions unfortunately.
But there're two workardounds to this:

1. To open two more Ecwid shops, enable one language in each and insert the products descriptions (and other text) in necessary languages.
This way you'll have three separate Ecwid accounts, and you'll manage each shop separately.

2. To integrate your Ecwid store with a 3rd party translation tool using Javascript API.
If you need professional help with this integration, you can find a 3rd party developer, or our collegues at Qualiteam can provide their services for this task. If you're interested, please email your requirements (what tool you want to integrate, what parts of the store need to be translated) to sales@qtmsoft.com
__________________
Lana W.
Ecwid Customer Care Team

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
  #6  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM
1VeryBusyBee's Avatar
1VeryBusyBee 1VeryBusyBee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Hi,
I am totally new to website building and Ecwid, so apologies for silly obvious questions!

Lana, I see your reply with regards to open 3 shops in 3 different languages as follows:

************************************************** ********************
1. To open two more Ecwid shops, enable one language in each and insert the products descriptions (and other text) in necessary languages.
This way you'll have three separate Ecwid accounts, and you'll manage each shop separately
************************************************** ********************

Doing this, would I need to pay for 3 separate accounts I assume??

Thanks for clarifying
Viv
  #7  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Maya's Avatar
Maya Maya is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ecwid headquarter
Posts: 5,878
Default

Quote:
Doing this, would I need to pay for 3 separate accounts I assume??
Currently, Ecwid allows to create only one store inside one Ecwid account. Therefore, you will need to create separate account for each store and subscribe to required plan all of them .

Unfortunately, there is no other way to get the store on the several different languages.
__________________
Maya N., Ecwid Team

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
  #8  
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Cozee's Avatar
Cozee Cozee is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 138
Default

Hi all, I don't know if this will help, but I found some code to add a google translate drop down to your webpage. I added it to my site http://www.cozeeclothing.com/shop.php at the top of the browser widget code. Unfortunately, it will only translate items from my personal website and not the ecwid store. Maybe ECWID can help us to integrate the code into their widget.
Here is the code: (you can add more languages)

<select name="translate" style="height:18px; font-size:10px;" onchange="javascript:window.location = 'http://www.google.com/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=en%7C' + this.value + '&u=' + window.location.href;">
<option value="">Translate This Page</option>
<option value="ar">Arabic</option>
<option value="zh-CN">Chinese Simplified</option>
<option value="zh-TW">Chinese Traditional</option>
<option value="nl">Dutch</option>
<option value="fr">French</option>
<option value="de">German</option>
<option value="el">Greek</option>
<option value="it">Italian</option>
<option value="ja">Japanese</option>
<option value="ko">Korean</option>
<option value="pt">Portuguese</option>
<option value="ru">Russian</option>
<option value="es">Spanish</option>
</select>
  #9  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Lanna's Avatar
Lanna Lanna is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozee View Post
Hi all, I don't know if this will help, but I found some code to add a google translate drop down to your webpage. I added it to my site http://www.cozeeclothing.com/shop.php at the top of the browser widget code. Unfortunately, it will only translate items from my personal website and not the ecwid store. Maybe ECWID can help us to integrate the code into their widget.
Here is the code: (you can add more languages)

<select name="translate" style="height:18px; font-size:10px;" onchange="javascript:window.location = 'http://www.google.com/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=en%7C' + this.value + '&u=' + window.location.href;">
<option value="">Translate This Page</option>
<option value="ar">Arabic</option>
<option value="zh-CN">Chinese Simplified</option>
<option value="zh-TW">Chinese Traditional</option>
<option value="nl">Dutch</option>
<option value="fr">French</option>
<option value="de">German</option>
<option value="el">Greek</option>
<option value="it">Italian</option>
<option value="ja">Japanese</option>
<option value="ko">Korean</option>
<option value="pt">Portuguese</option>
<option value="ru">Russian</option>
<option value="es">Spanish</option>
</select>
Hi,

I've checked how this script works. Most likely the script can't process AJAX applications if such are used on the site. That's why your site pages are translated but Ecwid store remains in the visitor's language.

Please, try this Google tool: http://translate.google.com/translate_tools It should translate Ecwid parts as well.

Today Ecwid supports many languages. Your customers will see the store in the language which is enabled as the primary one in his browser settings (provided that this language is turned on in your Ecwid control panel, System Settings -> General -> Languages).
You can force your store to open in certain language, it's explained in this thread.

The translations, however, do not influence the data that you input manually into your shop: category and product names, options, descriptions, currency, payment and shipping methods names. For some of these items it is possible to use just a bilingual name - for example "Apple / Apfel", but for long descriptions it is not always a good solution.
We can offer a workaround to this:
Ecwid is an AJAX application, so products, categories and all the other content of your store is delivered to your visitors dynamically via JavaScript. Your storefront is integrated in your site and acts like a part of it. Therefore by means of custom JavaScript modification, you can modify Ecwid behavior in many different ways. So for ex. using Ecwid Javascript API one can write a custom script that will determine the language parameter for the pages and substitute texts with those defined in the script.

Ecwid is oriented towards the global market, and our team understands the importance of multilingual features in Ecwid. We'll surely be improving this functionality and making Ecwid a multilingual shop in the future versions.
__________________
Lana W.
Ecwid Customer Care Team

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanna For This Useful Post:
Cozee (06-01-2013)
  #10  
Old 12-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Rick G's Avatar
Rick G Rick G is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default

Hi Everyone!

It is now possible to show product and category descriptions in different languages using this app: https://www.ecwid.com/apps/featured/...e-descriptions

Thank you.
__________________
Ecwid API and App Market Team
Ecwid Developer Website
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
multilanguage, translation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.