Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Question

One zipcode, Many tax rates?

Hi, I'm from South Carolina and I have to set my sales tax to charge for the customer's county sales tax rate but very frequently we have zip codes that account for 2 or 3 different counties. All with their own rates. How would I be able to set this up?!

Example:
In SC, the zip code 29945 is divided into these counties:
BEAUFORT which has a 6% sales tax,
COLLETON has an 8% sales tax,
HAMPTON has an 8% sales tax,
and JASPER that has a 9% sales tax.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Hatchell View Post
Hi, I'm from South Carolina and I have to set my sales tax to charge for the customer's county sales tax rate but very frequently we have zip codes that account for 2 or 3 different counties. All with their own rates. How would I be able to set this up?!

Example:
In SC, the zip code 29945 is divided into these counties:
BEAUFORT which has a 6% sales tax,
COLLETON has an 8% sales tax,
HAMPTON has an 8% sales tax,
and JASPER that has a 9% sales tax.
Hello Jessica,

This is Stacy from Ecwid Customer Care team.

Thank you for contacting us! I'm here to help you.

In general, you can use either Automated taxes calculation or the Manual taxes setup in your Ecwid store.

With the help of the Manual taxes, you can assign different tax rates to separate destination zones. You can set it according to a country, a state, and a zip code. The last setting is the most flexible one. You are free to adjust any number of zip code combinations for needed locations using special symbols. For example, if you enter “43*” with wildcard character to the “Zip/Postal codes” field, all cities which zip codes are started with “43” will be included to that destination zone.

If a zip code is included in different counties, this exact approach will not work, I'm afraid.

You should use the automatic tax calculation feature. The tax rate will be calculated according to the customer's location. We use Taxjar service for our automated tax calculation in Ecwid. TaxJar will take care of such cases as you described and the tax rate will be calculated properly.

As I can see, you have already enabled the automated taxes in your store. So, you are all set up now.

Also, you can check a tax rate for your location in TaxJar calculator here https://www.taxjar.com/sales-tax-calculator/

Please, see a detailed article about How to set up US Sales tax in Ecwid.

And, you might be interested in South Carolina Sales Tax Guide for Businesses by TaxJar as well.

I hope this helps.

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Unfortunately, I cannot use the automatic taxes because I have to set it up for multiple states. I don't know what I'm gonna do about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure something out soon.

Tags
counties, sales tax, south carolina, zip code, zones