The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Exclude countries from downloading digital products

Due to new taxation laws I need to exclude the EU countries from downloading digital products.

I sell both physical and digital products. I want to be able to ship physical products to the world using the USPS calculator. But I want to block the EU countries from downloading digital products.

I have read this thread http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31578
however I can't seem to get it to work for me, maybe because I use the USPS calculator. Can you help please.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your question!

Yes, this new law in EU affects many of our users and we are receiving questions on dealing with the situation.

The best solution of excluding the EU countries from downloading e-goods would be a possibility to connect individual shipping rates and destination zones to certain categories and products. I am afraid that at the moment there is no built-in feature like this in Ecwid, and if you think it would be useful for you, you might want to vote for this feature in Customers Suggestions and Ideas for Ecwid and we will let you know as soon as there is some progress with this.

As a workaround variant at the moment I suggest that you register one more Ecwid account and make a separate store for your e-goods. You can locate it on one of the pages of the same site where your main store is. As it will be a separate store, the shipping settings for the products in the store (i.e. e-goods that do not require shipping) will not affect the shipping settings for the physical products in your main store (i.e. rates calculated by USPS).

Please let me know if you need help with carrying this out, it is my pleasure to answer your questions.

Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Thank you for your response however setting up an additional store is not really an acceptable solution. It means I would have to pay for another premium account to get the necessary features to manage the account and that just doesn't make sense. If you're not able to offer a better solution by the end of this year then I'll have to find another shopping cart that can deal with this problem.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Ecwid Team

Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for your message!

We understand very well your disappointment, I agree that paying for two accounts just because of the new law in Europe might be kind of annoying.

There is one more variant - you can include the tax in the price of e-goods for customers from Europe. Please refer to this article for details: help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1497408

So that the tax was applied only to your e-goods, just go to the product pages of e-goods (Ecwid Control Panel> Catalogue > Products), open the “Tax and Shipping” tab and check the required tax.

If you do not wish to include the tax in the price and want to exclude the European countries from downloading e-goods, I can suggest one more workaround variant that involves modification of your shipping rates and destination zones:
- you set a very large, almost absurd weight of your downloadable products, so that USPS Carrier Calculated Rate could not be applied to them;
- then you create your custom shipping method for these products with the absurd weight (i.e. your downloadable goods) and set a free rate for it.
- This shipping rate is applied a certain destination zone, where Europe is excluded.

So, when your customers from Europe try to order a downloadable product, they will not be able to proceed to checkout and pay. And when they order physical goods, they will get the USPS calculated rates.

Please see below the step by step instruction on how to make these settings:

1. Set the weight of your downloadable products (Ecwid Control Panel > Catalogue > Products, product page. Enter the absurd weight in the “Weight” field (e.g. 20000 lbs). Click “Save”.

2. Set a new destination zone: Ecwid Control Panel > System Settings > Zones. Click “New Zone”, enter the name of the new zone (e.g. ‘No Europe’), click ‘Add Region’ and select all the regions you want to sell the downloadable goods to (might be all the regions, but Europe).

3. Set a custom shipping method.
Go to your Ecwid Control Panel > System Settings > Shipping > Shipping Methods, click “New Shipping Method”.
In the pop-up window, in the ‘Select the shipping region’ dropdown set the zone excluding Europe, that you have defined in step 2.
Select the “Custom Table” and click “Shipping Rates and Delivery Speed” button. In the next window set the necessary values (see the screenshot: http://take.ms/T9Lwj, note - the weight in the “From” field should be the same as you have stated for your e-goods).
Click the “Name Shipping Method” button. In the next window enter the name of this shipping method (e.g. “Free Shipping”). Click “Save and Finish”.

When the zones and shipping are configured this way, your customers from all over the world will be able to order physical goods and get USPS Calculated rates for them.

As for the e-goods, the customers from all the regions, but Europe, will see the “Free Shipping” option and checkout button, and the customers from Europe will see the “Sorry, we do not ship packages above 70.00 lbs” note and will not be able to checkout.

You might also wish to hide the e-goods weight on the cart page and on the invoice. Please add the following code to your active CSS theme (Ecwid Control Panel > System Settings > Design > CSS Themes) and click “Save”:

Code:
span.ecwid-productBrowser-cart-weight, 
span.ecwid-Invoice-productDescr-weight { 
  display:none; 
}
This workaround has 2 drawbacks:
- your customers from Europe might be confused by the “Sorry, we do not ship packages above 70.00 lbs” note
- if a customer from Europe adds to the cart both e-goods and physical goods, they will not able to proceed to checkout.

Hope some of these variants will suit you.

Help Center

Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM

==============We understand very well your disappointment, I agree that paying for two accounts just because of the new law in Europe might be kind of annoying.===========

Kind of annoying? Are you kidding me? To suggest that a customer pay for another premium account as a workaround to a problem is absolutely the worst kind of customer service I've ever come across and it's totally beyond my comprehension why you would make this suggestion.

And as to the rest of your response - it doesn't relate to my question at all.

I've found a solution to my problem elsewhere that doesn't cost me a thing and am in the process of closing down my account with you. Very disappointed with the mindset of this company and the level of service.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Ecwid Team

Dear Linda,

I am very sorry you’ve found my reply disappointing and the two variants suggested besides registering one more account - irrelevant.

And I am very glad you have the solution that meets your specific requirements.

Warm wishes and good luck.

Help Center

Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM

LindaM, you are not the only one feeling that way...
Old 01-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara K View Post
This workaround has 2 drawbacks:
- your customers from Europe might be confused by the “Sorry, we do not ship packages above 70.00 lbs” note
- if a customer from Europe adds to the cart both e-goods and physical goods, they will not able to proceed to checkout.

Hope some of these variants will suit you.
I also found that this method has an additional drawback for customer who orders both physical and egoods from a valid country (outside of europe) as its shipping becomes zero!
This solution is not workable.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. I am very sorry I have not taken this into account. I can suggest that you put a note to your customers that they should make separate orders for physical and e-goods.

Otherwise, you can include the tax in the price of e-goods for customers from Europe. Please refer to this article for details: help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1497408

Help Center

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

We have studied the question very thoroughly and prepared a detailed blog post about the new VAT law in EU.

It describes in detail how to configure the taxes in your Ecwid store and what steps to take to comply with the new law: http://www.ecwid.com/blog/how-the-ne...ine-store.html

Help Center

The Following User Says Thank You to Clara K For This Useful Post:
James Tucker (03-20-2016)
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
exclude countries, tax