The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM

ecwid storefront automatic translation?

I am using the Ecwid Venture plan for my eshop www.home-biology.gr
The site is in greek but has an automatic translation tool (gtranslate extension) for every page in English (click on the English flag).
The only pages that are not translated when someones chooses tho see the English version of the website are the ecwid product pages.
Is there a way for the ecwid to be also automatically translated in english when someone uses the English version of our website? Or at least be able to choose a translated version of the ecwid page when he visits the page?
Thank you for your help
Best regards,
Michael Kagelidis
The Following User Says Thank You to mike.kagelidis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.kagelidis View Post
I am using the Ecwid Venture plan for my eshop www.home-biology.gr
The site is in greek but has an automatic translation tool (gtranslate extension) for every page in English (click on the English flag).
The only pages that are not translated when someones chooses tho see the English version of the website are the ecwid product pages.
Is there a way for the ecwid to be also automatically translated in english when someone uses the English version of our website? Or at least be able to choose a translated version of the ecwid page when he visits the page?
Thank you for your help
Best regards,
Michael Kagelidis
Hello!

Actually, right now Ecwid storefront is translated to many languages, and several translations are already 100% complete and approved. So when a customer enters your store, according to his browser settings a language is chosen if such translation exists. If not, he sees a default english version. But it’s only applied to default texts in storefront (like “price”, “add to bag”, etc.), so unfortunately it can’t be applied to the text you typed in (like product’s name, descriptions, option names, etc.)

As a here-and-now solution I could suggest creating two different storefronts for different (eng and greek) versions of your website, which would have copies of your products with Greek or English name/description/options accordingly. So this will indeed require to create more products - an english copy of each original one.
This can be achieved in two ways: either creating two large categories for different languages, or just use two different Ecwid accounts.
If you choose the first variant, I can suggest displaying different categories on different versions of your site, i.e. only “eng” category would be visible on eng version of your website. Please refer to the guide below, explaining how it’s possible to make only one exact category displayed on exact website (so on your Greek site nobody could see English duplicates, and vice versa)

Here’s the article explaining how to display different categories on different sites:
http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...differentsites

Still, an idea to allow people to add several product names/descriptions and switch between them depending on language choice exists, so there is a plan to implement this: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...ions?ref=title
The Following User Says Thank You to enot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi Everyone!

It is now possible to show product and category descriptions in different languages using this app: https://www.ecwid.com/apps/featured/...e-descriptions

Thank you.
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.