The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Dwayne is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Cancellation Emails Not Being Sent


I am testing my site prior to launch. I placed a demo order, created a bogus ship tracking number and received a confirmation email for it. Then I went into Ecwid and cancelled the order, but did not receive a cancellation email. I assume it was because a tracking number was already generated and Ecwid does not allow a post-shipped cancellation?

So, I placed another test order. Received confirmation, didn't generate a ship tracking number, then cancelled it. Not cancellation notice was sent. I've received cancellation notices before but not this time. Is this a known process/bug?
  #2  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Lanna's Avatar
Lanna Lanna is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Ward View Post
I am testing my site prior to launch. I placed a demo order, created a bogus ship tracking number and received a confirmation email for it. Then I went into Ecwid and cancelled the order, but did not receive a cancellation email. I assume it was because a tracking number was already generated and Ecwid does not allow a post-shipped cancellation?

So, I placed another test order. Received confirmation, didn't generate a ship tracking number, then cancelled it. Not cancellation notice was sent. I've received cancellation notices before but not this time. Is this a known process/bug?
Hi,

This is default behavior of this order status: when you update an order to Cancelled, you don't receive any notifications.
Status 'Cancelled' is meant solely for the store admin. None of the payment processors set an order to this status. If an online payment (e.g. by credit card) is failed, the order is set to Declined and the store admin as well as the customer are notified.
Whereas 'Cancelled' can be used only by the store admin in order to indicate for yourself that you won't process this order anyhow. Therefore no email notifications are sent. Please, refer to this article to view on what statuses Ecwid dispatches the email notifications: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/25104182/...pnotifications

If you'd like to receive emails about Cancelled status, you could develop a custom script that will use Ecwid's Instant Order Notification API and generate notifications of a desired format to necessary email addresses.
__________________
Lana W.
Ecwid Customer Care Team

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
  #3  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Lana,
Being the administrator, I've tested the cancelled function before and did in fact receive a "cancelled" email notification (as the customer and administrator). That is why I reported it, because I've received them before.

Are you saying the only option for example, if a customer wants to change an order after they have submitted it, is for me as the administrator to DECLINE it? The system recognizes "decline" as a credit card issue, "decline" notifications don't seem an appropriate notification for an order that should be "cancelled" due to incorrect items being ordered. What if a customer decides to cancel an order? they will receive an email notification saying that their order is "declined", that logically doesn't make sense. Maybe this is just semantics.

I understand from a backend management perspective why I would need to know that I cancelled an order but why would the customer also not have record that their order was cancelled (as opposed to declined)?

Declined=Cancelled?

Thanks.
  #4  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Lana,
As a side note, when an order has been "declined", the notification the customer receives says that it has been "rejected". So "declined" is not even being used in the wording of the notification.
  #5  
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Lanna's Avatar
Lanna Lanna is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Ward View Post
Lana,
Being the administrator, I've tested the cancelled function before and did in fact receive a "cancelled" email notification (as the customer and administrator). That is why I reported it, because I've received them before.

Are you saying the only option for example, if a customer wants to change an order after they have submitted it, is for me as the administrator to DECLINE it? The system recognizes "decline" as a credit card issue, "decline" notifications don't seem an appropriate notification for an order that should be "cancelled" due to incorrect items being ordered. What if a customer decides to cancel an order? they will receive an email notification saying that their order is "declined", that logically doesn't make sense. Maybe this is just semantics.

I understand from a backend management perspective why I would need to know that I cancelled an order but why would the customer also not have record that their order was cancelled (as opposed to declined)?

Declined=Cancelled?

Thanks.
Hi,

Let me explain it from the start.

Ecwid has two types of order statuses:
- payment status: meant to indicate whether the order has been paid
- fulfillment status: meant to indicate whether the order has been processed by the store owner (e.g. delivered)
They're listed and explained here http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/26814163/Orders

There're two payment statuses that may mean almost the same:

Declined - set automatically when online payment processor has refused to process the payment. For ex., the credit card is declined.
Store admin can shift order to this status manually as well. In both cases, store admin and customer receive "Order payment failed " and "Order is rejected" notifications respectively.

Cancelled - can be set only by the store admin manually in Ecwid control panel. Email notifications are not sent in this case. The meaning of this status is that the store admin will not process this order anyhow further for some reasons.
If you received these notifications in the past, could you forward any? We'll check them.

Customer isn't able to cancel the order anyhow. Customer can only email to the store admin with a cancellation request, the store admin may then change the order to Cancelled or Declined.
You can modify the mail notifications and change the text sent to the customers in "Order is rejected" notification. Please, refer to this article for instructions: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/25104182/...0Notifications

Actually this schema needs an update, and your point does make sense, perhaps Declined and Cancelled should be joined or reverted to a new status. We will consider how to improve it.


By the way, as a workaround, it's possible to add custom notifications using Instant Order Notification and order APIs. You'll need to develop a custom script that would do the following:
- via the Order API, request the order details
- create a custom notification and dispatch it to the customer's email
__________________
Lana W.
Ecwid Customer Care Team

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
  #6  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Lana,

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. The cancellation notices I received were when I was testing the site about 6mos ago so unfortunately, that mail has be deleted. I hope future notification do in fact combine Cancelled and Declined or separate them. I don't think you were suggesting to change the mail notification text for "rejected" to "cancelled" were you? "Rejected" as you explained is for credit card declines,correct?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
Hi,

Let me explain it from the start.

Ecwid has two types of order statuses:
- payment status: meant to indicate whether the order has been paid
- fulfillment status: meant to indicate whether the order has been processed by the store owner (e.g. delivered)
They're listed and explained here http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/26814163/Orders

There're two payment statuses that may mean almost the same:

Declined - set automatically when online payment processor has refused to process the payment. For ex., the credit card is declined.
Store admin can shift order to this status manually as well. In both cases, store admin and customer receive "Order payment failed " and "Order is rejected" notifications respectively.

Cancelled - can be set only by the store admin manually in Ecwid control panel. Email notifications are not sent in this case. The meaning of this status is that the store admin will not process this order anyhow further for some reasons.
If you received these notifications in the past, could you forward any? We'll check them.

Customer isn't able to cancel the order anyhow. Customer can only email to the store admin with a cancellation request, the store admin may then change the order to Cancelled or Declined.
You can modify the mail notifications and change the text sent to the customers in "Order is rejected" notification. Please, refer to this article for instructions: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/25104182/...0Notifications

Actually this schema needs an update, and your point does make sense, perhaps Declined and Cancelled should be joined or reverted to a new status. We will consider how to improve it.


By the way, as a workaround, it's possible to add custom notifications using Instant Order Notification and order APIs. You'll need to develop a custom script that would do the following:
- via the Order API, request the order details
- create a custom notification and dispatch it to the customer's email
  #7  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Lanna's Avatar
Lanna Lanna is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Lana,

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. The cancellation notices I received were when I was testing the site about 6mos ago so unfortunately, that mail has be deleted. I hope future notification do in fact combine Cancelled and Declined or separate them. I don't think you were suggesting to change the mail notification text for "rejected" to "cancelled" were you? "Rejected" as you explained is for credit card declines,correct?

Thanks.
Hi,

Declined status can be set automatically upon reply from the payment processor, as well as manually by the store admin. My suggestion is to alter the email messages so that they were more appropriate to your needs. For ex., you could change this wording in customer notification ("Order is rejected" notification):
Your order #%orderNumber% has been rejected.
to this one
Your order #%orderNumber% has been declined

The logic is thus:
- when customer wants to cancel the order, he will contact the store owner to request it. The store admin changes the order status to Cancelled. In this case, customer may not need any notifications about it.
- when it's payment processor who declines the payment, or the store admin wants to reject the order for some reasons, Declined status (meaning: your order cannot be processed for some reasons) may well be the right one in these cases.
__________________
Lana W.
Ecwid Customer Care Team

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
  #8  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
Hi,

Declined status can be set automatically upon reply from the payment processor, as well as manually by the store admin. My suggestion is to alter the email messages so that they were more appropriate to your needs. For ex., you could change this wording in customer notification ("Order is rejected" notification):
Your order #%orderNumber% has been rejected.
to this one
Your order #%orderNumber% has been declined

The logic is thus:
- when customer wants to cancel the order, he will contact the store owner to request it. The store admin changes the order status to Cancelled. In this case, customer may not need any notifications about it.
- when it's payment processor who declines the payment, or the store admin wants to reject the order for some reasons, Declined status (meaning: your order cannot be processed for some reasons) may well be the right one in these cases.
Lana,

I've changed the wording of the rejection email notification, I guess that is the best solution for now. Thanks for your help
 
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
cancellation emails

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.