The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

ecwid SEO/SEM issue


Hi all, we are working on SEO and SEM and we have some second thoughts about SEO capacities of ecwid. We use ecwid on worpdress with the last plugin and when we make simulations on google adwords (find keywords) giving a doirect link to a category (such as http://lucterius.com/#!/~/category/i...=0&sort=normal) google is unable to get any keyword. Trying the same test with a category a the wordpress blog (such as http://lucterius.com/articles/detection/) google finds a lot of keywords.

We did the same tests with some other more classical shop engine (prestashop, thelia, ...) and each time we give a ling to a category of a shop we get a lot of keywords.

What's wrnog with ecwid?
Thanks
  #2  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Eugene Rimmer's Avatar
Eugene Rimmer Eugene Rimmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ecwid headquarters
Posts: 7,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucterius View Post
Hi all, we are working on SEO and SEM and we have some second thoughts about SEO capacities of ecwid. We use ecwid on worpdress with the last plugin and when we make simulations on google adwords (find keywords) giving a doirect link to a category (such as http://lucterius.com/#!/~/category/i...=0&sort=normal) google is unable to get any keyword. Trying the same test with a category a the wordpress blog (such as http://lucterius.com/articles/detection/) google finds a lot of keywords.

We did the same tests with some other more classical shop engine (prestashop, thelia, ...) and each time we give a ling to a category of a shop we get a lot of keywords.

What's wrnog with ecwid?
Thanks
Can you please detail what exactly tool you were using in this test?

Last edited by Qetzal; 11-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.
  #3  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

In Google Adwords, you have simulation tools (Tools and Analysis) to choose keywords giving some informations such as an URL.
Google tells what are the corresponding keywords for this URL (ie. keywords that have been searched and that have displayed this URL -> perharps with a bad ranking).
Giving an ecwid URL, google cannot select any keyword.
  #4  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

Hi all, we had a new test. We build a wordpress page with the same content as an ecwid product. Sometimes later the two pages are in google. The wordpress one is in the first google page and the ecwid one is not in the five first google pages.
Doing the same kewords search from the adwords tools, it is able to find keywords giving the wordpress page url, but it is not able to find any keywords when doing the same test with the ecwid url.....
Todays war is in google, how to improve this using ecwid?
Thanks
  #5  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

We noticed another point. When you browse in google you have two arrows in front of the site url that can be used to display a snapshot of the website.
All the url from our wordpress site can be displayed as snapshots except the ecwid direct urls of the form http://mywebsite.com/#!/~/product/ca...47&id=13064187

Regards
  #6  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
swift's Avatar
swift swift is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucterius View Post
We noticed another point. When you browse in google you have two arrows in front of the site url that can be used to display a snapshot of the website.
All the url from our wordpress site can be displayed as snapshots except the ecwid direct urls of the form http://mywebsite.com/#!/~/product/ca...47&id=13064187

Regards
Hi!

Did you check your Google Webmaster console? Does it display any errors?

Thank you.
  #7  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:01 AM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

Hi, there are no errors on google webmaster tools console.
When you try the sames tests as us with some of your wordpress sites with ecwid embedded, what are the results?
Thanks
Regards
  #8  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,946
Default

Hi,

Quote:
In Google Adwords, you have simulation tools (Tools and Analysis) to choose keywords giving some informations such as an URL.
Google tells what are the corresponding keywords for this URL (ie. keywords that have been searched and that have displayed this URL -> perharps with a bad ranking).
Giving an ecwid URL, google cannot select any keyword.
The fact that that tool doesn't find the page content means that it doesn't support Google AJAX crawling protocol, i.e. it doesn't itself substitute AJAX page URL (#!<...>) with a corresponding HTML page aliases (_escaped_fragment_=<...>) according to the specification. Most likely, the tool was initially done this way - Google AJAX indexing schema is basically aimed to provide Google search bot with indexable pages, it seems like the tool is simply not adjusted to that technique. But, frankly speaking, it doesn't have to - Google Adwords doesn't depend on it and it continue work on your store pages. What is also important, as far as I know, it doesn't affect page ranks in Google search results anyhow.

By the way, that tool will likely be able to parse URLs with replaced hash-bang fragment like this:
http://lucterius.com/?_escaped_fragm...uct/id=8726062

The URL above is an HTML snapshot of this page of your store:
http://lucterius.com/#!/~/product/id=8726062


Quote:
We build a wordpress page with the same content as an ecwid product. Sometimes later the two pages are in google. The wordpress one is in the first google page and the ecwid one is not in the five first google pages.
The main purpose of the SEO part of Ecwid Wordpress plugin is to make your products indexable by search engines, i.e. to make products visible for them. The idea of it is the following: when Google browses your store, the server-side script on your site automatically gives to Google a separate page for each of your products under the same URLs as your customers see. So, even though your store is an AJAX application and acts like a single page for your customers, it at the same time shows your categories and products as separate pages to Google, so you don't need to create any indexable HTML catalog manually. Later on you can use the individual products links for promotional purposes the same way as you would use the links to the individual product pages created manually. The profit of using plugin (and in particular its SEO part) is simple - you get all separate product pages of your store listed on your site in an instant, with the only effort to install the plugin. When creating these same pages manually, you take all effort of creating and maintaining all those pages yourself. Maintaining the pages for a lot of products is a laborious task.

So, the part of site's SEO the Ecwid Joomla plugin is responsible for is to "show" your products to Google in the format Google can understand. And your WP plugin does exactly that. You can already see the results here in Google:
http://goo.gl/dFsDC

As you see, it shows your products, so the plugin definitely works as expected.

Now, you want to lift your products up in the search results, which surely makes sense - every merchant eventually needs their product to be found and purchased (not only listed somewhere). But the thing is everything that the plugin can do is to make your products listed there. As to further SEO and other optimization, it is actually you who do that - plugin just cannot make you products appear on the first page, there is nothing it can do for that. Basically, search engines rate web pages basing on various factors: content, number of links, appearing in social networking services etc. In your case, the product links you referred to have been created recently, as far as I understand, thus they haven't yet got high ranks in Google.

Moreover, there isn't any pre-written instructions on how to succeed in SEO with any technology. SEO is always an experiment. The major search engines will teach you what content they expect, but they will never say: "Do exactly this and you are #1 in our rankings" - you have to find and refine that knowledge yourself (or find an expert). Tomorrow the thing that are likely to work may change and you then will have to change everything accordingly. Usually, as a general recommendation, they say external links to your shop are a big factor of indexing and ranking your site.


Quote:
We noticed another point. When you browse in google you have two arrows in front of the site url that can be used to display a snapshot of the website.
All the url from our wordpress site can be displayed as snapshots except the ecwid direct urls of the form http://mywebsite.com/#!/~/product/ca...
We've investigated the issue. It seems like it's a common issue for all sites that use the Google AJAX indexing specification - all hash-bang URLs don't have an instant preview available at the moment. I couldn't find an explanation why it happens, but I will continue looking for possible solutions.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
  #9  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
lucterius's Avatar
lucterius lucterius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makfruit View Post
Now, you want to lift your products up in the search results, which surely makes sense - every merchant eventually needs their product to be found and purchased (not only listed somewhere). But the thing is everything that the plugin can do is to make your products listed there. As to further SEO and other optimization, it is actually you who do that - plugin just cannot make you products appear on the first page, there is nothing it can do for that. Basically, search engines rate web pages basing on various factors: content, number of links, appearing in social networking services etc. In your case, the product links you referred to have been created recently, as far as I understand, thus they haven't yet got high ranks in Google.

Moreover, there isn't any pre-written instructions on how to succeed in SEO with any technology. SEO is always an experiment. The major search engines will teach you what content they expect, but they will never say: "Do exactly this and you are #1 in our rankings" - you have to find and refine that knowledge yourself (or find an expert). Tomorrow the thing that are likely to work may change and you then will have to change everything accordingly. Usually, as a general recommendation, they say external links to your shop are a big factor of indexing and ranking your site.
Hi, Thank you for your answer. We have some idea on what to do to rank a site in google, but we do not have any control on ecwid product except the product title that is added by the script. There some more informations that would be interesting to control, but the permalink is not eloquent and we cannot build the snippet.

In addition, can you please explain:
- why can we see the modified title with the escaped fragment and not when we crawl with the browser (we use SEO Yoast)?
- Why do we see the product twice on the page with the escaped fragment?

Thanks
Regards

Regards

Last edited by lucterius; 12-12-2012 at 04:27 AM.
  #10  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucterius View Post
Hi, Thank you for your answer. We have some idea on what to do to rank a site in google, but we do not have any control on ecwid product except the product title that is added by the script. There some more informations that would be interesting to control, but the permalink is not eloquent and we cannot build the snippet.
Snippets basically include product descriptions and titles - you build them in your Ecwid store. So if you want include some other info in snippets, you will probably need to modify product data in your Ecwid control panel. On the other hand, if you want to change snippets structure or add some extra details to them, you can modify the plugin code according to your requirements. What information do you want snippets to include?


Quote:
In addition, can you please explain:
- why can we see the modified title with the escaped fragment and not when we crawl with the browser (we use SEO Yoast)?
When you browse your store in a browser, you use its AJAX part only, i.e. there aren't any page reloads and additional requests to your server when you change store pages, which is why your store is very fast and convenient for your customers. Ecwid itself doesn't change page title, WP plugin does. When a search bot crawls your store, it changes the URLs to their _escaped_fragment_ versions and makes a separate HTTP request for every catalog page. WP plugin produces responses to such requests and that is when titles are changed.


Quote:
- Why do we see the product twice on the page with the escaped fragment?
When an URL with a _escaped_fragment_ part is requested, Wordpress plugin on your site returns an HTML snippet of the corresponding product page AND its AJAX version as well. This way, even if you customer will open an _escaped_fragment_ page (which shouldn't happen because _escaped_fragment_ URLs are only for interaction between search bot and your server), they will see the full-functional AJAX store. As to search bots, they see only HTML version of the page since they cannot parse AJAX. So, there isn't anything to worry about.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.