The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 AM

Facebook Thumbnail

First off, awesome cart and integration...its just plain great.

I haven't had any issues really at all, but i do need help with the below.

I need assistance with the thumbnail Facebook displays.

When I use the built in LIKE feature, works like a charm, shows the appropriate product pic.

However, when I copy the URL from a product page on the Ecwid cart, and share as "my fan page persona" , it shows a shop now button I made on the main word press site.

How do I make copying and pasting the URL to my fan page status the same pic as hitting the like button?

The wordpress copy and paste to my fan page works fine as well.

If I like, this pic shows up:

If I copy paste the same url the product is on, it shows this pic:
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Facebook picks the description and a picture for the shared link from the address you provide by making its own request back to it and trying to figure out the right text and the most illustrative picture. Basically it analyses the source code of the page you try to link to, looking for specific HTML tags in it. Try opening the source code of any page in your shop (Ctrl+U in almost any browser). You will not see your product description there, because Ecwid is an AJAX solution. The whole shop is represented with a few lines of JavaScript code. Being a modern AJAX aplication, Ecwid is fast, easy and secure - but the drawback is that the systems that analyze the source code of your store pages will not be able to see your inventory information. Ecwid's embed code has no means or permissions to change your site's source code to bring in the necessary data into it.

Hence we've developed the integration of Facebook Like anв Share buttons right inside Ecwid to provide a special URL that does bring the necessary information when requested by Facebook, but redirects the visitors to the exact page in your actual store where Like was made, when people visit the liked/shared link. This is the URL that you can see in the likes you made with the integrated buttons. If you just copy it and try to share once again (on behalf of page or from another account), it will show the right information once again. We encourage you to use this feature to share your products gracefully and correctly.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.