The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Show root category on all pages

Is it possible to make the root categories visible on my store front? I want the root categories to be visible above my sub-categories.

I want to do this, because I don't want to use the breadcrumbs or the mobile unfriendly horizontal-catgories widget on my site.

Last edited by Karim Khamis; 02-01-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim Khamis View Post
Is it possible to make the root category visible on all product browse pages? I want them to be visible above my sub-categories.

I want to do this, because I don't want to use the breadcrumbs or the mobile unfriendly horizontal-catgories widget on my site.
Hello Karim,

and thank you for choosing Ecwid!

I’ve inspected your issue and checked the settings of your Ecwid Control Panel in order to find a quick fix to resolve your case.

My understanding is, you want your customers to have an option to go back to the store home page very quickly from any other pages.

As far as I can see, you’ve customized your store with the help of a number of codes applied to your custom CSS theme in Ecwid control panel, and the code disabling breadcrumbs on your website is among them.

Basically, there’s a way to use the breadcrumbs in order to implement the display which you wish to have initially instead of completely removing them.

I suggest you may try the following workaround described below:

1) Remove the following code from your custom CSS theme in Ecwid CP

(System Settings -> Design -> Design Settings -> ‘Your Custom CSS Theme’):

Code:
/* Breadcrumbs: Remove */
div.ecwid-productBrowser-categoryPath {
  display:none;
}
2) And now insert the following code samples in your custom CSS theme:

Code:
span.ecwid-productBrowser-categoryPath-categoryLabel {
  display:none;
}
Code:
div.ecwid-productBrowser-categoryPath-categoryLink:nth-child(4){
display: none !important;
}
Code:
span.ecwid-productBrowser-categoryPath-separator.ecwid-productBrowser-categoryPath-separator-first.gwt-InlineLabel {
display: none;
}
3) Save the changes you’ve made and proceed to your storefront to see the changeover.

Finally you should find a ‘Store’ link which has become visible on all pages of your website, the root category in fact.

This article explains changes to breadcrumbs:

http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1161278

An alternative way to direct your customers to the root category is to develop a separate menu using the admin panel functionality offered by the Squarespace site builder solution.

To do that you may wish to create a new tab in the header menu of your website which can be named according to your wishes (‘Root Category’, ‘Store’, ‘Shop’, etc.).

Place a link or several links to the products you merchandise and proceed to the storefront to review the result:

Please let me know if the following workarounds helped you and let me know your ideas on the written above.

Feel free to ask me more questions, I will be glad to help you.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM

Hey Serge,

Thanks for your effort. Unfortunately this wasn't what I meant. I've tried to slightly edit my issue so you'll understand it better.

Basically, I want to make it possible to see the root categories above my sub-categories when shopping.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim Khamis View Post
Hey Serge,

Thanks for your effort. Unfortunately this wasn't what I meant. I've tried to slightly edit my issue so you'll understand it better.

Basically, I want to make it possible to see the root categories above my sub-categories when shopping.
Karim,

Once again I have read your concern thoroughly, and it seems like implementing a new separate menu containing links directing your customers to the root category may be a solution to have your case resolved.

Do I miss some details you’re trying to explain me?

Maybe if you provide a screenshot or image depicting your thoughts that will probably help me to understand the exact hurdle you’re facing with.

And thanks for your reports, they’re always welcome and help make Ecwid better.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 AM

Hi! I'd like to jump in as I have a question slightly different. I would like the shop page to open on Squarespace showing All Items. Then I would be able to have a linkable list (can be created on Squarespace, showing all the categories and sub-categories somewhere on the page (top/left/right) where customers can click and go to that category or go back to the Shop main page for all products.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined11696 View Post
Hi! I'd like to jump in as I have a question slightly different. I would like the shop page to open on Squarespace showing All Items. Then I would be able to have a linkable list (can be created on Squarespace, showing all the categories and sub-categories somewhere on the page (top/left/right) where customers can click and go to that category or go back to the Shop main page for all products.

Thanks.
Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay with reply.

If you want to create a custom menu leading to different categories of your Ecwid store located on the main page, you can easily achieve that by linking the items of that menu to categories directly.

Each category of you Ecwid store has a direct link to it. In order to locate these links you need to:

1. Open the main page of your website where the Ecwid store with all the products is;

2. Go to the necessary category;

3. Look at the URL bar of your browser - there's a link to this particular category.

4. Copy the link, create a menu item or a button in Squarespace;

5. Attach the copied link to the button or the menu item by pasting as the URL to which they should lead.

Thus, you don't actually need to create different pages. You may place this menu on the main page of your website right above Ecwid. When a customer clicks on it, Ecwid will simply open the necessary category without reloading the whole website page at all.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
category, pages, root, show, visible