The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 PM

Question Apply customer CSS only for Wholesale customers?

Is it possible to utilize the approach outlined in the Ecwid "how-to" link below to apply unique CSS rules only for a particular customer group (e.g. wholesale)?

http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/46376921/...s%20in%20Ecwid

/Chris
Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris197 View Post
Is it possible to utilize the approach outlined in the Ecwid "how-to" link below to apply unique CSS rules only for a particular customer group (e.g. wholesale)?

http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/46376921/...s%20in%20Ecwid

/Chris
Hello Chris,
Ecwid does generate unique CSS classes for all store pages dynamically which allows to modify look and feel of elements displayed on a specific page as described in this article. However, the content of pages is generated with same CSS classes for all site visitors. Therefore, it is not possible to build unique pages for individual group of customers, unfortunately.

Could you describe how the content of your store should differ for your clients? Probably, there's a workaround solution available for that.

help portal
Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Sure. My customer has 3 different "customer" groups - retail, wholesale and charity. They would like the following user experience:

- Retail customers would see a suggested retail price and a buy/sale price.
- Wholesale would see a suggested retail price and a wholesale purchase price.
- Charities would see an "auction starting bid price" and suggested retail price. They would also not see a buy icon.

From what I've read elsewhere, one workaround is to create multiple storefronts. But this would complicate back end inventory tracking tremendously...

Thanks,

/Chris
Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Exclamation

I may have come up with a work around, but could use some guidance on the implementation.

As quick background:

My client doesn't apply straightforward pricing deltas between retail and wholesale, and they want different pricing "fields" to display (I'm repurposing UPC and Brand as price fields) to show up depending on customer type. Further, I'm trying to avoid a scenario of creating multiple versions of the store to avoid sync issues around inventory levels, availability, etc.

What I've done so far:

I've created hidden "root" categories, one for each "customer" type. Under each hidden "root" category I've created a single visible category which serves as the virtual "home" for each version of the storefront. Under each of these single categories, I've replicated the product categories in my store.

So it looks something like this:

h_Retail
Storefront
Category 1
Category 2
Category 3
h_Wholesale
Warehouse
Category 1
Category 2
Category 3

Each product is assigned to corresponding categories in both the Retail and Wholesale structure. In essence, not making any CSS changes, looking at Category 1 under Storefront and Category 1 in Warehouse will yield identical views.

What I want to do now is modify the CSS specific for each Category tree (meaning anything under h_Retail could look/feel different than anything under h_Wholesale).

I see from http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/46376921/...s%20in%20Ecwid that assigning unique CSS is possible by Category ID.

My question is this: Is the category "structure" or hierarchy preserved or somehow implicitly followed within the CSS, such that a CSS change applied to the Category h_Retail will thereby also apply to Storefront and so forth? Or do I have to include in the CSS each and every corresponding category ID under the h_Retail hierarchy?

If not, is there a recommendation regarding how to most easily/optimally apply the CSS changes to capture all the appropriate categories under a given hidden root category?

I hope this makes sense...

/Chris

Last edited by Chris197; 07-15-2014 at 05:28 AM.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
css, custom, customer group