The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Billing Issue for Silver Plan

While I love the ECWID shopping cart system, my upgrade to the Silver Plan created a big problem in terms of billing, so I have gone back to the free plan. Here is what happened:

When your charge came through on my (US) credit card, it did not reference ECWID or anything else recognizable. (The company name on the transaction was www.2CO.com, and it came through from Canada.) The charge also did *not* come through as the $17 advertised on your website in the subscription area, but rather $17.48, with an additional $0.52 in foreign transaction fee.

As I did not recognize the name of the company, or the amount charged, I called my credit card company to find out where the charge was from. They also were not able to identify it, and found no reference to ECWID or anything else similar. At that point we figured it was a fraudulent charge, and the amount was marked as such.

This resulted in the canceling of my credit card and the re-issuance of a new one, which I am still waiting for. It has been a giant headache. And while the cancellation of the card wasn't technically your fault, I thought you should know all of this as the amount charged to my US-based account and the name of your company on the transaction created a great deal of confusion.

One last thing - an email was sent to me about the payment being declined, and that also came in with incorrect information. It stated that there was an attempt to bill my cc for $17.19. (?) These discrepancies, while small amounts, created confusion. The email was also sent from a "no-reply" address, so I had to go to a website link, confirm an email address and find a place to send this message. Not exactly an easy user experience. The 2CO website mentions "transparent operations." My experience, outlined above, was anything BUT transparent.

This is not a rant. You have a truly wonderful shopping cart service - the best I've yet found. If some of these confusing points in your billing systems can be rectified, I would be happy to re-subscribe to Silver in the future.

:-)
Kelli
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Thank you for this feedback. We are very sorry to hear about all these problems. Re-issuing a credit card is a great pain, please take our deepest apologies for the troubles caused.

Let me explain what actually happened and clarify each point:

1. The charge at $17.19 was actually in Canadian Dollars. Ecwid always charges fixed $17 in US Dollars per month. In your card statement the charge at $17.19 appeared because the order was made using Canadian Dollars as a primary currency, and 2CO converted the charge of 17 USD by the actual rate at that moment into 17.19 CAD.

2. Foreign transaction fee was added into the charge by your bank. Some banks decide to do that, and unfortunately Ecwid cannot change this. This fee goes to your bank, not to 2CO or Ecwid.

3. The ECWID name is indeed not included into the transaction data - unfortunately, this is how our payment gateway works. The 'no-reply' address is being used in the notification email from 2CO mainly because transactions are fully automated and unattended. If you need to get the real people in 2Checkout to quickly look into your issue, you need to contact their customer support the either of ways listed at http://www.2checkout.com/support .

Of course, such issues show that our billing in its current state needs improvements. In fact we are already working on a better and more convenient billing for our customers, and the changes to it will be rolled out soon. In the meantime, if you wish to pay for your account without using credit cards, you can pay with your PayPal account instead - please contact billing@ecwid.com

One more take, please, take our apologies for those issues.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM

I am getting the "foreign transaction fee" charged to my VISA, which I use for the recurring $17/month payment. They told me it was because you are charging it using foreign currency and not in USD. This is completely unfair to your customers and one reason why I will soon be migrating to a different cart.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM

yep, same thing happened to me. I was charged the $17 and an additional $3 currency conversion fee.

not too happy about this and haven't decided exactly what I want to do about it.
Everything about ecwid is go great, this is like a dirty fly that landed in the perfect pudding.

ETA: I've decided this is a deal breaker for me. I signed up for $17 a month not $20. I should not be billed from Canada. The billing company has an office in the US. Too bad, ecwid is a great product.

Last edited by S. Stalter; 08-31-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Stalter View Post
yep, same thing happened to me. I was charged the $17 and an additional $3 currency conversion fee.

not too happy about this and haven't decided exactly what I want to do about it.
Everything about ecwid is go great, this is like a dirty fly that landed in the perfect pudding.

ETA: I've decided this is a deal breaker for me. I signed up for $17 a month not $20. I should not be billed from Canada. The billing company has an office in the US. Too bad, ecwid is a great product.
Sorry to hear about this trouble. This is truly frustrating, I agree completely, the additional fees on what was seemingly cheap can make the offer not so interesting. Those fees are introduced not by Ecwid and not by our payment processor, but by the bank. We don't make any profit of those fees, your bank does.

Yes, billing from another country is the root of this problem. This is how 2Checkout, our payment solution for monthly subscription, works - they choose the payment processing scheme to their own internal policies. So, a possible way to defeat those unnecessary fees is to contact the 2Checkout suport and discuss the issue with them.

Since 2Checkout proved to be not the most convenient payment solution, leading to unpredictable processing fees for our customers, we are working on a very large set of changes to Ecwid's billing that will allow us doing the automatic subscriptions ourselves. There will be a US-based payment processor in this solution, so our US customer will no longer face such fees.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Eugene. I understand that it is my bank charging the fees. But.....I don't want to pay anyone currency exchange fees for a monthly subscription. I'll keep my account, but for now I will be using another cart.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Stalter View Post
Thanks, Eugene. I understand that it is my bank charging the fees. But.....I don't want to pay anyone currency exchange fees for a monthly subscription. I'll keep my account, but for now I will be using another cart.
I'm sorry to heard it. As a workaround, I would like to suggest you another payment method - you can pre-pay for several months via PayPal. In this case you will not be charged extra money.

I agree that it is not the perfect solution, and you will need to contact with us each three months. However, it will help you to avoid additional charges by your bank.

If this solution suits you, please, contact us at billing@ecwid.com and let us know how many month do you want to pre-pay and I will create an invoice for you.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
The Following User Says Thank You to Maya For This Useful Post:
S. Stalter (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Thank you, Maria(Maya). I have had a conversation with billing@ecwid a few days ago and they said they required 6 months in advance to pay you with Paypal.

I replied and encouraged Ecwid to set up "Subscription" payments with Paypal and then anyone can sign up with you and Paypal automatically takes the monthly payment from the subscribers Paypal account monthly and pays it to you. It requires Ecwid no additional effort. I did not receive any further response.

Perhaps there is a reason or maybe it's your geographical location that prevents you being able to set up subscriptions with Paypal.

In the meantime, I have moved on and am using another cart that ironically is set up with Paypal "Subscription" payments that takes my monthly payment via Paypal.

This thread was started in July of 2011 and the problem still exists. I'm sure you will get it resolved in time and perhaps I will return then.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM

We have the link to the PayPal invoice by e-mail.

As for the integration of the subscription via PayPal, that would really be a nice opportunity and it will most probably be added in future. It is not the geographical position that prevents us from doing it right away - it is the queue of the important features that needs every minute of the developers time, thus we're using the workaround with issuing the direct invoices for PayPal now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kess For This Useful Post:
S. Stalter (09-05-2012)

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
2co, billing, silver plan