The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Google Product Search New Requirements

I recently received an e-mail from Google Product Search regarding Google becoming more strict with information needed to have products listed in Google Product Search. I won't paste the whole e-mail here, but below is a summary:

Quote:
Starting May 3rd, 2011, we’ll require your product listings to include at least two of the three unique identifiers (Brand, MPN, GTIN). In order to provide as much information as possible to our users, we need your help in matching your products to our "product pages", where users are able to view useful data such as product specifications or reviews. While these attributes will not be required for your data feed to process correctly, they may prevent your items from appearing in Product Search results if not included. For more details, including what specific identifiers you should include for each category of item, please see our Help Center at http://www.google.com/support/mercha...?answer=160161
Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe Ecwid currently allows users to enter the three unique identifiers listed above. Are there any ways around this? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

We just imported our products into Google Product Search and we're similarly interested in adding at least ONE of the identifiers. If the ecwid API doesn't support this, is there a way for us to manually enter the identifiers and do a manual import to Google?

TIA.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Sorry to bump this but is there a way to add unique identifiers for Google Product Search?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Yes, currently Ecwid does not allow to input all three required identifiers, and you can input only SKU. Also at the moment Ecwid doesn't have a built in way to export products to Google Product Search, and merchants are to use the 3rd party unofficial tools. Unfortunately, none of the tools supports the said requirement for 3 identifiers and the missing ones need to be added later on.

For example, you can always use a UPC, EAN, or JAN code as your SKU and add the other missing identifiers into the files as separate parameters.

To do this, you need to use the 'Generator of tab-delimited files' way of importing your products to Google Product Search, as described here: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/24999610/...roducts-Search , pt.2. You need to go throught the steps of creating a tab-delimited file. After you get the resulting file itself, you need to open it in a spreadsheet program like OpenOffice or Microsoft Excel. In the dialog of import choose tab delimiter and UTF-8 encoding. You will see the products feed as a table

Then in the spreadsheet program add the columns with identifiers that you need and save the file. The spreadsheet program will ask you to change the format, but you need to keep the current format (tab-delimited text). This file can be successfully imported into Google Product Search according to their new requirements.
It is also possible to add the missing identifiers with a custom written automation script instead of using spreadsheet program.

If you prefer to use the other tool that exports products into xml feed, you need to contact the author of that tool to have it modified accordingly.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
... Ecwid doesn't have a built in way to export products to Google Product Search, and merchants are to use the 3rd party unofficial tools...
So the gadsden tool is an unofficial 3rd party tool? I missed that distinction since it was listed as option #1 in the KB. I will look into option #2 as you suggested and discontinue use of the gadsden tool.

Thank you for clarifying.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellular Repair Center View Post
So the gadsden tool is an unofficial 3rd party tool?
Yes, it is a 3d-party tool which uses our API to get information about products.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM

sounds like my grandma will easily understand all that for her online quilt shop

paid versions should never never ever require the user to be an xml coder.
Ecwid, you expect too much.
Why dont you just remove these 'goodies' that dont work effectively ? in the end you are just frustrating your users and making ecwid seem less compatible and less attractive.

I just spent an hour and a half trying to verify my site and even verified with webmaster tools the feed on http://ecwid-gbase.gadsdengraphics.com that i enter (with my store id added) is picked up but stated as not veriefed because my site isnt verifdied and i should go to dashboard and see. I go and it says 'verified' so i go back to my merchant center feeds page and it says not verified. Then it also says 0 of 400+ products inserted
i tried with usa and australia didnt work but the german one does

i cant stand this www3c thing that everyone makes these requirements for xml strict rules including google, then you open googles you tube and see the iframe has returned as an embed code! xxxx me how can google enforce xml standards then take the opne most unaccepted tag of all code tags and use it for their most used domain 'you tube'??

thye reason im digressing into this is because the obvious cause of this feed problem with adding google product search to our ecwid seo campaigning methods, is that the idiots at google dont increase compatibility, and that 3 of the 45 people who work on the software for ecwids feed software dont know their xml grammar properly or are too lazy to include all the propery tags such as product weight, product type etc

anyway for free verisons of open source stuff there would be no issue, but for a paid version to pur faulty things that dont work on your 'goodies' page is like putting rotten fruit on the market stall
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM

i must return to apologize. it took time for the wembaster central and the products domains from google to synchronize the fact i had verified the site
All works fine now.

I still think that ecwid would profit by a more user friendly access to these problems, but i understand the security issues and also the copyright issue with code spying etc, so considering ecwids advantages and the fact i know how to code or hack code, its not too bad. The seo thing is great for non-lazy writers because instead of the products coming up as content text in google, you can write specific pages and posts that are keyword tuned and insert the whole shop with targeted marketed products (show a default category) at the bottom of each individually customed page! This is absolutely brilliant because it gets rid of googles double content issue which is stupid really because a good post gets copied and pasted all over the world wide web, so double content is actually proof of powerful posting. What they should use as a search criteria instead is view the rank and importance of the pages with that post and find the earliest ever posting of it, and rank those higher. This is probably what they do, as well as checking if content is double on same domain or other domain and if link is follow or no follow (most are follow unless the governing software controls it).

Google lies to us anyway on the double content punishment criteria, they can not employ such a basic double content ranking punishment algorythm - it would take all major news flashes out of the game instantly!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM

We simply used the tool available at:
http://ecwid-gbase.gadsdengraphics.com/{yourstoreid}.xml

Downloaded that output to an XML file, edited it via Wordpad and added the extra values and uploaded it to Google's Merchant center.

Worked like a charm.

Granted, it would be nice if it were a little easier, but it wasn't too difficult.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Default Simple tool

You may use tool http://www.ecwidtools.com/, that intended to export Ecwid catalog to Google Merchant Center.
Service is FREE yet.

Last edited by mars-development; 07-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.