The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Kevin baird's Avatar
Kevin baird is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Adding additional options to cart without adding the base product again


We are selling CDs. I would like to give buyers the option to buy a tee shirt at a reduced price when they purchase a CD bundle (2 or more CDs). I have set up a separate product for each bundle (i.e. 2 CDs or 4 CDs).

I can add options for T-shirt SIZE and COLOR and then create variations. With this scenario, I can easily add a single t-shirt and get the right price. What I can't seem to figure out is how to allow someone to add a 2nd or 3rd t-shirt without adding the base product again.

Example: customer wants to purchase a 2 CD bundle(19.99) and 2 t-shirts(each $10, which is a $5 discount off normal t-shirt price). One Medium Blue shirt and one Large Red shirt.
  #2  
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin baird View Post
We are selling CDs. I would like to give buyers the option to buy a tee shirt at a reduced price when they purchase a CD bundle (2 or more CDs). I have set up a separate product for each bundle (i.e. 2 CDs or 4 CDs).

I can add options for T-shirt SIZE and COLOR and then create variations. With this scenario, I can easily add a single t-shirt and get the right price. What I can't seem to figure out is how to allow someone to add a 2nd or 3rd t-shirt without adding the base product again.

Example: customer wants to purchase a 2 CD bundle(19.99) and 2 t-shirts(each $10, which is a $5 discount off normal t-shirt price). One Medium Blue shirt and one Large Red shirt.
Hi,

I think it is not possible to sell different combos of the same product as a part of another product in Ecwid. However there is a workaround that will probably meet your requirements - giving a discount on some particular product by means of a coupon. Here is the details.

If you want your customers to get a discount for some particular product when they purchase another product, you can use the Discount coupons feature. In order to configure it in the desired manner, please follow this instruction:
1) Create a new discount coupon in your control panel: Promotions → Discount coupons
2) Set a percent discount for it (e.g. 30%) so that it will apply to each item of the promotional product.
3) Set a minimal subtotal limit for the coupon so that it will apply only when the cart subtotal is more than some value. In your case, your CD bundles cost at least $19.99 so you can set $19 as a subtotal limit - this way a customer will be able to use the coupon when a bundle is added to the cart.
4) Under the coupon limits, select one or several products or/and categories the coupon can be applied for. In your case, you can select the t-shirt as a product so the discount will reduce the t-shirt price only.
5) On your site, add a message promoting the discount.

Please let me know if you have any question.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Kevin baird (08-27-2012)
  #3  
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Kevin baird's Avatar
Kevin baird Kevin baird is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

One more quick question. I have implemented as you describe. It seems to allow the discount on only one t-shirt. I would like the customer to be able to get the discount on as many t-shirts as they want to buy as long as they have purchased 2 or more CDs. Is this possible?
  #4  
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Maya's Avatar
Maya Maya is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ecwid headquarter
Posts: 5,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin baird View Post
One more quick question. I have implemented as you describe. It seems to allow the discount on only one t-shirt. I would like the customer to be able to get the discount on as many t-shirts as they want to buy as long as they have purchased 2 or more CDs. Is this possible?
Yes, sure. It is totally possible, but you need to set discounts in percents in this case.

The thing is that discounts apply to the whole order in Ecwid. Therefore, if you have set absolute value for discount ($7.00 for example) coupon, $7.00 discount will be provided for customer who used it, it doesn't matter how many products with this discount has been added to the cart.

In order to make discount, which changes depending on product's quantity you should set it in percents (44% in your case). Moreover, we consider that discounts in percents are more motivative for customers than absolute ones.
__________________
Maya N., Ecwid Team

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
The Following User Says Thank You to Maya For This Useful Post:
Kevin baird (08-28-2012)
  #5  
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Kevin baird's Avatar
Kevin baird Kevin baird is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Maya, thank you for the quick reply. It now works as I would like, but leads to one more quick question. In order to get the price to be exactly $10 the discount is 44.28%, which the system handles fine. When the discount is applied, the message says: Coupon 'BUNDLE', 44.28% off applied

It makes it look a little hokey to display 44.28%. Is it possible to change the message to just say Coupon 'Bundle' applied?
  #6  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Maya's Avatar
Maya Maya is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ecwid headquarter
Posts: 5,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin baird View Post
Maya, thank you for the quick reply. It now works as I would like, but leads to one more quick question. In order to get the price to be exactly $10 the discount is 44.28%, which the system handles fine. When the discount is applied, the message says: Coupon 'BUNDLE', 44.28% off applied

It makes it look a little hokey to display 44.28%. Is it possible to change the message to just say Coupon 'Bundle' applied?
The "Coupon 'BUNDLE', 44.28% off applied" text generates on our server and displays on the storefront as it is. Unfortunately, it is not possible to change this text yet.
__________________
Maya N., Ecwid Team

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
 
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
product combinations, product options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.