The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Newby EGoods File Questions

Getting ready to implement egoods selling and am looking for a few answers.

1) Can I upload egoods files as either PDF files or ZIP files?
Most of our egoods (most less than 20MB) will work well as PDFs but a few might benefit from zipping into a more controlled, efficient file size via ZIP.

I will have about 60 "collections", or groups, of files that fall into the above descriptions. These seem pretty straightforward to implement.

I also have another file group that is "Any Individual File", that allows the buyer to choose from about 7,000+/- different individual small size (<100kb) PDFs, each created and named with a unique identifying number in the file name. This should allow the buyer to accurately choose the exact file desired, and allow the proper download to occur.

I'm looking at this as if the buyer was selecting a shirt which had about 7,000 sizes or colors available. So, to me, it seems like 1 product with a lot of selection available. Yet, it seems a bit awkward so I thought I'd solicit a few more experienced and knowledgeable suggestions on "how to". I'm thinking there is a better way to do this.

2) How do I organize/implement the ability to sell the 7,000+/- individual pdf files?

Any and all advice/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
Howard
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi, Howard.

1. Any file can be uploaded as an e-good. So you can upload ZIP archives without problems.

2. Unfortunately Ecwid doesn't allow to import product files using CSV files. It's possible to import 7,000 products at once, but it isn't possible to import 7,000 files. At the same time we all understand that uploading of 7,000 files manually is almost an impossible task.

So,

- First please vote for this idea: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...duct?ref=title

- Is it really necessary for your to create protected download links? If no, it will be possible to create some workaround, that will allows to store all your files on your servers and avoid uploading them to Ecwid.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Eugene,

How would you propose handling the workaround? Thanks.

Howard
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Lothrop View Post
Eugene,

How would you propose handling the workaround? Thanks.

Howard
The only workaround I see is to create a custom script which will handle your download links and send e-mails to your customers with them. It isn't an easy task, but it is possible.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.