The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 AM

customized electronic goods

I am selling customized e-goods. I am following the general model of adding an option on the product for the customer to enter the text in. Since the products themselves are electronic there is actually no need for human intervention in the sale. What I would like to do is automatically generate the file once the purchase is complete and make that URL available for the customer immediately. We (my freelancer and I) have looked through the API FAQs and the forums with no luck.

I've kind of concluded that this is impossible with ecwid but I wanted to verify before I move on. I really like ecwid as a solution and would really like to be able to make this work. Does anyone have a clue if this could be done?

Thanks,
Christine
Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 PM

This essentially requires post order processing. Can someone confirm that this can/cannot be done with ecwid?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 AM

I"m not sure if I understood...could you explain more about how this e-good should be "assembled"?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Lets say there is an option for the customer to enter their name when they add a product to the cart. Upon successful purchase, an electronic file gets generated by a script we are writing and the name is inserted into the file. This would require paypal or google checkout to redirect to that processing page and for the processing page to somehow get the value of the name option in order to insert it in the file.

Does this make more sense?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:44 PM

We've got similiar technical issues as we offer custom T-shirts, etc. Our plan is to let the user design/preview their t-shirt customization before they add the product to the cart.

It isn't available just yet but Ecwid is working on a upcoming API / Web Hook that would allow your programmer to develop an application like you are seeking. At a high level I could see it working something like this...
1. Your store products/checkout process is pretty much standard Ecwid, no customization.
2. You have a custom application that runs on your server that gets notified of orders as they come in. (using the upcoming API / Web Hook).
3. Your application would extract various product options, ex. Name, from the order and use this info in building your electronic good.
4. Once the electronic good is made you send a notification to your customer. In this notification, you can either attach the electronic good (easiest) or require the customer to come back to your site to pickup the file from a private download area (more complex). Btw, this notification is in addition to the ones a customer receives from Ecwid Shopping Cart.
5. Also be aware with this approach, in Ecwid Control Panel > Sales, I don't think there will be a way for you to have a reference/link to the digital good that your application built. You are going to have to build separate a mini management console to address customer support issues with your electronic goods "builder" application. Ex. please resend the file because I never received it.

Last edited by Max Hefter; 03-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM

How can I find out if this has been addressed? It has been a couple of months and I am about to start development on a different product because ecwid can't support this.

Thanks,
Christine
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Actually, it looks like webhooks are available now!

Quote:
5. Also be aware with this approach, in Ecwid Control Panel > Sales, I don't think there will be a way for you to have a reference/link to the digital good that your application built. You are going to have to build separate a mini management console to address customer support issues with your electronic goods "builder" application. Ex. please resend the file because I never received it.
Is there anything that may have changed regarding this last piece?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM

No, unfortunately WebHooks API is still in the works. But you can currently use such workaround to recieve programmatic events when new orders arrive or get payed: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showpost...27&postcount=2

The current version of Ecwid still hosts the downloaded files on our servers, lets your customers who made a purchase to download them in their unchanged state, and only this way Ecwid provides the control over unique per purchase file links and download numbers. It is still useful to vote for this idea: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...oads?ref=title to get an ability to change the files per each purchase.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Eugene, can you clarify please? Is the documentation on the ecwid site inaccurate?

Quote:
WebHooks

A WebHook is an HTTP callback: an HTTP POST that occurs when something happens; a simple event-notification via HTTP POST.

Ecwid will notify another application about important events happened: new order placed, new customer registered, order status changed, etc.

How to use this API: add new orders to Quickbooks or Microsoft RMS, synchronize the users with your CMS or other sites, subscribe users to the external newsletters(e.g. Mailchimp), generate pin codes etc.
Is it possible to bypass the ecwid electronic goods entirely until the change files per purchase functionality is available?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Keryakes View Post
Eugene, can you clarify please? Is the documentation on the ecwid site inaccurate?

Is it possible to bypass the ecwid electronic goods entirely until the change files per purchase functionality is available?
The documentation is totally correct, and on the page that you cited it is clearly noted that WebHooks API, Single Sign-On API anf JS API are not available for public usage yet.

It is of course possible to sell downloads not using the Ecwid's infrastructure for downloadable goods. For this, create the products in your inventory as usual, but do not add the files to them. The files being sold then need to be hosted elsewhere. Later on, upon recieving the orders and payments, you will need to manually or programmatically form the download links and send them to your customers.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.