The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Question

How To: Multiple Radio Button Selection

Good morning, does anyone have a suggested solution for the following problem:

A product can be customized by choosing 4 options from a list of 8.

How do I allow for multiple radio button selections and yet limit the total allowable amount of selections a customer can make? Easy enough to implement when you have access to the cart code, but since we are limited to only altering the CSS...

If this is functionality that is not currently available with Ecwid, I'd also like to know how much it would cost to have one of Qualiteam's designers to make this adjustment.

Thank you
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Have you thought about having 4 sets of identical radio buttons, the first called Option1, then Option2 etc?

You would also need very clear instructions, that a choice from each set had to be made

Might be a bit ungainly, but should work
Old 01-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Hi Ron, I did consider this solution, the problem is that people will choose say option A multiple times when they should only choose it once...having run 2 e-commerce sites prior to the one I'm currently working on, I can tell you that explicit instructions get ignored. Simple as possible is best.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM

I could not find where this is currently available in Ecwid as described so I've posted it as a requested feature in the "Ideas" forum. Hopefully it will get enough votes, it seems a pretty straight forward and common feature for product option control.

Multiple Radio Button Selection
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
I could not find where this is currently available in Ecwid as described so I've posted it as a requested feature in the "Ideas" forum. Hopefully it will get enough votes, it seems a pretty straight forward and common feature for product option control.

Multiple Radio Button Selection
I think this idea should be implemented as a part of the "Checkboxes as product options" one. Checkboxes is the right way to implement the thing you want.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 PM

I need this option available immediately for pizza toppings. Please help!
burleson99@gmail.com
http://eatatbabyjs.com
Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJs View Post
I need this option available immediately for pizza toppings. Please help!
burleson99@gmail.com
http://eatatbabyjs.com
Please, refer to this thread: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7696
Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
Thanks Eugene, but is that the only option? I saw the demo store's ability to have different selections. But that's not what all of us are trying to do. We need more than one selection within the same option. In the Ecwid Demo Store example, it would be equivalent to an iPad example, but we're (or at least me) am not seeing how the "variation" feature is an actual solution. Here's why....

Pizza? Ok, so far so good.
Pizza with Pepperoni. No problem. click click done.
Pizza with pepperoni, and Canadian bacon. Ok, that's another "variation".
Pizza with pepperoni, and Canadian bacon. and sausage. Ok, my mouse is getting a work out.
Pizza with pepperoni, and Sausage. Ok, wait. That's another "variation" altogether.
Pizza with sausage, and Canadian bacon. Wait, that TOO is another variation!
Hopefully by now you see where I'm going with this...

So, it's almost impossible to make a menu with the HUNDREDS of variations that would be needed to build a pizza.

While I appreciate the reply, if I had seen this concern addressed elsewhere in the forums I definitely would not have posted it.

I am fully confident that someone can make this happen. Since Ecwid is across Facebook, mobile, and the web, any other ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated by Paid Members, and a HUGE benefit for future growth!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJs View Post
Thanks Eugene, but is that the only option? I saw the demo store's ability to have different selections. But that's not what all of us are trying to do. We need more than one selection within the same option. In the Ecwid Demo Store example, it would be equivalent to an iPad example, but we're (or at least me) am not seeing how the "variation" feature is an actual solution. Here's why....

Pizza? Ok, so far so good.
Pizza with Pepperoni. No problem. click click done.
Pizza with pepperoni, and Canadian bacon. Ok, that's another "variation".
Pizza with pepperoni, and Canadian bacon. and sausage. Ok, my mouse is getting a work out.
Pizza with pepperoni, and Sausage. Ok, wait. That's another "variation" altogether.
Pizza with sausage, and Canadian bacon. Wait, that TOO is another variation!
Hopefully by now you see where I'm going with this...

So, it's almost impossible to make a menu with the HUNDREDS of variations that would be needed to build a pizza.

While I appreciate the reply, if I had seen this concern addressed elsewhere in the forums I definitely would not have posted it.

I am fully confident that someone can make this happen. Since Ecwid is across Facebook, mobile, and the web, any other ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated by Paid Members, and a HUGE benefit for future growth!
Hi,

Let me explain how you can use options in Ecwid to configure a product like you described. It is exactly what Eugene suggested in the related thread, though here are more details.

Your example with a pizza makes sense. You are right that there can be many variations for a product. However, please notice that there are actually only three options in your example:
- with pepperoni (yes/no),
- with Canadian bacon (yes/no),
- with sausage (yes/no).

Thus you can configure that pizza product so it will have only three drop-downs, which will provide customer with ability to select all possible variations. These screenshots illustrate what I mean:
in the control panel: http://www.diigo.com/item/image/1xdw9/vdkg?size=o
in the frontend: http://www.diigo.com/item/image/1xdw9/dq02?size=o

I want to note that if you know how every product option selection changes the product price, then you can configure it without using Product variations. You will just need to specify price modifiers for 'Yes' selections of each option like I did it in the example above (look at the first screenshot - the 'with sausages' option adds $1.50 to the product price if 'Yes' is selected).

On the other hand, if you want to consider each variation as a separate product (with its own properties), then product variations will be useful. Product variations treated as variations can have their own SKUs, prices, weights and product images, and you can track their quantity in stock separately. You can define product variations under the 'Variations' tab on the product management page in your Ecwid control panel.

Please refer to these articles in our knowledge base for more information about product options and product variations:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853269/...our%20products
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/40532454/...20Combinations

I think the suggested solution will fit your requirements. However, I totally agree that, in many cases, checkbox options would be more convenient than drop-downs with Yes/No selection. So such a feature will be surely added to Ecwid in one of the future releases. Please vote for the corresponding suggestion in our ideas base to get this feature implemented sooner in Ecwid:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...roduct-options

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Matvey, thanks for the help. We will have to 'settle' with the drop-down option.

I was looking at how the iPad automatically changed prices and images, then I realized that each of those variations (3g / memory / color) was set up using the 'variation' approach.

Once I realized that, then I saw why my price wasn't automatically increasing each time I added a topping.

I still wish there was another way to solve this. We offer 10 toppings (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j) and to set up all the variations of those toppings (letters) is almost impossible.

I've got two more restaurants that are interested in this, and my concern is that the menu now takes up a lot of the screen real estate. Perhaps if I add more descriptive text, the long list of drop-downs won't look so out of place.

Matvey, since you're on the team there at Ecwid, what would it take to spice up our mobile version m.EatAtBabyJs.com without compromising the Facebook and/ or website?

Thanks Again and let's keep moving forward!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
customization, multiple selections, radio buttons