The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Feature I'd like to see (backordering)

I posted it on the uservoice forum.

Often times I'll run out of a shirt or a hat,and I'd like to keep tracking that inventory on the store. But when they go out of stock, they become unavailable for purchase.

I'd like a setting to allow backorders to be place. It'd be nice if it showed that it was out of stock, but allowed the customer to place a backorder.

It'd have to be per product though, cause I sell alot of clearance stuff with a single quantity inventory, and on those items...when they sell, I don't want anyone to be able to place a backorder.

Here's the link:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...-stock-orderin
Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM

I thought it was possible to order out of stock products if you:

Step 1
Make sure "Hide out of stock products" in [system settings - cart] is not ticked

Step 2
In stock control for each product you need to control the "Quantity In Stock".

For those products that can be back ordered set this to "unlimited".

For those products that cannot be re-ordered select "Limited To" and enter your stock quantity.

All that is missing from Ecwid is a label that says "On backorder" when the quantity reaches zero, similar to "out of stock". Perhaps some custom javascript would do the trick in the meantime.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevated Aspects View Post
I thought it was possible to order out of stock products if you:

Step 1
Make sure "Hide out of stock products" in [system settings - cart] is not ticked

Step 2
In stock control for each product you need to control the "Quantity In Stock".

For those products that can be back ordered set this to "unlimited".

For those products that cannot be re-ordered select "Limited To" and enter your stock quantity.

All that is missing from Ecwid is a label that says "On backorder" when the quantity reaches zero, similar to "out of stock". Perhaps some custom javascript would do the trick in the meantime.
Not exactly, the Unlimited disregards the in stock quantity, basically disables the inventory tracking on that particular product, so it just continually says "in stock" on the storefront. I'd like to be able to have it say "0 available" when its out of stock, but still allow people to order it.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM

I personally wouldn't order if a quantity said "0".

What about if you did this.

Set all products to limited stock. Set the email when stock is low to say 2.

When the reorderable products reach that level you just switch the stock control to unlimited. You will also need to add a note to the product description saying it is on back order.

Or you might be able to hack this mod: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...ght=call+price to put up a label saying on back order.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevated Aspects View Post
I personally wouldn't order if a quantity said "0".

What about if you did this.

Set all products to limited stock. Set the email when stock is low to say 2.

When the reorderable products reach that level you just switch the stock control to unlimited. You will also need to add a note to the product description saying it is on back order.

Or you might be able to hack this mod: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...ght=call+price to put up a label saying on back order.
We're a manufacturer, and not a warehouse, so our customers know that often times we don't build specific products until they are sold. We wouldn't be using a function like that on every product, just a select few here and there.

From our business standpoint, people don't mind backorders nearly as much as one might think.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Products View Post
I posted it on the uservoice forum.

Often times I'll run out of a shirt or a hat,and I'd like to keep tracking that inventory on the store. But when they go out of stock, they become unavailable for purchase.

I'd like a setting to allow backorders to be place. It'd be nice if it showed that it was out of stock, but allowed the customer to place a backorder.

It'd have to be per product though, cause I sell alot of clearance stuff with a single quantity inventory, and on those items...when they sell, I don't want anyone to be able to place a backorder.

Here's the link:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...-stock-orderin
Agree, it's a nice feature.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Backordering is ESSENTIAL: So here is my idea for a workaround (just need some guidance?):

I am a Paid Member, so the "Powered by Ecwid.com" link is hidden, but I found it with FireBug:

<a class="ecwid-poweredBy" href="http://www.ecwid.com/?utm_source=ecwid-stores&amp;utm_medium=powered-by-link&amp;utm_campaign=Ecwid%2Bstores" target="_blank" style="display: none;">Powered by Ecwid</a>

If I change the Hyperlink to point to my Hidden Category "Backorder", and duplicate all of my store's structure (categories and products) as "children' of that Hidden category, and set their quantities to 'Unlimited" -- Then, when my customer sees "Out of Stock" they just click that "backorder" button to load the hidden mirror of my store???

This way they can order those "out-of-stock" products (with a note above the description warning them that they are "placing a back order and delivery will be in two to three weeks") AND i still get notifications that I am low or out of that product.

I would alos place a link in the products description saying "Click Here to Return to the Main Store".

I hope to hear from someone on this soon , my store is set to launch on our Social Network on Monday 11/15/2010 !!!

I will experiment until then ECWID ROCKS !!!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Verne - sounds like a good workaround in principal, but how do you plan to hide the category so nobody will stumble across it accidentally?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Andrew,

I have created a "Backorder" category and then disabled it, now I am puting a "backorder" button into the top-right of the product description and linking it directly to the enabled categories that are children of the disabled one.

Problem: I also have used the CSS to hide "breadcrumbs" (so the customer does not find the Backorder category) and also to hide the Subcategory Icons in the Product Browser (so the customer is led to navigate using only the Category Tab widget with cascading Subcategories). Because of this setup, I can not simply link the "Backorder" button directly to the main Subcategory under Backorder (Backorder > Apperal) since if I do - the Product Browser will only show the word "Apperal" which is not clickable.

So, now I figure i will have to link each individual product's "backorder Button" directly to its Mirrored unlimited stock counter-part?

Is there a better way?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 PM

There might be a way using custom javascript.

Logic behind it would be:

If product quantity = 0 show message this item is on backorder.
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.