The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Question

Subcatagories - already made

So I have a store with many items in it and root categories are sorted. Now I need to clean up my initial shop page so that it is not so overwhelming for the consumer.
But I am trying to link some root categories and change them to subcategories, under already existing root categories. But I am not understanding how to do that with more than one item.

I see that you can drag a root category, wait until there is an blinking icon by the category that you wish to put it into and then drop it. But when you try to do another category and put it into the same root category, it will not allow you, you have to put it under the sub category that you just dropped, making for a three tier ....and so on. Initially I want to be able to combine about 7 categories and change them all to subcategories, all under the same root category. But I cannot figure out a way to do this. Is there a way?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM

It is totally possible to drag many existing categories into a category in the Ecwid control panel, Products → Categories.

The indicator on the right (a dark vertical line meaning that you are dragging to the inside of the category under the cursor) only appears when the target category is collapsed (notice the [-] or the [+] button to the left of it). So you can just collapse the target category and then drag another subcategory into it. Once you do it, the target category automatically unfolds once again.

However, when the taget category is unfold and its subcategories are visible, you can drag in another subcategory in between those existing subcategories (or a bit above or below the only one subcategory), so that a dark horizontal line appears. This way you can conveniently drag and drop more subcategories and at the same time sort them in the list.

I have just tryed both ways (collapsing the root category and dragging in between the subcategories of an unfold root category), both ways allow me to add any number of subactegories into a root category.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
root category, subcategory