The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

how to charge no sales tax with free shipping

How do you have customers pay sales tax but offer free local delivery? My area is on state line, so offer free local delivery to area addresses, but outside of my state, customer is not required to pay sales tax.
I have set up zones and sales tax but something is not working right. For example, my company is located in SC, but on GA line. If SC resident buys, sales tax must be charged. If GA resident buys, they should not be charged sales tax, but can enter SC shipping address for free local delivery.
Despite setup, if GA resident buys, they are charged sales tax, but free local delivery option is not available even if SC delivery address is entered. If sales tax is charged, a message at bottom of order says Delivery not available.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
I have set up zones and sales tax but something is not working right. For example, my company is located in SC, but on GA line. If SC resident buys, sales tax must be charged. If GA resident buys, they should not be charged sales tax, but can enter SC shipping address for free local delivery.
The thing is that "North Augusta" zone that has been created for local delivery shipping method belongs to more common "South Carolina" destination zone. Therefore, when you have set tax for "South Carolina" zone, it was applied to the customers from "North Augusta" too. IN order to avoid this situation you should make some adjustment in taxes setup:
- Go to Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> Taxes -> South Carolina
- Click "New Rate", choose "New Augusta" zone and set 0 tax rate for it.
- Save changes.

Once you do this, taxes will be applied for all South Carolina, except the customer who have local delivery available.

Quote:
Despite setup, if GA resident buys, they are charged sales tax, but free local delivery option is not available even if SC delivery address is entered. If sales tax is charged, a message at bottom of order says Delivery not available.
I have checked your local delivery setup and it seems that it works exactly as it has been setup. The local delivery shipping method available for all customers from South Carolina with zipcodes 29841 and 29860. All other customers can use UPS or FexEx shipping methods for the order's delivery. If you have tried to get another behavior, please, describe how it should work and will try to find the solution for you.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Customer in GA (zip code 30917) should pay sales tax, but be able to enter a shipping address in SC (zip code 29841 or 29860) in order to receive free delivery.
What happens now is that customer is charged tax + delivery. I have tried to adjust settings but then all customers outside of 19841 & 29860 get a message that we do not deliver to that zip code, so I change it back.
I cannot find the right variation to make this happen correctly. I have set zones to key from delivery address and taxes to billing address.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Ecwid Team

In this case you should create different destination zone for shipping methods and for taxes.

1. Create destination zone for sales taxes for customers from SC.
- Go to Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> Zones click "New zone"
- Choose "USA" country from the list and "South Carolina" state
- Set destination zone name ("SC taxes", for example)
- Save changes
2. Create tax based on this destination zone
- Go to Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> Taxes and click "New tax"
- Set tax name and choose "Zone defines by" shipping address in the list
- Click "New rate" and choose create "SC taxes" zone
- Save changes
3. Create destination zone for free local delivery shipping method
- Go to Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> Zones click "New zone"
- Choose "USA" country from the list and states where it will be available.
- If this shipping method should not be available for the whole states, but for some particular areas, leave "States" list empty and set the list of zipcodes for which this shipping method should be available. Please, refer to this article for details: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/26372699/...stinationzones
- Set zone name ("Zone for local delivery", for example)

4. Go to Ecwid control panel -> System Settings -> Shipping and set created zone ("Zone for local delivery") for "Local delivery" shipping method.

Once you do this, shipping and taxes cost will be defined depending on shipping address. Taxes will be applied for all customers inside "SC taxes" zone, but free local delivery will be available for customers from "Zone for local delivery" that can include some addresses from another state.

Is it that what you need?

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.