The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Ecwid Team

A new version of Ecwid plugin for Wordpress (v.2.7)

Hi Everyone,

In the recent three weeks, we rolled out a few great features in our WordPress plugin which I'd like to tell about. Here is what's new in the version 2.7 of the plugin:
  • A brand new 'Add store' tool in WordPress editor toolbar. We always wanted Ecwid merchants on any platform to be able to add a store to their site as quickly as possible, like they add a youtube video or an image. In this update, we got closer to this goal in our Wordpress plugin – Ecwid is now integrated with WordPress WYSIWYG editor. A new 'Add Store' button in the WordPress page editor toolbar allows you to chose store widgets to show, adjust the appearance if needed and place your store on any page of your site in a few clicks. The new button seamlessly integrates with the default Wordpress editor. Check out the screenshots:
  • A new "[ecwid]" shortcode. We added a new shortcode to the plugin – [ecwid]. It inherits the functionality of the old Ecwid shortcodes and allows you to control every aspect of your store appearance by means of tweaking the shortcode parameters right in the store page code. Display/hide the search widget, choose the minicart layout, display different store categories on different site pages and so on. This shortcode serves the abovementioned "Add Store" button, and, by the way, almost every possible Ecwid code tweak is available in the new "Add Store" window, so you will unlikely need to edit the code in most cases. Still, an advanced Wordpress user may consider using shortcodes for more flexible and quick integration.
  • Compatibility with Wordpress 4.1 and the new "Twenty Fifteen" theme. The new WordPress version is coming soon and bringing a brand new 'Twenty Fifteen' theme. Ecwid plugin is now totally ready for the upcoming changes and will work OK in the new environment. So feel free to upgrade your site to Wordpress 4.1 as soon as it's released.
  • A new sidebar widget: Ecwid Store Page Link. The widget does a very simple thing: it adds a store page link to the sidebar so every customer can easily access your store page from any other page of your site. You may want to use it with blog-focused WordPress themes that don't have a pages navigation menu. A good example of such themes is the upcoming "Twenty Fifteen" theme that I just mentioned. In that theme, there is no pages menu on the site by default, so if you're going to use the Twenty Fifteen theme for your Wordpress blog and keep your store page visible, the new widget is the right tool to do so. In fact, whatever theme you use, you can consider adding the widget to your sidebar to make your store page more visible to visitors.
  • Slightly improved behavior of single product widgets. If you put a single product widget on your site using the [ecwid_product] shortcode, you might notice that it opens a popup with customer cart when a customer purchases the product. Now single product widgets are smarter: when the customer decides to buy a product and opens a cart page, the main store page on your site will be opened providing the customer with the built-in cart&checkout functionality. The checkout layout will fit better your site design and provide better buying experience when it's embedded into a page rather than in a popup-like window.
  • Fix for the Envision theme. The Envision theme didn't display Ecwid widgets properly because of a custom page content generation it uses. We issued a workaround from our side to let all Envision users install and use Ecwid plugin on their sites. If you use Envision theme and want to set up an online store on your site, go ahead and install Ecwid plugin, it will work OK for you.
  • Fixes of PHP notices. Some of Ecwid users discovered a few PHP notices (warnings) on their site referring to the Ecwid plugin. Although those didn't break anything, they could be quite annoying. We cleaned up the plugin code to get rid of those annoying messages. Now the plugin shouldn't show any odd message.
  • ● As usually, we also added several minor improvements and bug fixes.

Please let us know what you think about the updates.

Thank you.

UPDATE: A new version of the plugin is available (v 3.0): http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...072#post128072

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

Last edited by Matt K; 04-02-2015 at 02:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Nguyen Phu Cuong (12-29-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4795209 View Post
This is a big deal! Thanks for adding this! What would you think of updating the Ecwid plugin page at WordPress.org so that it has the green "it works" designation? Would this be worth the effort for Ecwid in terms of gaining more exposure and letting more developers know about your great service? As a WordPress developer it seems more people are unaware of Ecwid as a potential eCommerce platform than are aware of it.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comment. That's an interesting topic.

To be honest, I am not sure what effect that 'It works' label has on the plugin performance in the WordPress Marketplace. I mean, I understand that it is based on the number of users who clicks 'It works' after release of a new version and that it's better to have 'It works' rather than 'Not enough data' there. But do that icon actually have any impact on the installs?

As far as I know, one of the major factors in rating of the plugins in the search (e.g. when searching by 'shopping cart' in the WordPress marketplace) is the frequency of the plugin updates. For example, if a WP plugin is updated weekly, it has higher rank and more often appears in the search. If the plugin hasn't had any update during the last year, it's likely be in the bottom of the list. Also, I think the support and reviews on WordPress site are important. We do try to update the plugin as often as possible and properly handle support/reviews feedback to make Ecwid more visible for the WordPress users.

On the other hand, the 'It works' label doesn't look so important in the ranking. Frankly, the approach behind it seems a bit doubtful. After each plugin update, it is reset and start waiting for the users clicking "Works" or "Doesn't work". How the users should act:
1) Download a new version and check it
2) Visit the wordpress.org site again (why do they need that?)
3) Log in or create an account on wordpress.org. Most of the users don't have an account there and they do not have any reason to create one.
4) Vote

The next time the plugin has got an update, this needs to be done again.

By the way, the "works/doesn' work" mark doesn't appear at all when you're searching plugin inside your Wordpress site backend. So, maybe WordPress developers themselves don't consider this flag as an important. What do yo think?

Anyway, as I said, I don't have enough information on this, unfortunately, so I'd be thankful for any advice. Also, if you have any idea on how else we could make the plugin more popular in WordPress community, please share you thoughts. I appreciate that.

Thank you!

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Nguyen Phu Cuong (12-29-2014)
Old 11-09-2015, 05:07 AM

What should I do if the Add Store button isn't showing up on my WYSIWYG?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranges Country View Post
What should I do if the Add Store button isn't showing up on my WYSIWYG?
Hi Amelia,

Sorry to hear about the problem you faced. We'll help.

Did you install and activated the latest version of Ecwid plugin? Can you provide a link to your Wordpress site?

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 AM

Hi, Wordpress site is www.rangescountry.com

I only installed the plugin this week, I just went and asked it to check for updates, then went back to pages and I still only see Add Media, Spiffy Calendar and Add Contact Form.

Thank you for getting back to me
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi Amelia,

Thanks a lot for your reply and for providing us with additional details!

We are very sorry you have faced the issue. Thank you very much for reporting the problem, we are investigating the reasons of the issue and will work on fixing it. We have sent you an email with a request for some additional details about your Wordpress, please check your inbox.

While we are working on the problem, you can use a simple workaround - you can add the store to your page with the help of shortcodes. Please see below the basic code for adding the store to the page:

Code:
[ecwid widgets="productbrowser minicart" categories_per_row="3" grid="3,3" list="6" table="20" default_category_id="0" category_view="grid" search_view="list" minicart_layout="attachToCategories"]
The code should be added to the page in WYSIWYG [Text] mode, please see the screenshot: http://take.ms/K9y27

Please let us know what Ecwid widgets you would like to show on the store page and what product category should be set as default. We will help you to modify the shortcodes to achieve the desired appearance.

Thank you!

Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
wordpress