The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike C Send a message via Yahoo to Mike C

page changes don't track with live chat app

I know that the Ecwid pages aren't like typical pages in that the browser doesn't reload the web space when going from page to page, however, this presents a problem with live site monitoring. When a visitor starts navigating through the store, my live chat doesn't show him changing pages. In other words, it sees the Ecwid store as one page. Is there any kind of trick I can do to make it so that it sees individual pages within the store? The other thing I notice is that the page titles on my browser tabs DO change to the product name, but again, since the site monitor sees all ecwid pages as one page, that doesn't matter.. Suggestions?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Hi Mike,

Can you share a link to your site? I may be able to help if I can see the issue in action.
Also, what framework did you use to build it? (e.g. WordPress, Wix, etc..).

Best,

GT
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike C Send a message via Yahoo to Mike C

Hi, I PM'd it to you.. I also found this and posted at the end of the thread:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19828
If the tawk.to embed code could be added directly to ecwid pages, maybe the page tracking would work
Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM

I find this problem particularly interesting...

I'm hoping our friends at Ecwid's customer support may be able to think of a way that will allow the person who tracks the chat activity on the store's back end to see exactly which product a visitor is viewing.

Right now the chat program Mike's using (Tawk.to) can only see native pages (Home, Store, Contact Us etc..), but it can't see specific Ecwid product pages.

I'll keep tracking this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Pixels LLC For This Useful Post:
Mike C (05-18-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I know that the Ecwid pages aren't like typical pages in that the browser doesn't reload the web space when going from page to page, however, this presents a problem with live site monitoring. When a visitor starts navigating through the store, my live chat doesn't show him changing pages. In other words, it sees the Ecwid store as one page. Is there any kind of trick I can do to make it so that it sees individual pages within the store? The other thing I notice is that the page titles on my browser tabs DO change to the product name, but again, since the site monitor sees all ecwid pages as one page, that doesn't matter.. Suggestions?
Hello Mike,

Well, you are right - since Ecwid is an AJAX-based application itself, so apps that don't recognise AJAX content have problems with detecting page changing.
Of course, it's not something impossible - for example, since indexing such applications too was essential, Google solved this several years ago with AJAX crawling API. Of course, this is just an example to demonstrate the possibility, and in this case we need neither HTML snapshots, nor specific responses.

In practical terms, in case particular service doesn't recognise AJAX content, making one recognise it would require an amount of custom programming (or even creating custom integration) in any case. So, I could suggest two possible approaches:

One would be to get in touch with persons from Tawk.to to ask if they were going to make their app AJAX-friendly any time soon - AJAX is getting more popular, so there's a chance they're considering it.
And at the very least, they would know how exactly their app works, and if URLs or page titles could be utilised. Also, there's a chance they could suggest a workaround.

Another solution, that I could suggest from our side, would be utilising our JavaScript API to create something similar to custom integration: basically, our JavaScript API makes creating a script, that would detect the exact page that is being loaded at the moment, possible, so it might be of some help. Still, in this case the challenge will be passing acquired data to tawk.to - this step should probably utilise their API.

Hope this helps (at least a bit).

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.