The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Zero (0) price product sales

I would like to give a product away for free, through the ecwid cart, so that I can capture and verify the user's email. How can I achieve this? Currently I'm using PayPal, which doesn't allow zero-priced products.

I could set up another payment system, but which one would work best for this type of transaction? Also, can I still use PayPal for the other products? In other words, can I use the "free" payment gateway for one product and PayPal for the paid sales?

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM

I guess, the best way to do this would be to:

Enable a "Offline payment method". e.g: telephone order. You can also edit these - so you can change the name of it... and add instructions.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamos View Post
I would like to give a product away for free, through the ecwid cart, so that I can capture and verify the user's email. How can I achieve this? Currently I'm using PayPal, which doesn't allow zero-priced products.

I could set up another payment system, but which one would work best for this type of transaction? Also, can I still use PayPal for the other products? In other words, can I use the "free" payment gateway for one product and PayPal for the paid sales?

Thank you.
First, I want to note that Paypal actually allows orders with zero-priced products, the only requirement for an order is to have non-zero subtotal. In other words, an order, which is sent to Paypal, can contain free products, but it also has to contain non-free ones.

Regarding the zero-subtotal orders, I can advise you the following workaround.
As mentioned in the previous post, Ecwid allows to setup more than one payment option for your customers. So you can enable one or few offline payment methods in addition to PayPal. Your customers will be able to select a payment option at checkout. It will look like this:
- if a customer has only zero-priced products in his cart, he will select an offline payment method for placing an order;
- if he has non-free products in his cart, he will be able to select either an offline or an online payment.

However this workaround has two issues:
- if a customer with only zero-priced products in cart tries to select PayPal at checkout, he will be warned by a message in a popup window, that he cannot use PayPal for processing his order;
- a customer with non-free products in cart can select an offline payment method by accident, thus his order will be placed with 'Queued' status and you will have to contact him for processing the order.

Anyway, we agree that using zero-priced products can be useful for store owners in some cases. We are going to improve checkout process in Ecwid so an offline payment method will be automatically selected for zero-subtotal orders. Such improvement will be released with one of the future versions of Ecwid.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

The 'Skip payment method selection, if the order total is zero' feature has been released with the version 11 of Ecwid.

Please refer to this article for the information on how to set it up:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853256/...tioninthiscase

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
zero dollar sale