The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 PM

search box only for specific categories

Is there a way of getting the search box not going through the unshown categories.

At the moment I have one main category for everybody and one with 10% of for facebook. In the store everything is fine - only the main products are shown but if I use the search box - also products of the facebook category shows up....

Is there any way round it?

P.S. for all of those who can't import options with CSV. You create on master product with all your needed options inclusind shipping and then duplicate it as often as you need it (This will mess up your SKUs but if you add the real ones to your title you can still see it later in the order.)
Then you make a list with the fault SKUs, name, description, image, category and upload that. When uploading make sure you don't delete the ones in the system.

And then tara you have your products with the options. This way is much faster than uploading and changing the options later...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Is there a way of getting the search box not going through the unshown categories.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to exclude a category from the search index at this moment. So as a solution, you can remove the search box completely from your site.

Quote:
P.S. for all of those who can't import options with CSV...
Very nice workaround! : -)

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base

Last edited by qetzal; 11-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM

As my page is on wordpress.org can't I somehow build inside the wordpress searchform.php the product API >> the one which shows only one categorie??

at the moment the my searchform.php says:

<div class="searchform"><form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php bloginfo('http://app.ecwid.com/api/v1/189327/categories?parent=480444'); ?>/">
SEARCH <input type="text" value="" name="s" id="search" />
<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</form></div>

greetings
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes that's what I want

At the moment the searchform.php says:

<div class="searchform"><form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php bloginfo('http://app.ecwid.com/api/v1/189327/categories?parent=480444'); ?>/">
SEARCH <input type="text" value="" name="s" id="search" />
<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</form></div>
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa Dreier View Post
As my page is on wordpress.org can't I somehow build inside the wordpress searchform.php the product API >> the one which shows only one categorie??
Unfortunately it isn't possible to implement this yet, sorry.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 AM

I have thousands of parts in only 3 categories. In my case, each category is a brand. Customers need to be able to search for a word such as "bearing" and only see results for the brand (category) they are looking for. Removing the search button is not an option as they would have to browse through thousands of items randomely to find the bearings.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetzal View Post
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to exclude a category from the search index at this moment. So as a solution, you can remove the search box completely from your site.

Very nice workaround! : -)
Has there been any change to the request to restrict a search to a particular category tree? This would be a very useful feature.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM

I third this request. I too have categories that will need to be searched without items from other categories showing up. Removing the search is not an option as customers will not be able to find their item by browsing.
This will force me to open a separate store and maintain two databases with the some of the same products.
This is a serious problem. I don't want to maintain two separate product and control panels.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj03 View Post
I third this request. I too have categories that will need to be searched without items from other categories showing up. Removing the search is not an option as customers will not be able to find their item by browsing.
This will force me to open a separate store and maintain two databases with the some of the same products.
This is a serious problem. I don't want to maintain two separate product and control panels.
Hello,

I am afraid it is not yet possible to restrict a search in the front-end to a particular category. However, there is a related suggestion in our ideas base:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...eld-refinement

Please vote for it in order to get it implemented sooner.

Also, I'd like to note that our developers is working on the product filters feature at the moment. It will definitely help to make the product catalog structure more clear for customers so that finding a desired product will become easier. It will be released with one of the upcoming Ecwid versions.

Meanwhile, you can consider a workaround - make more detailed classification of your catalog by means of creating extra subcategories or assigning additional categories to the products. As you probably know, each product in Ecwid can belong to many categories. It gives an opportunity to create alternative classifications in the product catalog. For example, it is used for emulation of the Manufacturers/Brands functionality in Ecwid like described in this thread:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18026

So, if it makes sense in your store, you can use such technique.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. I checked out the alternatives. Unfortunately they will not work in my case. I have hundreds of manufacturers and need to set up searches for specific brands that will exclude searches from other manufacturers and categories.

Please let me know if it becomes available as I won't be able to expand my store to other product lines at this point and will have to consider other solutions.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
adjust, categories, csv and options, hidden categories, search box, subcategories