The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Who to call when your web accounts get hacked?

I recently had my gmail and web hosting provider accounts hacked by a contractor that I hired to setup my web server about 5 months ago. The guy ended up not doing a good job and we had words and I wrote him a bad review on his freelance account. I tracked his IP address through gmail account history and through media temple, low and behold, it was the same IP address that he used to access my vps web server at alien layer. I have the guys contact info, but who would I contact about bring this guy to justice?

He also purchased domain names with my credit card, hacked my odesk account, created fake jobs and tried make payments to his fake accounts, but luckily he didn't know my security question to post payments.

Oh and he deleted all of my mysql databases, luckily I have daily backsups and was able to get them all back up and running, 5 hours later. haha.

I look forward to your responses.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM

As far as I can see, Ecwid is not involved in this whole story. In fact, running a hosted and managed shopping cart like Ecwid has some advantages in this unfortunate scenario: no one who hacks your email can erase Ecwid's database (because no one except for Ecwid team has an access to Ecwid database); if that malicious person deletes your Ecwid products or alters the cart settings, our engineers can always find out what and when was changed and restore the products and settings to their unaltered state. An Ecwid store owner can get back to business fast and with minimal loss, if any at all.

As to legal actions against the attacker, I'd suggest to find a professional lawyer for that or at least consult with the police.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
As far as I can see, Ecwid is not involved in this whole story. In fact, running a hosted and managed shopping cart like Ecwid has some advantages in this unfortunate scenario: no one who hacks your email can erase Ecwid's database (because no one except for Ecwid team has an access to Ecwid database); if that malicious person deletes your Ecwid products or alters the cart settings, our engineers can always find out what and when was changed and restore the products and settings to their unaltered state. An Ecwid store owner can get back to business fast and with minimal loss, if any at all.

As to legal actions against the attacker, I'd suggest to find a professional lawyer for that or at least consult with the police.
You are right, ecwid is not involved at all. This happened on our webserver, odesk and gmail accounts only. I am thankful for you guys having such a secure way of making us feel comfortable.

I was just trying to get advice from people in the community who maybe have gone through this experience like I had. Did they get justice? Were they able to get in contact with authorities... so on and so fourth.

So again, ecwid was not involved. Just asking for some advice from the community.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM

Eugene, is correct again...
you have to take it on a local level, and you'll need proof of ip address connecting and reconnecting to the server and changing your info.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 AM

You can try to contact their customer support. I'm not sure how much help they can be but certainly they will suggest solutions.

Someone tried to hack my gmail account recently too but good thing I was able to do their 2 step verification. Basically in addition to your regular password, you have to enter a one time code generated on an app on your smartphone (iPhone, Android, blackberry). For a complete step by step instructions go here http://darktips.com/how-to-protect-y...-from-hackers/
The Following User Says Thank You to olivia hall For This Useful Post:
Qetzal (06-08-2012)

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.