The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Clarification on Recurring Payments (i.e. Subscription Service)

I've read through the other threads regarding setting up a subscription service for my site https://www.valentefamilycoffee.com/buy-coffee/(we sell small batch roasted coffee beans that we will be shipping once / twice month).

I have setup and configured a "Subscription button" on paypal for each of my two subscription types (6mo / 12mo) and added them to my product description.

Clicking on the subscription link takes me to PayPal to complete the transaction.

My question is this: I assume that by going to PayPal that I completely LOSE all visibility into the transaction from ECWID including not capturing customer, shipping, and payment information, correct?

If true, does anyone know if adding a PayPal as a channel in ShipRobot will actually create a new order every month when the customer card is charged?

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi Doug! Thanks for getting in touch.
Quote:
I have setup and configured a "Subscription button" on paypal for each of my two subscription types (6mo / 12mo) and added them to my product description. Clicking on the subscription link takes me to PayPal to complete the transaction. My question is this: I assume that by going to PayPal that I completely LOSE all visibility into the transaction from ECWID including not capturing customer, shipping, and payment information, correct?
Yes, I'm afraid, you're right. You added PayPal subscription buttons right to product description and when a buyer clicks one of these buttons, it takes them to a separate PayPal's payment page that has no connection with your Ecwid store and thus that purchase won't appear on your order list in the Ecwid Control Panel → My Sales → Orders. I described a similar approach and one alternative solution on forums back in 2015, please, take a look.

Also, I should mention, now there are a few more options for getting subscriptions and recurring payments with Ecwid:
  1. Saving customers' payment details using Stripe payment gateway and charging customers anytime later. When you use Stripe as a payment option in your store, you're able to save buyers' payment details and charge them later at any point in time manually through your Stripe account.
  2. It's possible to implement the exact feature you need by means of a custom solution made just for your store by utilizing our and your payment gateway's APIs. Implementing such a solution requires some coding and thus programming skills, so you may consider hiring a programmer for doing this job for you. We have docs on this—see all necessary links below. Alternatively, you might request a quote for accomplishing this task from our customization team. Just let me know if you're interested in this and they'll reach you out shortly with the details.
  3. There's a third-party app in the development that will add such functionality to Ecwid. It's using Stripe for accepting such payments: If you'd like to participate in beta testing. All that you need is:
    • A paid account with Ecwid.
    • An account with Stripe payment processor. Please, mind that you should set up Stripe in your store and enable the feature that allows saving customers' credit card detail for later use. More details below.
Quote:
If true, does anyone know if adding a PayPal as a channel in ShipRobot will actually create a new order every month when the customer card is charged?
As far as I can see, ShipRobot, a multi-channel shipping solution, simply imports PayPal orders to the system and creates shipping labels for them. The same goes for orders from Ecwid—they have an integration with Ecwid as well. Still, I suggest you get in touch with them directly, to find this out.

More on the topic:

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM

I was able to set my Paypal subscription API for the T shirt a Month Club on my Facebook page Angry Tee's. I set it up with drop down menus so the customer could select style of t shirt, Genre, favorite colors..etc...I then plugged that into a 3rd party iframe static app so it would run on Facebook. I can manipulate the code on the app, much like you can manipulate the code in the description setting on ECWID. If you do it similar to the way I have described, when your customer makes an orders a subscription through Paypal, you will capture the customers shipping address and preferences. you can also include a comments box for the customer in the API. From there you open your Paypal and you will have the customers confirmed shipping address. Open Ship Robot, start a new order, cut and paste the address in...After that just go back and reopen the order every month until the subscription ends.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Trying to accomplish the same thing. What 3rd party iframe app are you using? More details would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:40 PM

I am using the Thunderpenny iframe. I just outlined everything I wanted on the Paypal design button and let them do most of the coding for me, because I am not very good at coding, then I used a combo of CSS and HTML codes to manipulate the look. When a customer makes a purchase, their info gets transmitted along with all the selection they made. You just have to start a new order or add a new order, then just cut and paste the address info from Paypal to Shiprobot...After that you will be able to return to the shipments setting on Shiprobot and you can reopen the order and just print a new label and ship again
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 AM

Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I am interested in the third party app that would work between Stripe and Ecwid to allow subscriptions. Where could I get additional information?

Thanks,
Charles
Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bedell View Post
Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I am interested in the third party app that would work between Stripe and Ecwid to allow subscriptions. Where could I get additional information?

Thanks,
Charles
Hello Charles,

This is Stacy from Ecwid Customer Care team.

Thank you for contacting us! I'm here to help you.

Such integration might be possible with the help of a custom developed script using Ecwid API: https://developers.ecwid.com/api-documentation
You can do it yourself, hire a developer or contact our customization team at https://ecwidcom.typeform.com/to/vIlijv and they will get back to you with a quote.

Also, please, keep in mind that you still can use Stripe payment gateway, as it is, that allows to store card details in Stripe and charge your customers later after they have placed an order and used Stripe as the payment method.

And, you can use PayPal subscriptions button: https://www.paypal.com/pdn-recurring In this case, your Ecwid store will work as a simple products catalog and all recurring billing will be fully processed on the PayPal's side. You will be able to check all your new subscriptions and the payments for existing ones in your PayPal merchant account.

Thank you.

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Saving customers' payment details using Stripe payment gateway and charging customers anytime later. When you use Stripe as a payment option in your store, you're able to save buyers' payment details and charge them later at any point in time manually through your Stripe account.
Hello, I know this is an older thread, but may I get more information with regards to the mentioned saving card information in STRIPE? So after customer has successfully made the payment through STRIPE, their info and card info will be stored in STRIPE under "Customers"? So I can create subscription/billing in STRIPE on it? but does that mean, after the first payment, moving forward, the transactions won't be captured by ECWID side?

Also, what kind of plan do I need to upgrade to enjoy this feature?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi there,

It's Alex Flint from Ecwid Customer Care Team. Thanks a lot for your post. I'm here to help you.

Quote:
Hello, I know this is an older thread, but may I get more information with regards to the mentioned saving card information in STRIPE? So after customer has successfully made the payment through STRIPE, their info and card info will be stored in STRIPE under "Customers"? So I can create subscription/billing in STRIPE on it?
Yes, that is right. Your customers who have placed an order paid via Stripe, will automatically appear in your Stripe dashboard and their profile will be shown there. This will allow you to return and charge the card at a later date using the “+ Create Payment” link in your Stripe dashboard.

Quote:
but does that mean, after the first payment, moving forward, the transactions won't be captured by ECWID side?
Yes, the transactions, that are issued from your Stripe dashboard, won't appear in Ecwid automatically, I'm sorry. However, you can manually create orders in your Ecwid Control Panel > My Sales > Edit Orders if you want.

Quote:
Also, what kind of plan do I need to upgrade to enjoy this feature?
The Stripe payment gateway is available on all our Paid plans.

If you want to learn more on the topic, please, refer to our article on Stripe payment gateway.

Hope I was helpful. If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Flint View Post
The Stripe payment gateway is available on all our Paid plans.
Hi Alex thanks for your reply.
As mentioned, my biggest need is this "saving customer card info" feature so that I can create subscription plan.
Currently I am using a free plan, which already allows me to use Stripe as payment gateway. But it does ask me to "upgrade" to enjoy the "saving customer card info" feature. So want to clarify, to have that specific feature, which paid plan do I need to upgrade to?

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
monthly payments, recurring billing, recurring payments, recurring purchases, subscription