The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Google Analytic Page Names/Links?

I am now receiving analytics for our a store we built for www.candyhouse.net but all of the pages appear as /category/394420 and so on within Google Analytics. I can't tell what product this is because it's a number and not a name. When I click to view the page from within Analytics, it's trying to take me to, for instance.

http://www.candyhouse.net/category/394420

The URL structure isn't correct so it just gives me an error when I try to view the page.

-----------------
Server object error 'ASP 0230 : 80004005'
Server.Transfer Error
/backup/productcart/pc/404b.asp, line 4
The call to Server.Transfer failed while loading the page.
-----------------

I'm not sure how we're going to be able to tell which page it's referring too?
Help?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Ecwid Team

Please refer to this article: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/23947993/...ookinGAbackend

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Default No names?

So in other words, it's not going to say a name of a category, it's going to be the number of the category and the number of the product? We're going to have to figure out the numbers for the categories and the products to be able to figure out what page the analytic code is referring too? How can I view the page within Google analytics without getting the page error? Is there any way to change ecwid to use the actual category and product name in the ecwid URL instead of numbers? That would make it easier in analytics to know which page google is referring too.

Here's what it looks like in analytics, and when I click on the view this page, so I can see what page analytics is referring too.

I get this error.

It tries to open this URL http://www.candyhouse.net/category/394626

Is it possible to get analytic to display the page when you click view this page? Would setting up Inline SEO solve these issues?

Last edited by AB Security; 11-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Ecwid Team

Please let me quote the article from our KB, it answers almost all your questions:

Quote:
All Ecwid product pages are dynamic and generated on the fly. A page isn't refreshed, Ecwid just updates the HTML code on the page. It allows loading new pages really fast.

The traditional way to track pages is to add some JS code to the page code which is executed each time you load a page and tracks your hit. If you try to use this traditional way with Ecwid, you will see that your browser will load your page just ONCE and all the other clicks in your store won't cause page reloading, and the result doesn't generate a hit. So your customer will open your store and see 100 products, but the stats will show only 1 view.

In order to overcome this limitation, we use Google Analytics API to emulate page loads. When you open a dynamic Ecwid product page, Ecwid sends a special JS request to Google Analytics saying that a new product page was opened. This way allows getting the exact number of views of your AJAX pages. That is why it's necessary to set up GA in your Ecwid back-end to get the exact stats.

How do Ecwid pages look in GA backend?
Since Ecwid emulates page loading, the "virtual" pages appear in your Google Analytics back-end. What it means: the Ecwid pages and links you see in the GA back-end don't point to actual pages. However each "virtual" page corresponds some real page in your store.
So,

1. Yes, at the moment you can see only product and category ID in the GA backend.
2. It is easy to find the necessary product/category if you know its ID.

Category: http://YOUR_STORE_URL#ecwid:category=ID&mode=category
Product: http://YOUR_STORE_URL#ecwid:mode=product&product=ID

3. If you click a page in the GA backend, the error appears, because the page's URL is actually virtual. It doesn't exist really, however it is related to some really existing store page.

4. We will consider improving the existing behaviour.

The Following User Says Thank You to Qetzal For This Useful Post:
Carol Poe (11-26-2020)
Old 11-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Default Request?

Thanks for the response. I figured this was the case. Is there already a good feature request for this already started in the idea area of ecwid that I can vote on? Don't get me wrong, you guys do a great job and I love ecwid, it would just be nice to be able to send reports to clients and have it be easy for them to figure out which page the reports are referring too.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Security View Post
Thanks for the response. I figured this was the case. Is there already a good feature request for this already started in the idea area of ecwid that I can vote on? Don't get me wrong, you guys do a great job and I love ecwid, it would just be nice to be able to send reports to clients and have it be easy for them to figure out which page the reports are referring too.

Thanks
Please create a new idea there. Yes, I agree, it would be a nice feature.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 AM

This is all great but the product and category IDs don't show in Facebook page url.

I can export products to csv file and see Product ID but this does not show Category ID just the name.

Is there another way to cross reference Category IDs within control panel?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM

You can easily correlate categories and products in your shop to their IDs under GA the following way:

1. Open http://jewelrybysassy.ecwid.com/simple-store
2. Navigate to the product or category of interest
3. Look at your browser's address bar: the category ID or product ID is there in the parameters, as pictured

Category ID:

Product ID:

You can also copy the IDs from GA and put into these URLs to go to that page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catid.gif
Views:	333
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	552   Click image for larger version

Name:	proid.gif
Views:	348
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	553  

Last edited by Eugene Rimmer; 01-28-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Default But where is the Category ID?

Thanks for the quick response. I see that I can insert the product ID in the Url which is well and fine but how do I know what the Category ID is? Plus some of the GA hits point to only Categories so I need to know the Category ID. My best solution so far is to search for the Product ID in the Product CSV export per attached, but I have over 200 + products and we are adding more weekly.(plus this doesn't resolve Category issue) If the export had a Category Name and ID that would be helpful until Ecwid can program a more end-user "friendly" solution.

See attached:

Thanks,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Product List Export.GIF
Views:	194
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	554   Click image for larger version

Name:	GA Content.GIF
Views:	164
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	555  
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelry by Sassy View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I see that I can insert the product ID in the Url which is well and fine but how do I know what the Category ID is? Plus some of the GA hits point to only Categories so I need to know the Category ID. My best solution so far is to search for the Product ID in the Product CSV export per attached, but I have over 200 + products and we are adding more weekly.(plus this doesn't resolve Category issue) If the export had a Category Name and ID that would be helpful until Ecwid can program a more end-user "friendly" solution.

See attached:

Thanks,

Charlie
You could also quickly open the category by its ID in your mobile catalog at
http://jewelrybysassy.ecwid.com/category?CATEGORY-ID

where CATEGORY-ID is real category ID you see in your GA account. For example, on your screenshot outlined category should open at http://jewelrybysassy.ecwid.com/category?594146 (likewise, the outlined product opens at http://jewelrybysassy.ecwid.com/product?2070170 )

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
404, analytics, mystery