The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 AM

Default Tax not calculating correctly with different results in different browsers.

Hi,

I am the developer for Dragons Lair Motorsports and am currently developing a WordPress site using ecwid for commerce (http://dragonslair.bitebeta.com/online-store/). I'm having problems implementing tax.

The tax setup required is simple - a 10% GST applied to Australia . I've setup a single destination zone with just the country "Australia" in it and have created a single tax "GST" which applies to the Australia destination zone.

What I am seeing is different results in different browsers. One profile of Mozilla 5.0 always shows estimated tax as '0' no matter which country you select. Another profile of Mozilla 5.0, Mozilla 3.6.18, Chrome 13.0.782.107 m and Opera 11.50 shows the correct tax for Australia however if you select a different country, it still shows the 10% GST as estimated tax. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steph.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Thank you for your report, I could reproduce this issue with the taxes being applied differently in some selected browsers and sessions. I have already reported it to our developers, more updates on this thread will follow as they investigate the matter.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Thanks Eugene. I'll wait for an update.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM

Hi Guys. Any news on this? Our client is nearly ready to launch the site and we'd really appreciate this basic (but very important!) functionality to be working. Our client is really needing this. Some of his products are $25,000+ and we'd really like the tax to be calculated correctly.

Just another thing I've noticed that may be related. If I turn on the include tax in product prices, it doesn't seem to add the tax. When I view the product, it says "This price includes taxes: GST $0.00".

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM

The reason why that happens is that your tax's zone is defined by the shipping address. In your shop some (if not all) products do not have weight and hence do not trigger the shipping address form on checkout. Hence, if the shipping address of the client is not known, the zone for the tax will not be properly detected and most likely it will point to The World zone (outside any of your defined zones). In your setup that means $0.00 taxes.

Sometimes, if the previously placed orders are remembered in your browser's session, the zone for the tax might be detected using the address in the last order, which is why you can see the tax in one browser profile and see no taxes in another profile.

Hence you need to
a) either set the weights for your tangible product to require customers to input their shipping address and to allow Ecwid to properly detect the zone based on that shipping address
b) or (if setting weights for all your products is not feasible for you) reconfigure your tax in the Ecwid control panel → System Setttings → Taxes so that the billing address is used to define the zone.

This way the zones will be detected properly and the tax will be calculated as you intend and consistently accross all browsers and profiles.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the clarification. We've set taxes to use the billing address. I had to explicitly set the weight for each product to '0' for the shipping to work, but that was an easy task with export/import.

I've checked the functionality across different browsers and it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks again,

Steph.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Lair Motor Sports View Post
Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the clarification. We've set taxes to use the billing address. I had to explicitly set the weight for each product to '0' for the shipping to work, but that was an easy task with export/import.

I've checked the functionality across different browsers and it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks again,

Steph.
Glad you could work it out. However, this inconsistency across browsers is considered an internal problem by our developers, and it will be fixed with the upcoming release of Ecwid. Thank you for reporting it.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 PM

No worries Eugene. The site had a "soft" launch on Friday: wwww.dragonslairmotorsports.com.

I've noticed another issue related to tax. I'm using the JS product API and Tempo to render featured and clearance products on the home page. The API doco mentions that the product price should include any applicable taxes. I assume that the 'GST' should be applied when ecwid detects an IP from Australia. Can you comment on this?
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.