The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Question

Weebly integration / app on the way?

Hi there

i am planing a online shop for my already existing Weebly site. ECWID seems to be an interesting solution, although according to the problems discussed in the forum and especially regarding the google indexing problem, the ECWID & Weebly integration seems still a bit groggy.

So my big question before subscribing to a plan in ECWID:

Are there any plans/develompents on the way to release an out of the box integration / instant ready & easy to use app for weebly sites à la your WIX integration?

Infos on this would really make my decision easier if I should go with ECWID, thanks!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Frey View Post
Hi there

i am planing a online shop for my already existing Weebly site. ECWID seems to be an interesting solution, although according to the problems discussed in the forum and especially regarding the google indexing problem, the ECWID & Weebly integration seems still a bit groggy.

So my big question before subscribing to a plan in ECWID:

Are there any plans/develompents on the way to release an out of the box integration / instant ready & easy to use app for weebly sites à la your WIX integration?

Infos on this would really make my decision easier if I should go with ECWID, thanks!
Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for your question!
We are very glad to hear that you are considering using Ecwid as online store for your Weebly website.

There are two good news:
The first one is that Ecwid app for Weebly is already available in Weebly App Center. So, now the installation and further adjustments are much more convenient.

How to find the app:
1. Log into your Weebly account
2. Navigate to the Build section and then to "Apps"

3. Go to App Center
4. Click "Search" and type "ecwid" there

5. Here it is!

The second piece of good news concerns the SEO issue.

Few background notes:
Ecwid is an AJAX application. It means that products, categories and all the other content of your store is delivered to a visitor dynamically using JavaScript.
Search engines were used to be unable to properly index JavaScript content, that's why many AJAX applications have troubles with SEO.

In order to change this situation Google has developed AJAX Indexing specification that helped to make dynamic content visible for search engines.

Ecwid supports this technology — it's implemented by default in our plugins for Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal and also in the Ecwid app for Wix.

However, if you use another platform, you had to implement Google AJAX Indexing for your store by yourself.

This approach requires modifying the PHP sources of your website, which Weebly doesn't allow. So that was a problem.

And now to the good news again
Google announced that now their indexing system renders web pages more like a typical modern browser, with CSS and JavaScript turned on now.

It means that implementation of AJAX Indexing technology is not required to make your Ecwid store visible for Google currently.

So, according to these changes, Ecwid stores added to the Weebly websites should be indexed successfully without any additional adjustments.

I hope this information will help you to make a decision.
Should you have any further questions, just let me know. I'll be glad to help you.

Thanks!

Last edited by Arthur Belostotsky; 11-12-2015 at 09:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Belostotsky For This Useful Post:
Gabriel Frey (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up What are the benefits of the App?

Dear Arhutr

thank you so much for the input, I was exactly searching this and couldnt find anything some weeks ago! It must be a pretty new app

Unfortunately Weebly doesnt let me try the App as I would have to sign up for the much more expensive Business Plan (I am Pro, running on a older pricing which is significantly cheaper). Also I can not find any detailed documentation of your Weebly App online, so my following questions is:

What are the benefits / differences of the App vs. the Code Embeding Method? E.g. is it faster to set up a store? Does the App use some E-commerce features of Weebly (this is what I heard from Weebly...) etc.

Thanks!
Gabriel
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Frey View Post
Dear Arhutr

thank you so much for the input, I was exactly searching this and couldnt find anything some weeks ago! It must be a pretty new app

Unfortunately Weebly doesnt let me try the App as I would have to sign up for the much more expensive Business Plan (I am Pro, running on a older pricing which is significantly cheaper). Also I can not find any detailed documentation of your Weebly App online, so my following questions is:

What are the benefits / differences of the App vs. the Code Embeding Method? E.g. is it faster to set up a store? Does the App use some E-commerce features of Weebly (this is what I heard from Weebly...) etc.

Thanks!
Gabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the app is really new. That's why there is no documentation on it yet. We are going to add the detailed article in our Help Centre soon.

The app is available only on the Business plan provided by Weebly, unfortunately. We'd love to provide Weebly customers with ability to use our app on any plan, but that's Weebly's policy.

As for the benefits of using the app comparing to the code embeding, there are few of them:
- The app has an interface for store layout adjustments (e.g. how many products are displayed on the page, how many categories in row, etc.)
- It has a Chameleon theme integrated. This allows your Ecwid store to adapt the colors of your website automatically.
- App can use website's API. This ability is not used yet, however it may be used in future to integrate with the website more closely.

So, as you can see, there are no significant limitations if you prefer to add Ecwid to your website with the help of the code for now.
You will be able to adjust the storefront layout right in the code and change the colors with the help of custom CSS theme.

I hope that it helps. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Belostotsky For This Useful Post:
Gabriel Frey (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 AM

Default Thanks

Hi Arthur

This barrier is probably the way Weebly wants to save their own E-commerce Shop - and with this the legitimation of their business plan...

Thanks for all the good info - ECWID is now definitely on of the leaders in the race!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel Frey For This Useful Post:
Arthur Belostotsky (11-19-2015)

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
app, weebly