The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 AM

Free shipping over a certain value

I want to set up a free shipping threshold using carrier calculated method.
I use Canada post so I want to create a $79 threshold for free shipping,if they don't reach this subtotal the carrier calculated rates show.
Currently it is set up by regions for example Region1 ( $0-$78.99 = $12.95 $79 + = $0 )
I don't want to offer the special rate as in the example. I want the carrier calculated rate to show from $0-$78.99 and free shipping over this value.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sauer View Post
I want to set up a free shipping threshold using carrier calculated method.
I use Canada post so I want to create a $79 threshold for free shipping,if they don't reach this subtotal the carrier calculated rates show.
Currently it is set up by regions for example Region1 ( $0-$78.99 = $12.95 $79 + = $0 )
I don't want to offer the special rate as in the example. I want the carrier calculated rate to show from $0-$78.99 and free shipping over this value.
Hello,

As you know, Ecwid is integrated with several carrier companies, including Canada Post. When carrier-calculated shipping method is used, Ecwid does not calculate shipping rates. Instead it sends the order information, origin address and shipping address to the carrier servers. The carrier gets the rates for these order details and sends them back to Ecwid, the rates are shown to the buyer on the checkout.

So basically, in case the carrier does not offer free shipping for orders over certain value it is not possible to show such rates in Ecwid, as Ecwid does not manage the rates that are returned by the carrier.

What you can do is create Custom table that will emulate Canada Post rates for subtotal under $79 and offer free shipping for orders over this amount. Basically Custom table shipping option is very flexible and allows to create pretty much every shipping calculation schema, allowing to charge your customers the exact shipping rates you need. Please, refer to this article for details and an example of the setting you described: https://help.ecwid.com/customer/en/p...ordersover$100

Another option is using Canada Post online rates and in addition to this create a custom shipping method that will offer free shipping if the order subtotal is over $79. In this case you will still have Canada Post rates showing on the checkout but there also will be a Free shipping option which the customers are more likely to choose.

It is also possible to implement a custom script that will check the cart subtotal and if it is over $79, the script will hide Canada Post shipping methods on the checkout and show the Free shipping option, so that the customers choose this option right away. The creation of such script will require programming skills though. So if you need assistance with it I suggest that you should hire a developer.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Hi Liza
Thanks for taking the time to give this detailed explanation on my Free shipping question.
Using this method:
How do I setup free shipping on all orders over $79?

You should use Custom Table shipping type. Proceed to Ecwid control panel, System Settings -> Shipping to add a shipping method. Specify the following shipping rule:

Select how you calculate shipping? -> Custom table

Table based on -> Subtotal

Rate based on -> Range only

Set shipping rates -> 2 rows:

Subtotal range: 0 - 78.99 Per order: X Can X be carrier calculated or is this where I need some custom code to have this as carrier calculated?

Subtotal range: 0 - $78.99 $12.95 per order
$$79 - and up Per order: 0.00

This rule will apply $X shipping rate for the orders less than $78.99, and free shipping to the orders over $79.
The way I have "X" set up currently is to be as close as possible to one of my low rates so in the
"Chose shipping locations and method" they would see this for items over the free threshold: giving them the option to chose a faster option,if speed of delivery is important to them.And also show the customer what the rate would have been and that we are absorbing this cost in the free shipping.
Delivery method
Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$0.00
Canada Post Regular Parcel (7 days)C$20.91
Canada Post Xpresspost (2 days)C$49.62
Canada Post Priority (2 days)C$68.68

Or when under the "X" threshold they would see this:
Delivery method

Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$12.95
Canada Post Regular Parcel (7 days)C$17.56
Canada Post Xpresspost (2 days)C$37.61
Canada Post Priority (2 days)C$53.90

Because we have so many regions and weight of products,rather than predetermine "X" It would be much easier to have this as "Carrier calculated" and force the customer to buy over the $79 to achieve the Free shipping and not have such a wide discrepancy on my "X" calculations and most of the times show a small loss in these charges.
Thanks
Peter

Could someone please respond to by query above.

Last edited by Liza; 09-24-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sauer View Post
Hi Liza
Thanks for taking the time to give this detailed explanation on my Free shipping question.
Using this method:
How do I setup free shipping on all orders over $79?

You should use Custom Table shipping type. Proceed to Ecwid control panel, System Settings -> Shipping to add a shipping method. Specify the following shipping rule:

Select how you calculate shipping? -> Custom table

Table based on -> Subtotal

Rate based on -> Range only

Set shipping rates -> 2 rows:

Subtotal range: 0 - 78.99 Per order: X Can X be carrier calculated or is this where I need some custom code to have this as carrier calculated?

Subtotal range: 0 - $78.99 $12.95 per order
$$79 - and up Per order: 0.00

This rule will apply $X shipping rate for the orders less than $78.99, and free shipping to the orders over $79.
The way I have "X" set up currently is to be as close as possible to one of my low rates so in the
"Chose shipping locations and method" they would see this for items over the free threshold: giving them the option to chose a faster option,if speed of delivery is important to them.And also show the customer what the rate would have been and that we are absorbing this cost in the free shipping.
Delivery method
Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$0.00
Canada Post Regular Parcel (7 days)C$20.91
Canada Post Xpresspost (2 days)C$49.62
Canada Post Priority (2 days)C$68.68

Or when under the "X" threshold they would see this:
Delivery method

Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$12.95
Canada Post Regular Parcel (7 days)C$17.56
Canada Post Xpresspost (2 days)C$37.61
Canada Post Priority (2 days)C$53.90

Because we have so many regions and weight of products,rather than predetermine "X" It would be much easier to have this as "Carrier calculated" and force the customer to buy over the $79 to achieve the Free shipping and not have such a wide discrepancy on my "X" calculations and most of the times show a small loss in these charges.
Thanks
Peter

Could someone please respond to by query above.
Hello Peter,

Sorry for the delay.

Basically the scenario you are describing is achieved with the help of custom shipping methods - you configure the shipping rules the way you need using custom table shipping calculation type.

As I understand this is not the best option for you as you have products of different weight and ship to different regions - in this respect it would be more convenient for you to use carrier-calculated method.

As I said in my reply above, carrier-calculated shipping method is used, Ecwid does not calculate shipping rates. It sends the order information, origin address and shipping address to the carrier servers. The carrier gets the rates for these order details and sends them back to Ecwid, the rates are shown to the buyer on the checkout.

In case of carrier-calculated methods it is not Ecwid that determines when to change the rate or to enable free shipping as it is not Ecwid that calculates the rates. So you cannot setup a carrier-calculated method to give zero rate for orders over certain subtotal - carriers do not generally ship for free.

What I suggested in my post above is to use Canada Post for orders under $79 - a carrier-calculated method, and for orders over $79 create a Free shipping - a custom shipping method, in Ecwid.

Quote:
Let me explain how in this case the mentioned script will work. For orders under $79 your Canada Post rates will be shown on the checkout. The script will check the subtotal in the cart and once it is over $79, it will hide the carrier rates and show the Free shipping. The Canada Post will continue calculating rates in the background but they will be hidden from the customer. So the customer will only see Free shipping for orders over $79.

If you need assistance with creation of such script you can contact our friends from Qualiteam at sales@qtmsoft.com. They have huge experience and will be glad to help.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Let me explain how in this case the mentioned script will work. For orders under $79 your Canada Post rates will be shown on the checkout. The script will check the subtotal in the cart and once it is over $79, it will hide the carrier rates and show the Free shipping. The Canada Post will continue calculating rates in the background but they will be hidden from the customer. So the customer will only see Free shipping for orders over $79.
Hi Liza
so the only way I can incorporate the Canada Post carrier calculated with the "Free shipping" by using the "Custom method" is to create my own custom rates for under $79 and have the Canada post rates show as a price comparison, which is how I have it set up currently

Current set up for order under $79
Delivery method
Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$6.95 My custom set up currently
Canada Post Regular Parcel (2 days)C$10.52
Canada Post Xpresspost (1 day)C$13.14
Canada Post Priority (1 day)C$21.21
Customer pick up (In Vancouver BC - Only) - Please call to arrange pick up time 604-322-9370 C$0.00

Current set up for orders over $79
Delivery method
Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$0.00 My current free shipping set up which is fine
Canada Post Regular Parcel (2 days)C$11.03
Canada Post Xpresspost (1 day)C$13.74
Canada Post Priority (1 day)C$21.46
Customer pick up (In Vancouver BC - Only) - Please call to arrange pick up time 604-322-9370 C$0.00

My wish for orders under $79
Delivery method
Special shipping rate (Same shipping speed as Regular Parcel ) C$6.95 To have this line removed and to only show the carrier calculated showing
Canada Post Regular Parcel (2 days)C$10.52
Canada Post Xpresspost (1 day)C$13.14
Canada Post Priority (1 day)C$21.21

Thanks Peter
Old 10-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Why does this thread seem to drop through the cracks,as it takes weeks to get a response on this issue.
Please check my shipping set up and indicate if I need to make changes to get what I am looking for or if it is a custom code created.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
carrier calculated, free shipping