The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 AM

Shipping issues

I have 3 different shipping types and they all go by weight. A) 4-6 pounds USPS Flat Rate $12.35 Medium Box. B) 7-9 pounds USPS Flat Rate $16.85 Large Box. I didn't have much trouble with A & B. It is when I include C that things go wrong. For anything under 4 pounds, I want to use the carrier-calculated priority rate by postal zone. I have my ID with USPS and the rate quotes are working fine. I put in 0 to 3.9 pounds as the parameters but it just wants to calculate the rates even for weights above 4 pounds that are supposed to be at one of the flat rates.

Can someone help me out. How do I get the carrier calculated rate to cut off and the flat rates to turn on at 4 pounds and above? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Ecwid Team

If I understand you correctly, you want to create shipping method which will calculate shipping cost depending on order's weight:
1. For orders from 0 to 3.9 it should be defined using carried-calculated USPS method
2. For order from 4 to 6.9 it should be $12.35 (Only flat rate)
3. For order from 7 to 9 it should be $16.85 (only flat rate)

In order to do this, you should create two shipping methods:
1. Create flat rate shipping method in System Setting -> Shipping
- Click "New shipping" method and choose the zone, where it should be applied
- Choose "Custom table" in "how to calculate shipping" block and proceed to the next step
- Choose "Weight" in "Table based on" and "Range only" in "Rate based on" selectbox
- Set weight range from 4 to 6.99 and click "Add row" button (weight range from 7 and up will be added automatically)
- Set "Shipping rate" for both weight ranges
- Set delivery speed and shipping method name and save this shipping method

2. Create carrier-calculated USPS shipping method:
- Click "New Shipping Method" and choose the zone, where it should be applied
- Choose "Carrier-calculated" and proceed to the next step
- Choose "USPS" and proceed to the next step
- Choose USPS shipping method, which has 4 lbs weight limits. In this case, USPS method will be applied to the order with weight lower 4lbs. Flat Rate Envelopes or "Small Boxes have a maximum weight limit of 4 lbs.
- On the next step choose "Use your own shipping account" and enter you "USPS Web Tools User ID", if you have it. In other case, you'd better use "Use our default account (easy and fast way)" option.
- Set shipping method name and save changes.

Once you setup shipping methods in this way, shipping cost in your store will be calculated by USPS for orders below 4lbs and will be fixed for orders over 4 lbs.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM

Maya, Sorry to say the solution you offered does not work. There isn't a USPS method that has a weight limit of 4 pounds. This means I don't have the opportunity to select weight at all. For this reason the shipping rate simply increases with each pound added. It never switches to the flat rates.

As you can see from the screenshots the price just goes up in increments. There is an option to choose between either the by the carrier calculated weight or the flat weight but as you can see, who would choose the flat rate over the cheaper. My client wants to separate them for time and convenience... the flat rate boxes are the option 95% of the shipping that happens now.

What should I do? I can't believe that no one has ever wanted to do this
Thanks,
David
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krolick View Post
Maya, Sorry to say the solution you offered does not work. There isn't a USPS method that has a weight limit of 4 pounds. This means I don't have the opportunity to select weight at all. For this reason the shipping rate simply increases with each pound added. It never switches to the flat rates.

As you can see from the screenshots the price just goes up in increments. There is an option to choose between either the by the carrier calculated weight or the flat weight but as you can see, who would choose the flat rate over the cheaper. My client wants to separate them for time and convenience... the flat rate boxes are the option 95% of the shipping that happens now.

What should I do? I can't believe that no one has ever wanted to do this
Thanks,
David
I'm sorry for any inconvenience. You are totally right - it is not possible to limit by weight USPS shipping method. The thing is that 4 lbs limitation is available for international packages only and doesn't apply to the domestic shipping methods.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to set carrier-calculated USPS shipping method for the order with particular weight. The only solution is to create one more "custom table" shipping method for the orders with up to 4 lbs weight and to set the cost for it. In this case you will need to enter all shipping rates manually.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
carrier calculated, flat rate shipping, shipping