The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Webpartner

Advice for the best way to set this up (Category, Sub Category, then Sub Sub Category?!)

Hi there,

I'm new to Ecwid and have a client who sells antiques (not online, so I have disabled the payment cart etc.).

I just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way, if you don't mind chiming in.

The client wants a main horizontal nav bar for five main types of product (e.g: Art, Furniture, Garden, etc.). When a visitor clicks on "Art", they will then be offered 5 categories of art o a vertical menu (Artists, Prints, Sculpture, etc.) and then when they click on "Artists", they will get a sub-category per Artist to click on, which takes them to the art of the artist.

I am thinking that I will create the main nav bar with my own software (e.g: not related to Ecwid - I use WebPlus) but have the nav bar item (e.g: Art) link to the Ecwid art category page where the visitor can then drill down to sub categories.

Is this doable and the best way to go about this, or do you have any other suggestions?

I couldn't figure out how to provide 3 layers of categories in Ecwid (e.g: Main Category, Sub Category, then Sub-Sub Category.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 AM

I think that's possible.

You can have the Product Browser load to a default category or in this case a sub category: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853258/...duct%20browser

So you could have the main nav load a page with a Product Browser that defaults to the selected category. Clicking Art would go to art.html which holds a Product Browser loading the Art category that has "Artists, Prints, Sculpture, etc.".

The only problem there is that you won't have vertical navigation for those sub categories.

If you need to have the vertical nav I think you could have those sub categories ("Artists, Prints, Sculpture, etc.") in art.html as a custom nav bar with the Product Browser to the right with it defaulting to the Artists category instead of Art. Then manually link the vertical nav bar to their respective categories using the hash url: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/23947812/...0or%20category The links would looke like href="#!/~/category/id=1002"

Last edited by smoothsailingco.com; 01-16-2014 at 06:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothsailingco.com For This Useful Post:
Lulu White (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Webpartner

Thanks Smooth Sailing. I reached the same conclusion after spending some time with it.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.