The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Question

I've noticed a strange thing happening in Google Analytics since I've added my cart to my site.

First, about my site.

It's a Wordpress website running a photography blog and I'm using the store to sell photographs. The homepage consists of various blog articles and information and there's a navigation bar with a link to the store.

The problem

When someone loads my homepage (/) about 10-15 seconds later (I'm testing this with GA Real-Time tracking) I see a second page load. If I change the "default category" of my Ecwid cart to one of the categories in my store then that second page load appears as this category page. In reality though, the viewer of my site is still sitting on the homepage.

This only appears to happen when someone loads my home page as viewing other pages on my site does not reproduce the same problem.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions for how I can fix this?

More information...

My tagline - "look relax remember" which is part of the page title of my home page is loaded for the initial pageview then after 10 seconds or so it changes to "buy photos" the title of the page which contains the store. However, the reader sees no change on my site, it's just a tracking problem.

Why would the store be loading a virtual page on the homepage if the store isn't present on the homepage?

Last edited by Maya; 11-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Ecwid Team

Thank you for detailed explanation of your issue.

I have checked your source page and have found following code there:
Code:
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.phogropathy.com/'></script>
This code tries to load the script, which as located by "http://www.phogropathy.com/" address. As a result, you can see two request to the home page of your site. If you check other pages, you will see that request to the home page "http://www.phogropathy.com/" also exists there.

In order to fix this problem, I suggest you to remove this code from the source of your page.

If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've still been seeing these phantom page loads after someone loads my homepage - it doesn't seem to happen when people view other pages or blog posts - just when they load my home page.

So I did a bit more digging into it on GA and it appeared that 78% of the traffic to /category/#/ was by people using Google Chrome. So I tested this out using Google Analytics Real-Time data. IE and Firefox both only load the homepage where as when someone views my homepage using Chrome they load this phantom page related to the store's category seconds later.

I know this is just some more puzzling data for you - not really sure why this is happening or how to go about fixing it. I'd be curious if others have experienced this same phenomenon as well.

On the plus side it's making my traffic stats look amazing with record low bounce rates, higher pages/visit, and more pageviews... the problem is I know it's not legit .
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davenport View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've still been seeing these phantom page loads after someone loads my homepage - it doesn't seem to happen when people view other pages or blog posts - just when they load my home page.

So I did a bit more digging into it on GA and it appeared that 78% of the traffic to /category/#/ was by people using Google Chrome. So I tested this out using Google Analytics Real-Time data. IE and Firefox both only load the homepage where as when someone views my homepage using Chrome they load this phantom page related to the store's category seconds later.

I know this is just some more puzzling data for you - not really sure why this is happening or how to go about fixing it. I'd be curious if others have experienced this same phenomenon as well.

On the plus side it's making my traffic stats look amazing with record low bounce rates, higher pages/visit, and more pageviews... the problem is I know it's not legit .
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Does the issue persist? I've just inspected your site home page and as far as I can see, there is no sign of Ecwid plugin there. So, it's quite strange the second phantom page refers to Ecwid store. Also, did you try debug your pages with Google Analytics Debugger in order to see what data is sent to GA from your site?

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makfruit View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Does the issue persist? I've just inspected your site home page and as far as I can see, there is no sign of Ecwid plugin there. So, it's quite strange the second phantom page refers to Ecwid store. Also, did you try debug your pages with Google Analytics Debugger in order to see what data is sent to GA from your site?
I've enabled a second tracking code for the store so I could keep my eye on what was happening without effecting my overall traffic numbers.

Over the last week it has tracked 665 unique visitors - 611 of them were on Google Chrome - 92% of the total traffic!

My main tracking code in the same period tracked 2872 unique visitors - 755 of which were Google Chrome - 33% of the total traffic.

The alternate code is just being used in Ecwid's "google analytics id box" while my main code is placed on every page of my site. Therefore the alternate code should only fire when someone views my store (at least that's how I would think this should work). As you can see from the numbers above - either the only people interested in my store are using Chrome or there's something else happening here - my vote is something else.

I looked at the GA debugger, but to be honest, didn't see anything odd happening though I'm not an expert.

Thanks again for looking into this for me, it's a strange one, and I honestly don't even know where to begin to solve it.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davenport View Post
I've enabled a second tracking code for the store so I could keep my eye on what was happening without effecting my overall traffic numbers.
Maybe, that is the reason. Google generally do not recommend using several IDs on a single page:
Quote:
Multiple Analytics Accounts on a Given Page

Some users want to track the same page or set of pages in multiple Analytics Accounts. Analytics is designed to work effectively with a single account-to-web-property relationship. If you have multiple accounts tracking the same web property (e.g. page or sets of pages), both accounts will read from and set the same set of cookies. This set up is generally not recommended.
More details:
https://developers.google.com/analyt...onceptsCookies
http://productforums.google.com/foru...cs/vQpi4aWI4Qk

Ecwid allows using the same ID as your site uses, so it would be better to do so. As to separating of statistics, it can be done by means of custom filters in GA.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Yeah, well there might be some issues raised by having the second tracking code for Ecwid's pages, but the issue was happening before I created this switch so it's unrelated to that.

I'll see if I can get some more information for you when I have time to look a bit deeper. I might try and create a clean install of wordpress and ecwid on a sandbox site to see if I can find out how to replicate the issue.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.