The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Talking

adding customers

Good day, I am currently using the free version of ECWid and I deleted the demo customers out of my profile but I don't seem to have a way to add customers? Am I missing something?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental.imports View Post
Good day, I am currently using the free version of ECWid and I deleted the demo customers out of my profile but I don't seem to have a way to add customers? Am I missing something?
As soon as a customer creates an account in your store, he/she will appear on the "Customers" page.

For example try to place a test order and create an account during your test purchase.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 AM

A related question. If a customer does not create an account but does place an order, is their any way to still add them under the customer list?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 AM

Default Or a bulk customer add?

Thank you for the reply, but yes, I had figured out about the auto add customers, but there wasn't a button to just add customers or bulk load only export? I could also see a use for a Vendor/Manufacturer for drop shipping section as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsleeter View Post
A related question. If a customer does not create an account but does place an order, is their any way to still add them under the customer list?
If a customer doesn't create an account and uses so called "Guest Checkout" option, we should respect his/her choice and not add him to the Customers list, shouldn't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental.imports View Post
Thank you for the reply, but yes, I had figured out about the auto add customers, but there wasn't a button to just add customers or bulk load only export? I could also see a use for a Vendor/Manufacturer for drop shipping section as well.
1. Ecwid store owner cannot add customers manually at the moment. How do you want to use this feature?

2. Please vote for this idea if you want the "Manufacturers" feature: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...ort-?ref=title

Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Well it's not really a "guest" in that they are not anonymous in any way. In my experience, most people do not "register" for the store, they just proceed to checkout. Having to register means another login and password to remember, something most people avoid. I do not believe people choose the guest option to preserve some kind on anonymity. I would really like to see a button that would allow store owners to save customers to the customer list even if they do not register. To not be able to add them manually requires me to keep a totally separate customer list in Excel... ughhhh
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Well it's not really a "guest" in that they are not anonymous in any way. In my experience, most people do not "register" for the store, they just proceed to checkout. Having to register means another login and password to remember, something most people avoid. I do not believe people choose the guest option to preserve some kind on anonymity. I would really like to see a button that would allow store owners to save customers to the customer list even if they do not register. To not be able to add them manually requires me to keep a totally separate customer list in Excel... ughhhh

Of course, if a customer purchases something from your store, he/she cannot be anonymous. This is just because you need to charge him and ship products.

However, some people want to purchase a product without creating a new account at your store.
- to avoid creating and remembering a new password/login pair (as you said correctly)
- to avoid getting to a new newsletter list, etc
- just to make the checkout process faster

So, look, the "Customer" page shows all accounts your customer creates at your store. If a customer uses the "Guest Checkout" option, he doesn't create an account. So, Ecwid doesn't show him on the "Customers" page.
If you want to get information on such customers, just export all of your orders to a CSV file.

So, if you think that we should improve the current behavior, could you describe why you want to add your customers manually. How do you want this feature to work?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Eugene,

Agree about the three reasons a user would use the guest checkout (all of my customers are using it). With regard to getting a newsletter, the user could simply be given an option to "not receive information from..." or something similar. For my use I would like to see all customers that have ever placed an order. But as you said, I can do this manually outside ECWID (which is how I currently am setting things up). However, it would be nice to have this information organized within the application and not have to leave.

I want to keep track of all customers so I can send them free material, newsletters and other promotional items. I would envision a simple button that would allow the customer who placed the order to be added to a customer list. Or, ALL customers that place an order are by default added to the customer list. You could add a note next to those that used guest checkout if you wanted to track that for some reason.

Thanks for the come back. The customer service you are providing is wonderful. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Eugene,

Agree about the three reasons a user would use the guest checkout (all of my customers are using it). With regard to getting a newsletter, the user could simply be given an option to "not receive information from..." or something similar. For my use I would like to see all customers that have ever placed an order. But as you said, I can do this manually outside ECWID (which is how I currently am setting things up). However, it would be nice to have this information organized within the application and not have to leave.

I want to keep track of all customers so I can send them free material, newsletters and other promotional items. I would envision a simple button that would allow the customer who placed the order to be added to a customer list. Or, ALL customers that place an order are by default added to the customer list. You could add a note next to those that used guest checkout if you wanted to track that for some reason.

Thanks for the come back. The customer service you are providing is wonderful. Keep up the great work!
What do you think about this behavior:

1. Any customer who has placed an order in your store will be added to your "Customers" page.
2. Customers who haven't created their accounts will be marked by a special sign and you will not be able to edit them.

Do you agree? If yes, could you add this idea at ideas.ecwid.com?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Another possible reason for adding customers manually

Hi, I am new to ecwid and I love the system. the reason I would like to see a way to manually add customers is this:

I have many registered customers from my business already and now that I am using Ecwid I would like to be able to add my existing customers to my account so I don't have to ask all of them to re-register now that I will be using Ecwid exclusively.

Is there a way to at least do this already?

Thanks.

Chuk

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
adding customers