The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Question

Beginner; Do I need Merchant account? Gateway account?

I am a beginner and want to set up a small store. I don't understand the bank account side of this. What further steps or accounts do I need to finish the transactions? I would like to use this instead of a Go Daddy cart so can you help me with basic understanding?
Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Not much more to it. You can use Paypal instead of a merchant account. You would also need a website to add Ecwid to.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Yes Pay Pal would be possible for me in this store. If I use it for another site and they do not want PayPal but Credit Card only, will this Ecwid have a way to enter Merchant account information?
My other question has to do with SSL. I was going to put this site on a dedicated host with SSL. I read in FAQ that SSL is part of Ecwid. Do you reccommend still using SSL on the Joomla store page?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM

If 'they' have a merchant account and are signed up with one of the supported payment gateways then yes.

Best not to use SSL unless you have to. Slows things down and complicates them.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Ok It is starting to make more sense. Are the supported gateways you mention PROVIDED as part of Ecwid or do I need to purchase a gateway package?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM

These are provided http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853303/Payment%20options
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I did install and start setting it up. I saw the option for the gateways and skipped for now. Am I correct in the following assumption? My end customer has to set up a merchant account AND get the Authorize.net account I assume so that they get the proper numbers and keys which I will enter into Ecwid.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Yes, generally that is right. I have no knowledge of that particular gateway. Sometimes it is possible to combine the two like Paypal do.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Hi yes, it is possible to combine Paypal and another payment processor.
I'm starting my application as I am also setting up my online business. I applied with Worldpay, Paymentwall, Kayswallet and Paymill.
Kayswallet and Paymill has good rates and professional services so far in my application.
I find that new companies gives better services and business advice.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM

You can set up both Paypal and other payment methods in your Ecwid Control Panel (System Settings -> Payment). For example the store below has both PayPal and Credit Card:

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.