The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 AM

USPS First Class Shipping time misleading customers... how to edit?

We ship several methods USPS and it automatically says the same thing for both first class and priority on delivery time: 1-3 days.
Of course people choose first class because it's cheaper, and seems to go just as quick, but this is not the case! USPS takes much longer with First Class, often several days, sometimes up to 10!

I would like to offer first class, but with a more realistic 2-10 days delivery time showing, but I cannot find any place to edit this or add it to the info the customer sees.

I tried adding a new shipping method and naming it with that info, but that does not show up when ordering... still says 1-3 days.

What to do?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna von Hoesslin View Post
We ship several methods USPS and it automatically says the same thing for both first class and priority on delivery time: 1-3 days.
Of course people choose first class because it's cheaper, and seems to go just as quick, but this is not the case! USPS takes much longer with First Class, often several days, sometimes up to 10!

I would like to offer first class, but with a more realistic 2-10 days delivery time showing, but I cannot find any place to edit this or add it to the info the customer sees.

I tried adding a new shipping method and naming it with that info, but that does not show up when ordering... still says 1-3 days.

What to do?
Hi!

In case of using carrier calculated shipping methods (like USPS), rates are calculated on the carrier’s site: Ecwid sends order details (address, subtotal, weight, etc.) to USPS, which returns corresponding rates and services. The titles of the services include delivery time that you’re referring to, e.g., 2-3 days. These are appended by USPS as well. And Ecwid just displays it in the storefront.
So, unfortunately, you cannot change this delivery speed.
But you can hide it via CSS. Please, refer to this article:
How to remove the delivery time from the names of shipping methods
With this change, USPS services will be shown without delivery time at all.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the answer, Alina, but this brief post you referred to does not indicate where and how that code needs to be applied... not helpful for the average user of ecwid who has no programming experience.

Can you please elaborate?

Also... is there any suggestion for how I can rename shipping methods so that customer sees amount of time it can take? Or if not possible, how do you suggest I convey that information on my website so it gets seen easily?

Thank you!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the answer, Alina, but this brief post you referred to does not indicate where and how that code needs to be applied... not helpful for the average user of ecwid who has no programming experience.

Also... is there any suggestion for how I can rename shipping methods so that customer sees amount of time it can take? Or if not possible, how do you suggest I convey that information on my website so it gets seen easily?

Thank you!
Hi!

Quote:
this brief post you referred to does not indicate where and how that code needs to be applied... not helpful for the average user of ecwid who has no programming experience.

Sure! You should add the code provided in this article to the end of your custom CSS theme (in your Ecwid Control Panel-> System Settings-> Design).
Thank you for your feedback, we’ll correct the article.
Instructions on how to work with CSS in Ecwid: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853257/CSS%20Faq

Quote:
is there any suggestion for how I can rename shipping methods so that customer sees amount of time it can take? Or if not possible, how do you suggest I convey that information on my website so it gets seen easily?
As I told in my previous post, it is not possible to rename carrier calculated shipping methods, as these names are totally controlled and provided by the carrier.

I can suggest you the following ways how to inform customers about delivery speed:

1) Create a separate page on your site named, e.g. “shipping terms”.
This page should contain all the information about delivery, including time of delivery for different shipping methods. You could put a link to the page somewhere on your store pages, for ex., in product descriptions.

2) Setup your own shipping rates and use them instead of the online USPS services:
i.e. try to emulate the USPS’ rates by creating your own shipping rules based on order weight and/or subtotal. In this case you’ll be able to submit your own delivery speed (you’ll see this option while creating new shipping method in your Ecwid control panel-> System Settings-> Shipping). More about custom tables: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853310/...ightorsubtotal

Hope this will help.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM

I've tried to add this feature to my css but the shipping dates still appear. Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 AM

Can you please let me know exactly where in the CSS page the code needs to be added?
Your answers thus far are all very vague for me... and I do not want to mess this up.

Thank you!

by the way, other options you suggest are not realistic as people generally will not read more than the very minimum.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSI Label CO View Post
I've tried to add this feature to my css but the shipping dates still appear. Do you have any other suggestions?
Hi!

I’ve tried to place an order in your store and delivery time was not shown.(See screenshot http://d.pr/i/SMt4)

Please, check again and send me screenshots if you still see any dates.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina Kirpicheva View Post
Hi!

I’ve tried to place an order in your store and delivery time was not shown.(See screenshot http://d.pr/i/SMt4)

Please, check again and send me screenshots if you still see any dates.
Those dates never show up when shipping international. They typically show up when shipping within the US. Also when a sale is made the invoice typically displays 1-2 days for shipping.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Can you please let me know exactly where in the CSS page the code needs to be added?
Your answers thus far are all very vague for me... and I do not want to mess this up.

Thank you!

by the way, other options you suggest are not realistic as people generally will not read more than the very minimum.
You should add the code provided in this article to the end of your custom CSS theme (in your Ecwid Control Panel-> System Settings-> Design).

Quote:
by the way, other options you suggest are not realistic as people generally will not read more than the very minimum
As I wrote in my previous post, method names are determined by carriers, so you cannot change them, thus I can suggest you only the ways to work it around. If it is necessary to show delivery times in the names of your shipping methods, and you don’t like the delivery days shown in the USPS service names, you could create your own shipping methods as described in solution #2.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Ok thank you... now that this part is edited... USPS unfortunately started putting how many days in the name of the "Type" of service... so I still need to add somewhere on this page close to the shipping methods list of choices some helpful info for customers like...
"Please note we ship next day"

Perhaps there is a way to edit "Choose delivery method" so one can add some text to that line?

That would help a LOT. Thank you!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
first class, misleading, shipping, time, usps