The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Facebook store multi-lingual or not?

Hi,

I've heard a lot of good things about the multi-lingual feature of ecwid. I tried to set up a Facebook store, but I just get English in there. Should the FB store switch languages according to the users settings, or are they set in stone (in English?).

If so, I will not be able to use ecwid. It should be able to run in two, possibly three, languages at the same time. The currency is the same (euro) so no problem there, but the languages are a deal-breaker.

I might very well have missed something, since I'm new to ecwid. I am a programmer, though, so if there are solutions that requires scripting that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Best Regards,
Patrick
Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pati610 View Post
Hi,

I've heard a lot of good things about the multi-lingual feature of ecwid. I tried to set up a Facebook store, but I just get English in there. Should the FB store switch languages according to the users settings, or are they set in stone (in English?).

If so, I will not be able to use ecwid. It should be able to run in two, possibly three, languages at the same time. The currency is the same (euro) so no problem there, but the languages are a deal-breaker.

I might very well have missed something, since I'm new to ecwid. I am a programmer, though, so if there are solutions that requires scripting that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Best Regards,
Patrick
Hi,

The storefront language is taken from the browser's main language. The same refers to Ecwid stores added to Facebook. It means that if you open the store in the browser with the English set as the primary language, you will see the store in English. If you open it in the browser with let's say Spanish as the main language, you will see the store in Spanish.

You can keep as many languages enabled in your store as needed. The storefront is translated into about 45 languages. You can enable/disable them in control panel > Settings > General > Languages.

Learn more about the storefront translations in Ecwid in this article: https://support.ecwid.com/hc/en-us/articles/207102059

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:00 AM

Hi Daria,

yes, I do know that Ecwid automatically selects the language according to the client's browser settings. That generally works, but it surprises me that such a natural thing as a language selector on the storefront page hasn't been implemented.

I've browsed the archives, and noted that I'm far from the only one wondering about this. I also note that you've mentioned that you work towards a truly multi-lingual solution since about 2010. That's a long time for nothing happening.

I've played around with javascript and your products widget, and it's far from easy. Including the widget on the page brings a lot of Ecwid scripts into play, and so far they seem to effectively dodge most attempts at selecting languages manually on the fly. A great example of this is your own language selector on the demo store page. It doesn't work (at least as far as I can tell) - no matter what language you select, on reload you're thrown back to browser detection (!)

Well, is selecting languages needed? Where I live, there are a lot of bi-lingual families sharing the same computers. That means that they can shop in their first or second language, but they can never choose if they don't tweak the browser settings. That's an unprofessional approach, as far as I'm concerned.

The last resort is utilizing iframes, but jeez, it shouldn't really be necessary. Why not just allow several instances of the widget to be loaded on the same page, then hide/show the relevant one by CSS or JS?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pati610 View Post
Hi Daria,

yes, I do know that Ecwid automatically selects the language according to the client's browser settings. That generally works, but it surprises me that such a natural thing as a language selector on the storefront page hasn't been implemented.

I've browsed the archives, and noted that I'm far from the only one wondering about this. I also note that you've mentioned that you work towards a truly multi-lingual solution since about 2010. That's a long time for nothing happening.

I've played around with javascript and your products widget, and it's far from easy. Including the widget on the page brings a lot of Ecwid scripts into play, and so far they seem to effectively dodge most attempts at selecting languages manually on the fly. A great example of this is your own language selector on the demo store page. It doesn't work (at least as far as I can tell) - no matter what language you select, on reload you're thrown back to browser detection (!)

Well, is selecting languages needed? Where I live, there are a lot of bi-lingual families sharing the same computers. That means that they can shop in their first or second language, but they can never choose if they don't tweak the browser settings. That's an unprofessional approach, as far as I'm concerned.

The last resort is utilizing iframes, but jeez, it shouldn't really be necessary. Why not just allow several instances of the widget to be loaded on the same page, then hide/show the relevant one by CSS or JS?
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for reporting about the language switcher in the demo store! I've passed that to our developers to fix.

As for the language switcher on storefronts, at the moment it can be implemented as a custom solution. You can find a script to force the language selection in the store in this article: https://support.ecwid.com/hc/en-us/a...tioninmystore? Use this script and appropriate parameters to let customers select the language in your storefront with a switcher.

By the way, since you are a developer, you are welcome to visit our website for developers here: https://developers.ecwid.com Thanks!

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
facebook, languages