The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 PM

Canada Post and U.S. Dollar

In the Canada Post set-up section it says that I have to change my currency to CAD dollars in order to use the Canada Post shipping method.

I don't understand why currency should matter since I walk the item to the post office to ship and pay in Canadian dollars. The price is the price and currency shouldn't matter IMHO.

When the customer pays for an item, they may be paying me for shipping but not Canada Post. I have adjusted my prices to account for the difference.

This seems to be an error that should be corrected since US currency is standard across many if not most on-line platforms.

FedEx has an issue as well since I can not choose 'coverage' as an option. I will not ship anything over $100 without insurance and tracking.

Hope this makes sense,

Last edited by Andrea Kollo; 04-15-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot a point
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Kollo View Post
In the Canada Post set-up section it says that I have to change my currency to CAD dollars in order to use the Canada Post shipping method.

I don't understand why currency should matter since I walk the item to the post office to ship and pay in Canadian dollars. The price is the price and currency shouldn't matter IMHO.

When the customer pays for an item, they may be paying me for shipping but not Canada Post. I have adjusted my prices to account for the difference.

This seems to be an error that should be corrected since US currency is standard across many if not most on-line platforms.

FedEx has an issue as well since I can not choose 'coverage' as an option. I will not ship anything over $100 without insurance and tracking.

Hope this makes sense,
Hello Andrea,

Sorry for keeping you waiting.

Canada Post is a real time shipping method, meaning Ecwid connects to Canada Post servers, transmits the shipping details and receives the shipping rates which are then shown to customers. This linking is implemented via an integration between Ecwid and Canada Post. The integration is done according to Canada Post’s technical documentation or API. So Canada Post supports only CAD currency, and their API doesn’t have any other currency format. That’s why when you’re setting up Canada Post in Ecwid, you’re required to have CAD as your store currency.

If you want to sell in USD, I can suggest setting up your own shipping rates based on weight and/or subtotal. This will also allow you to control the rates as you wish. Setup instructions: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...ng#Customtable

Regarding FedEx, our current integration with it doesn’t support “coverage”, which I believe would be an insurance. I can suggest two ways to work this around:
1. To add a fixed markup (that would cover the insurance) to the Fedex rates using shipping markup feature, please refer to this part of the article: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...hippingmethods
2. Or, set up your own shipping rates, as I described above.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 AM

It's 2016 and this issues is not fixed.

Other platforms integrate with Canada Posts real-time, carrier calculated rates... when the store is in USD.
Why won't ecwid?

This problem, of not being able to use Canada Post on our site while it is USD (after being assured we could, after paying a WIX pro to build our site for us...) ... has caused a nightmare for us. We've lost a month of sales (6 sales in a month vs. 200 in a previous month when using a different platform/channel before we switched to WIX), we've gone in circles with multiple and often conflicting answers from WIX, ECWID, and Canada post, and spent entire days on the phone trying to get answers. Written requests for assistance repeat the same suggestion, of a currency converter workaround, which ISN'T a work around because WIX won't support the code and we do not WANT to display various currencies. If may sons nifty to show a different currency for what ever country the buyer is viewing from, but that comes with with more hassles than it's worth: 1. Buyer and Seller will face charges, often hefty, for converting to USD when amount arrives to sellers account 2. Don't we ALL hate it when we're travelling and trying to do business online on sites who think they need to speak to us in the language and currencies of the countries we are visiting? I'm OK with my Russian clients understanding the site is in USD and doing the conversions themselves. I'm not ok with my mostly American clients being in Russian when they try to place an order for us and see the cost in Rubbles... no no no no thanks to a glitchy unsupported hassle of a 'workaround' Several other platforms have worked this out with Canada Post. WHY NOT Ecwid!? PLEASE UPDATE THIS FEATURE! PLEASE!!! We're banging our heads against the wall over money and time lost... 2 months of work, a month of sales, we've blown our budget on a WIX pro on a site that especially is hamstringing us and that we'll have to just throw away . We've started moving over to Shopify... who have a Canada Post app. We'd stay with WIX and Ecwid... if we could offer Canada post as a shipper... the savings to our customers on shipping are often 50%
Old 03-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Kill miniatures View Post
It's 2016 and this issues is not fixed.

Other platforms integrate with Canada Posts real-time, carrier calculated rates... when the store is in USD.
Why won't ecwid?

This problem, of not being able to use Canada Post on our site while it is USD (after being assured we could, after paying a WIX pro to build our site for us...) ... has caused a nightmare for us. We've lost a month of sales (6 sales in a month vs. 200 in a previous month when using a different platform/channel before we switched to WIX), we've gone in circles with multiple and often conflicting answers from WIX, ECWID, and Canada post, and spent entire days on the phone trying to get answers. Written requests for assistance repeat the same suggestion, of a currency converter workaround, which ISN'T a work around because WIX won't support the code and we do not WANT to display various currencies. If may sons nifty to show a different currency for what ever country the buyer is viewing from, but that comes with with more hassles than it's worth: 1. Buyer and Seller will face charges, often hefty, for converting to USD when amount arrives to sellers account 2. Don't we ALL hate it when we're travelling and trying to do business online on sites who think they need to speak to us in the language and currencies of the countries we are visiting? I'm OK with my Russian clients understanding the site is in USD and doing the conversions themselves. I'm not ok with my mostly American clients being in Russian when they try to place an order for us and see the cost in Rubbles... no no no no thanks to a glitchy unsupported hassle of a 'workaround' Several other platforms have worked this out with Canada Post. WHY NOT Ecwid!? PLEASE UPDATE THIS FEATURE! PLEASE!!! We're banging our heads against the wall over money and time lost... 2 months of work, a month of sales, we've blown our budget on a WIX pro on a site that especially is hamstringing us and that we'll have to just throw away . We've started moving over to Shopify... who have a Canada Post app. We'd stay with WIX and Ecwid... if we could offer Canada post as a shipper... the savings to our customers on shipping are often 50%
Hello,

Ecwid Customer Care team here.

I'm extremely sorry that this feature of using Canada Post even if the store has any other currency but CAD in the settings is not yet implemented.

We really appreciate your feedback on that matter, of course - either negative or positive, it helps us make Ecwid better. I'll gladly pass it to the powers that be.

Since the suggested workaround with Currency Converter would not work for you, there's another way I can suggest. You can create a Custom Table with shipping rates for the customers from Canada - the rates will be in USD, as it's set up in your store, but at least the customers will be able to get the rates for their country.

You can set up these custom rates in any way, so it's possible to match them with the rates which Canada Post suggests. Moreover you can even name that method "Canada Post" for your customers to know that you are shipping your goods through that carrier company.

Could you please clarify if you tried that already and why it did not work for you if you did? I'll be glad to help you with that in any possible way if you might find it a possible solution.

For now here's the necessary information on the "Custom Table" shipping methods for you: Rates based on weight or subtotal

Looking forward to your reply.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.