The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 AM

Major problems with the Upload Files option. Your help is needed.

Hello,

I am reporting that there are major problems with the Upload Files option when used with various web browsers. Recently my customer informed me that she was unable to upload her 120 jpeg photos using the Upload Files option while on my company’s website. During the procedure of uploading, she noticed the process had stalled. The horizontal bar across the screen continued to move, but the window did not refresh. She made another attempt to upload the following day, but experienced the same negative results. The total file size for her 120 images was around 95mb and each individual file varied from 500k to 1mb. She also mentioned she was using Internet Explorer during her attempts to upload her images.

After learning about my customer's uploading problem, I decided to test by uploading 120 files on two computer platforms. I used three web browsers on a Mac with OS 10.6.8 and I used four web browsers on a PC with OS Windows 7. All seven browsers were updated to the current versions, and were completely reset, including their cache and history.

The following are my test results when uploading 120 files:
Macintosh
a] Chrome ver. 23 - Result: Successful
b] Firefox ver. 17.01 - Result: Successful
c] Safari ver. 5.1.7 - Result: Successful

PC
a] Chrome ver. 23 - Result: Successful
b] Firefox ver. 17.01 - Result: Successful
c] Safari ver. 5.1.7 - Result: Negative. Mid-way into uploading the 120 files the browser became sluggish and eventually all 120 files that were uploaded disappeared when I checked out.
d] Internet Explorer ver. 9.08 - Result: Negative. The process of uploading files stalled mid-way during the tests. I performed additional tests with the same negative results.

From my test results it appears the Upload Files option can not be used when uploading many (120) files within Internet Explorer. In all of my attempts, the uploading process stalled mid-way. Also, using the Upload Files option with Safari (PC) produced negative results as well. The files would upload, but once you were about to check out, the files vanished.

I believe the problems associated with the Upload Files option and Internet Explorer/Safari (PC) are critical and need to be resolved. According to my Google Analytical statistics, 40% of my website visitors use Internet Explorer. I cannot afford to lose these potential customers because they are unable to upload their files due to issues with the Upload File option and Internet Explorer and Safari (PC).

Oddly enough, the following web browsers: Firefox (Mac+PC), Chrome (Mac+PC), and Safari (Mac) work flawlessly when using the Upload File option.

QUESTION: Are there any solutions you can suggest to me to make the Upload Files option work with Internet Explorer and Safari (PC)? I await for your response.

Best regards,

Neil
Company website: http://www.classicmemories.com
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Ecwid Team

Thank you for very detailed instruction.

If I understand you properly, your client can't upload files in "Files" section on the product modify page in Internet Explorer. Right?

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Hello Maya,

Thank you for your quick reply. The following order product page is where my customer was unable to upload her 120 files while using Internet Explorer.

http://www.classicmemories.com/order...952&id=5021251

The UPLOAD FILES button can be found at the bottom right of the website.

Is it possible you and your team can test by uploading at least 120 jpeg files on my web page using Internet Explorer (PC) and Safari (PC) to confirm uploading does work on your end?

I await for your response.

Thank you!

Neil
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Ecwid Team

Thank you for the clarification.

I have reported our engineers about this. They will look into it as soon as possible.

------------------
Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hello Maya,

Thank you for your quick reply. The following order product page is where my customer was unable to upload her 120 files while using Internet Explorer.

http://www.classicmemories.com/order...952&id=5021251

The UPLOAD FILES button can be found at the bottom right of the website.

Is it possible you and your team can test by uploading at least 120 jpeg files on my web page using Internet Explorer (PC) and Safari (PC) to confirm uploading does work on your end?

I await for your response.

Thank you!

Neil
As a temporary workaround, I suggest to ask your clients to send you an archive with required files by email. I suppose that it is not very convenient to upload 120 files to the ordered product one by one.

In order to find out for which order what files archive has been sent, you can ask your customers to enter the email address, from which photo archive will be send, in the input box for each product. Or you can ask to include the invoice number into the email with photos archive.

Hopefully, it will solve your problem. If you need any help with this, please, let me know.

------------------
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Hello Maya,

I have read your suggestion to my problem and I agree it would be an inconvenience to expect my customers to archive their files and submit them individually to me by email.

In testing your Upload Files option I discovered two other problems with it. First, your Upload Files option limits you to uploading a maximum of 10 files per time. You can not upload a bulk load of files per upload. This is a problem because submitting 120 files that equal a total files size of 500mb takes 45 minutes to upload using the Upload Files option. Online web services including www.wetransfer.com and www.transferbigfiles.com allow you to select 100's of files and then you press submit. At this point, as the files are uploading, you can walk away from your computer. With your current Upload Files solution you are forced to stay put, wait, and then select 10 more files and wait.

The second issue with using the Upload Files option is how it submits the files. Currently, the option uploads the 10 files to Ecwid's server per submission. A better solution would be for the option to let you choose the files first, either 10 or 50 or 100's of files, and only then let you submit all the files at once. This method would free an individual away from the computer if they wanted to. Also, perhaps this is the reason why Internet Explorer/Safari (PC) are experiencing issues when submitting files with your Upload Files option.

Because of the three problems I have discussed when using your Upload Files option, I've decided to offer an alternative solution to my customers for uploading. My new solution allows them to upload a bulk amount files to me, without issues. And the solution works with all browsers including Internet Explorer and Safari on both platforms.

I am still curious to know the following:
A) Do you and your engineers know why Internet Explorer and Safari (PC) are having issues with the Upload Files option? If so, what is the reason?
B) Are there plans to fix the problem using the Upload Files option with the two browsers?
C) Will you be informing your Ecwid customers/community about the issues between the Upload Files option and Internet Explorer + Safari (PC)? If not, at least add an asterisk next to this feature so that your users are aware of the incompatibilities.

I await for your response. Thank you.

Neil
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Ecwid Team

Thank you for detailed description of your problem with big amount of files uploading.

The thing is that "Upload files" feature has been designed to allow the customer to attach up to 10 files per product. It supposed to be used to add the picture, which should be printed on the mug, or some text file with some instruction. We consider that it is not convenient to the customer to upload 120 files file-by-file, that is why the "Upload files" option has not been designed for big amount of files uploading.

The uploading files limit - up to 10 files per time, is not a bug, but the default feature behavior, actually. It shows that the feature has been designed in this way and allows to add just a several files to each product.

Ecwid guarantees that upload files feature works properly in all browsers including Internet Explorer and Safari, when customer adds 10 files to the product or less as it was developed. Thus, the functionality work as it should and as it has been designed without any problems.

Considering the fact that Chrome and FireFox browser allow to add even more then 10 files to the product, most probably, the problem with big number of files uploading in Internet Explorer and Safari has been caused by the bug in the browser. That is why this problem unlikely should be fixed on our side.

We are very glad to know that you have found a workaround for your case, and we will be very appreciated if you share your experience with other Ecwid users.

------------------

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
upload files