The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Does an abandoned or saved cart still allocate inventory?

I have seen another post on this subject, but it is years old now so I should ask this again under the current revision.

Many of my items are unique items where only one of a kind exists so they go out of stock and stay out, while others are more traditional multiple count items. I have set my product listings to manage inventory regardless of whether it is unique (qty 1) or I have multiples.

If customer A places a unique item in their cart and is still shopping, and then customer B arrives and places that same unique item in their cart and then immediately checks out, what happens when customer A tries to checkout later? Are they told that the item is no longer available?

Likewise if customer A creates a cart with a unique item and then leaves, and then customer B arrives and places that same unique item in their cart and then immediately checks out, what happens when customer A returns and reopens the cart? Will the sold item be gone from the cart?

The same questions apply for multiples of an item when stock runs out. What does a customer actually see if an item is sold out between the time they add it to their cart and checkout?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

Yes, Ecwid allows a product to be added in the cart by several customers at the same time. The actual in stock amount of the products in your store is changed after an order is placed or a placed order is declined. Technically, it is possible that some product that is almost out of stock (e.g. only one item is available) is added to the cart by two customers simultaneously. In such case, after the first customer places an order, the second will not be able to buy the item - he will see a message saying that added products are out of stock. This is aimed to prevent selling of out of stock products.

See also: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/51200671/...ory%20tracking

By the way, you can see how Ecwid works in such situations yourself. In order to do it, just open your store in different browsers simultaneously and act as two independent customers.

Please also refer to this thread on our forum for more details on inventory tracking in Ecwid:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40743

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

Last edited by Makfruit; 01-28-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Terrific, thanks.

One of the main reasons I am converting my store to an ecwid back end is that my former system, using PayPal Cart Standard to actually hold the cart contents, was allowing two customers to buy the same unique item before I had a chance to manually remove the item from stock. Either that, or they would change the quantity in the PayPal cart and over buy stock I didn't have available. That led to some uncomfortable e-mails to customers to tell them I didn't have something. I am hoping ecwid will end this problem.

I'll try it out using two different browsers and see what it actually shows.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resonant1 For This Useful Post:
Matt Ecwid (07-06-2012)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Default Can more the one customer add a product to cart until final checkout?

In the case of selling a product that only has a quantity of one... if a customer has added the product to their cart/bag, and has not yet gone through checkout, is the product still available to others to add to their cart?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Bell View Post
In the case of selling a product that only has a quantity of one... if a customer has added the product to their cart/bag, and has not yet gone through checkout, is the product still available to others to add to their cart?
Hi,

Please refer to this post:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...6620#post56620

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Jenna Bell (01-29-2013)

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.