The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 AM

Backorders

Is there a way to track inventory, but also allow customers to buy backordered items? Is there a way to hide the amount of inventory that I have in stock? I can get most items in just a day or two and do not want to lose sales.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Natural Boutique View Post
Is there a way to track inventory, but also allow customers to buy backordered items? Is there a way to hide the amount of inventory that I have in stock? I can get most items in just a day or two and do not want to lose sales.
Hello,

Currently, the 'out of stock' products in Ecwid cannot be ordered by customers. It is a part of inventory tracking functionality in Ecwid, which helps store owners to keep an eye on their sales and goods. There is also an ability to hide out-of-stock products in storefront. To do it you should tick the 'Hide out of stock products' checkbox in your store settings in Ecwid control panel (System settings → General → Cart).

In your case I can offer the following workaround: You can set unlimited quantity for all your products and let a customer buy them with informing them in the product descriptions, that the product is on backorder. Also you can use product attributes feature to inform customers about this. For example you can create “Delivery in” attribute and set “2 days” value for it. This info can be shown in the right block near price on your product page.

So this will allow customers to add any product to the cart and place an order. Please note, that since in this case some purchased products are out of stock, they will be delivered with delay, thus your customer should be clearly informed of it.

I also want to inform you that an idea of implementing ability to pre-order out-of-stock products was suggested by one of Ecwid users in the 'Ideas for Ecwid':
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...-pro?ref=title
If you have not voted for this idea please feel free to vote and we will email you when it will be added in Ecwid.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM

We have the same issue (items are often in stock, but sometimes they are in production with a 3-5 business day delay). We are OK with the product attribute workaround, however to truly make this work it would be great if this attribute could be added to the order is completed email template so that the customer is made aware of this. Product attributes don't seem to be listed as one of the tags which are available for use in the email template. Is there a 'secret' tag which can be used for this purpose?

Thank you!
Eric
Old 09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
We have the same issue (items are often in stock, but sometimes they are in production with a 3-5 business day delay). We are OK with the product attribute workaround, however to truly make this work it would be great if this attribute could be added to the order is completed email template so that the customer is made aware of this. Product attributes don't seem to be listed as one of the tags which are available for use in the email template. Is there a 'secret' tag which can be used for this purpose?

Thank you!
Eric
Hello Eric,
Thank you for contacting us!

At the moment Ecwid allows to use “Back in Stock Notifications” feature with the help of this 3d-party free extension: http://ninjawidget.com/back2stock/index.html

Ecwid has no built-in feature for back-ordering. Sorry.

As I understand, you would like to use a workaround which is described in the previous post. In a few words, you set unlimited quantity for your products and inform customers that the product is on backorder. Also you inform customers about delivery terms by means of product attributes feature. For ex. product attribute “Delivery in” with the value “2 days”.

As I see your goal is to insert product attributes in mail notifications template.
At the moment Ecwid built-in functionality allows to add the following information about ordered products in mail notifications:
  • Product name
  • SKU
  • Weight
  • Product options
  • Price
  • Quantity

In order to insert product attributes in mail notifications template you should develop your own custom notifications.

In order to do this you will need to develop special script based on our API. This script will get information that new order was placed via Instant Order Notification API. After that it should generate custom notification about new order using the info that it will get about this order from Order API.

You can find detailed information about Ecwid APIs in the following article: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...6-api?t=471691

You can hire a developer to do this customization. I suggest contacting to our friends from Qualiteam (http://www.qtmsoft.com/). Send your request to sales@qtmsoft.com for quote.

Unfortunately you can not include product attributes into mail notifications with the help of built-in Ecwid functionality.

I would like to suggest you one more workaround. You can set delivery terms as product option. (Product options are included in mail notifications by default).
Open Ecwid control panel -> Catalog -> Products -> a product page -> Options tab. Create a new option with name “Delivery in” with the value “2 days” and "Radio Buttons" input type. Set this option as default. In this case your customer will see the delivery term in right hand side panel on product detailed page and in the mail notification as well.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Last edited by Wendy; 09-30-2014 at 04:12 PM.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.