The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Checkout Calculations

When a customer places an item in the shopping bag, under the "Checkout" button reads the last SHIPPING location entered. This puts into play several wrongs. (not really an issue from one's own computer but look at this issue from a pc located in the lobby of a hotel, or library, etc..)

1. The "shipping shown from" reflects the shipping calculations from last sale processed.
2. If the last checkout went to a zone requiring tax then the current customer placing their order sees tax
3. Reverse that and perhaps the last customer purchase didn't require tax, then no tax would be visible at this time.
4. This "shipping shown from" has a change button below it which gives the shopper the opportunity to alter where the package is being shipped to, in order to calculate the full product costs. If the store owner has their tax rate applied to the shipping location then the values should be updated correctly, however it store owner has the tax rate applied to the billing location then the values calculated here incorrect. (I only learned how this button functioned by doing a help chat session).

My biggest beef with this process is the message that appears at the end of the billing page that states "Store owner has made some shipping, tax or product settings after you had added your products to the cart. Thus, your order has been re-calculated. Please check it before continuing the order. OPEN CART
Read that message carefully, sounds like while I was shopping the store owner was doing something. Could be worded a little better.

I have done some further testing and the program does recalculate for changes made during the checkout process, Personally I DO NOT like the flow, nor do I like the verbiage in the message that pops up. If the window that holds the sale info opened with each step in the checkout the customer would easily be able to see why changes were being made. Or perhaps the window that allows you to change the shipping in the first step of checkout could be modified to reflect accurately the billing and shipping.
Possible changes that could resolve this,

1. Simplest of all would be to alter the message that pops up just before entering payment. Perhaps leave the customization or this message to store owner.
2. Within the change button have fill in fields for billing and shipping so calculations are accurate right away.
3. Have cart totals update on each page as you go thru the checkout process.

Regards,
Steve Hyatt
dshyatt@yahoo.com
727-992-5884
www.TheBetterBackStore.net

Last edited by Steve Hyatt; 01-07-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hyatt View Post
When a customer places an item in the shopping bag, under the "Checkout" button reads the last SHIPPING location entered. This puts into play several wrongs. (not really an issue from one's own computer but look at this issue from a pc located in the lobby of a hotel, or library, etc..)

1. The "shipping shown from" reflects the shipping calculations from last sale processed.
2. If the last checkout went to a zone requiring tax then the current customer placing their order sees tax
3. Reverse that and perhaps the last customer purchase didn't require tax, then no tax would be visible at this time.
4. This "shipping shown from" has a change button below it which gives the shopper the opportunity to alter where the package is being shipped to, in order to calculate the full product costs. If the store owner has their tax rate applied to the shipping location then the values should be updated correctly, however it store owner has the tax rate applied to the billing location then the values calculated here incorrect. (I only learned how this button functioned by doing a help chat session).

My biggest beef with this process is the message that appears at the end of the billing page that states "Store owner has made some shipping, tax or product settings after you had added your products to the cart. Thus, your order has been re-calculated. Please check it before continuing the order. OPEN CART
Read that message carefully, sounds like while I was shopping the store owner was doing something. Could be worded a little better.

I have done some further testing and the program does recalculate for changes made during the checkout process, Personally I DO NOT like the flow, nor do I like the verbiage in the message that pops up. If the window that holds the sale info opened with each step in the checkout the customer would easily be able to see why changes were being made. Or perhaps the window that allows you to change the shipping in the first step of checkout could be modified to reflect accurately the billing and shipping.
Possible changes that could resolve this,

1. Simplest of all would be to alter the message that pops up just before entering payment. Perhaps leave the customization or this message to store owner.
2. Within the change button have fill in fields for billing and shipping so calculations are accurate right away.
3. Have cart totals update on each page as you go thru the checkout process.

Regards,
Steve Hyatt
dshyatt@yahoo.com
727-992-5884
www.TheBetterBackStore.net
Hello Steve,
Thank you for your great feedback!

I would like to explain shortly how Ecwid checkout works.

When your customers visit your online store for the first time, Ecwid determines their location (country, state and zip code) by IP address using MaxMind's GeoIP solution. Once location is detected, Ecwid calculates estimated tax and shipping rates and show them on the shopping bag page. In order to let your customers know how the rates were calculated, we placed the corresponding message on the shopping cart page: Tax and shipping shown for... It is possible to hide this message however, using the following instruction: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...ed-for%22-part

Thus, under the "Tax and shipping shown for..." section automatically defined location is displayed.

Pre-defined country, state and zip code can also be shown at checkout, shipping details page. Why it is a great feature:
  • In most cases, it helps the customer to check out faster (= more sales for you).
  • Your customers see estimated shipping and tax cost as soon as they open the cart page.

The thing is that the customer's web browser may remember already entered data and show them in shipping details on checkout when your customers visit your store for the second time. This depends on your customer's web browser settings and Ecwid doesn't affect them anyhow. For ex. Chrome web browser has autofill feature. You can find details in this article: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142893

It is possible to remove pre-defined address information in your Ecwid store. This approach requires customization though. Please, find the instruction how to achieve this in the following post: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=10

Quote:
...the message that appears at the end of the billing page that states "Store owner has made some shipping, tax or product settings after you had added your products to the cart. Thus, your order has been re-calculated. Please check it before continuing the order. OPEN CART
Your customers see this message at checkout only in the following case: some products have been already added to the shopping cart, but the order hasn't been placed yet, and during this period the store owner has changed some shipping, tax or product settings in the control panel. The thing is that shopping cart content never expires. I presume you saw this message while you tested checkout in your storefront and at the same time changed some settings in your control panel.

This message can be changed with the help of the following instruction: Custom Translations.

Please, let me know if you have further questions. I'll be glad to assist.

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
checkout, checkout design, checkout form design