The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 PM

Increasing options text area size

I'm writing options to the order using code only. The option is set up as a product option text area in the store. This works fine apart from one thing. This text area is limited to 200 characters. I would like (rather, need) it to be longer.

In my online shop the customer selects a box and then selects different chocolates to go into it. When they have chosen their box and their list of chocolates (up to 24) my custom 'add to bag' routine adds the box as the SKU and the list of chocolates as an option attached to this. Unfortunately it will only accept around 9 ½ chocolates.

I've found the code (eventually) on the forum to make the text area accept more characters but the text area does not appear on my website. Is this solvable or have I got to come up with a kludge (separate option for each group of 6 chocolates, telling customer he can't have names of chocolates, only code numbers/abbreviations)?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel Chocolaterie View Post
I'm writing options to the order using code only. The option is set up as a product option text area in the store. This works fine apart from one thing. This text area is limited to 200 characters. I would like (rather, need) it to be longer.

In my online shop the customer selects a box and then selects different chocolates to go into it. When they have chosen their box and their list of chocolates (up to 24) my custom 'add to bag' routine adds the box as the SKU and the list of chocolates as an option attached to this. Unfortunately it will only accept around 9 ½ chocolates.

I've found the code (eventually) on the forum to make the text area accept more characters but the text area does not appear on my website. Is this solvable or have I got to come up with a kludge (separate option for each group of 6 chocolates, telling customer he can't have names of chocolates, only code numbers/abbreviations)?

Thanks
Hi,

Please, post here a link to the page where the issue can be reproduced so that we could help you troubleshoot this issue.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Hi Sergey

The site (unfinished) is here http://www.pualv.com/carousel/
If you add add 12 chocolates to the shopping bag and then look at the shopping bag page you will see the list is limited to 200 characters (see attached image)

The coded I use add the options is
Code:
product = {
	id: selectedbox,
	options: {
		Chocolates:chocs
	}
}

Ecwid.Cart.addProduct(product);
Where 'Chocolates' is the name of the option set up for each box and chocs is my variable containing a string of all the chocolates selected. Obviously I would like the list to include all the chocolates and not be chopped off at 200 characters as seems to be happening.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bag.jpg (313.4 KB, 189 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Hi Sergey

The site (unfinished) is here http://www.pualv.com/carousel/
If you add add 12 chocolates to the shopping bag and then look at the shopping bag page you will see the list is limited to 200 characters (see attached image)

The coded I use add the options is
Code:
product = {
	id: selectedbox,
	options: {
		Chocolates:chocs
	}
}

Ecwid.Cart.addProduct(product);
Where 'Chocolates' is the name of the option set up for each box and chocs is my variable containing a string of all the chocolates selected. Obviously I would like the list to include all the chocolates and not be chopped off at 200 characters as seems to be happening.

Thanks

Paul
Hi, Paul!

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

The thing is that there is a limitation to 200 characters on “textarea” option value that can be passed via Ecwid JS API. This limitation is hardcoded in Ecwid core so there is no way to increase number of characters on “textarea” option value with Ecwid standard instruments or custom scripts.

We agree that this field limit should be increased, as 200 symbols not enough for the most of API requests. I have passed this request to our engineers and they will apply changes as soon as possible.
I will inform you as soon as changes take effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sergio87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Hi Sergey

Thanks for the response. I look forward to the change being made.

Regards

Paul
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Hi

Do you know if/when this change is likely to be made. The site is now close to launch and it looks like I'm going to have to ask the client to use a workaround and write a routine to handle this. Obviously, I'd rather not.

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Hi

Do you know if/when this change is likely to be made. The site is now close to launch and it looks like I'm going to have to ask the client to use a workaround and write a routine to handle this. Obviously, I'd rather not.

Thanks

Paul
Hello Paul.

I’m glad to inform you that required changes are on the testing stage now and it will be released soon.

I will keep you posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sergio87 For This Useful Post:

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
200 characters, options, size, text area