The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 PM

color options for products, any tips?

I am in the process of setting up a store that sells multiple items with multiple color variations. Of course a drop down menu is insufficient as what color is umber and how will it look on this item is the clients question.
I have seen some sites that let you click a color swatch and it adds that color to the cart. Any one seen a how to page for that? I am sure I am missing it some where.

I see that with a venture account I could in theory, upload a color swatch or image as a product option? Does that mean I could upload the item in say red, on clicking the image in red client is then buying the item in red? Sorry for the stupid question, just cannot be too careful when seeking clarity. I would not want to advise a client to upgrade and then find the solution did not fit.

Secondly anyone care to share their preferred or favored solution for dealing with this particular option for products?
Thanks for your time.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian sandham View Post
I am in the process of setting up a store that sells multiple items with multiple color variations. Of course a drop down menu is insufficient as what color is umber and how will it look on this item is the clients question.
I have seen some sites that let you click a color swatch and it adds that color to the cart. Any one seen a how to page for that? I am sure I am missing it some where.

I see that with a venture account I could in theory, upload a color swatch or image as a product option? Does that mean I could upload the item in say red, on clicking the image in red client is then buying the item in red? Sorry for the stupid question, just cannot be too careful when seeking clarity. I would not want to advise a client to upgrade and then find the solution did not fit.

Secondly anyone care to share their preferred or favored solution for dealing with this particular option for products?
Thanks for your time.
There are currently 7 types of product options in Ecwid:

- Drop-down List
- Radio Buttons
- Checkboxes
- Text Field
- Text Area
- Date Picker
- Upload Files

Unfortunately none of them allows to display color swatches oк upload them as pictures.

The closest type of option to what you describe is the drop-down list (or the radio buttons). With some custom development it is possible to visually enhance those options in page to display the color swatches while still working as a usual option.

The pictures you upload to the product gallery are just additional images for the product, they don't work as options. Even if a customer viewed some picture from the gallery, this won't affect the actual color that will go into shopping cart once the product is bought - only the customer's selection in the options matters. But you can actually change the product image to reflect the customers' choice interactively by using product variations. Each variation is based on a specific set of option values, and when matched by customer's choice of options it can display a different price, wholesale pricing, SKU or a product image. You can use variations to interactively display the products in selected colors even without the customization adding swatches.

The idea to display color swatches in options was already suggested to us, please, vote for it here: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...roduct-options to get this functionality implemented sooner and get notified when it is ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene Rimmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Duly thanked, Eugene. But I would need a $350 Business Licence to use variations - in a 10-product store.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM

So is the color swatch available on the venture?

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.