The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:48 PM

My Facebook shop doesn't work

Hello my facebook shop doesn't work. I think because time ago, to translate the shope page on the website I had to create 2 hidden categories, so even the main category is hidden. How can I overcome this problem?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Creative Networks View Post
Hello my facebook shop doesn't work. I think because time ago, to translate the shope page on the website I had to create 2 hidden categories, so even the main category is hidden. How can I overcome this problem?
Thanks
Hi,

Facebook allows displaying default category as well: open apps.facebook.com/ecwid-shop/, select Settings of your shop and define "Catalog. Category opened by default:". However you have the main categories disabled hence you won't be able to setup either of them as default category for Facebook store.
Please, clarify, do you want to show both categories on your Facebook page, or only one of them? Depending on your answer, we'll be able to give you proper advice.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Default facabook Categories

Hi Lana, thanks,
well both categories are important one is in italian and one is in english, if I can set the facebook shop to see both would be better, if it's possible if not just the english
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Hi Lana, thanks,
well both categories are important one is in italian and one is in english, if I can set the facebook shop to see both would be better, if it's possible if not just the english
Hi,

I'd suggest that you enable all the categories: Catalog -> Categories, enter a category, click 'Enable' and 'Save'. And remove the breadcrumbs from your store: How to remove breadcrumbs That way when your customers are viewing one store page, they won't be able to discover the other one following the breadcrumbs links. And it will allow you to display any category you wish on Facebook page.

I've noticed some problems with your site that aren't related to Ecwid anyhow. I'll send you a PM regarding this.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Hi Lana thanks, I just did what you said, but this way the shop is seen in both italian and english in both sides of the website
have a look
http://freecreative.net/it/free-crea...=0&sort=normal
Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM

and also I just realized the only way that I had to share the products on facebook and twitter, that were the button link inside the catalogue (that you have to be logged in to share the products) don't work
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Hi Lana thanks, I just did what you said, but this way the shop is seen in both italian and english in both sides of the website
have a look
http://freecreative.net/it/free-crea...=0&sort=normal
Hi,

My apologies, there's one more quick solution (lifehack) that I forgot about! You can enable a category, insert its subcategory as "Catalog. Category opened by default:" for Facebook stores, and then disable the category keeping the subcategory opened.

For that, as I see, you'll need to change a little how your current categorization is organized so to make it precisely as instructed in this article: Different categories for different sites

- Create two root categories, e.g. 'English store' and 'Italian store', enable them.
- Move all the categories to corresponding root ones thus 'Free Creative Shop - eng' will become a subcategory of 'English store', 'Free Creative Shop - ita' - subcategory of 'Italian store'
- Enter Facebook app settings at https://apps.facebook.com/ecwid-shop/ and choose 'English store'/ 'Italian store' as category opened by default
- Update the default categories for the product browser widgets on your site
- Disable these two categories in Ecwid control panel

Quote:
and also I just realized the only way that I had to share the products on facebook and twitter, that were the button link inside the catalogue (that you have to be logged in to share the products) don't work
I understand you mean FB and Twitter share buttons on the product page in Ecwid control panel. I've checked your account and can confirm that the buttons looks working OK. Please, clarify what the problem is exactly. What happens when you click to share on FB or Twitter? Does it allow you to share? Or are shared links not working as you expect?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Needing clarity

Hi Lana thanks for the explanation I just can't understand well some steps like this one:
Quote:
You can enable a category, insert its subcategory as "Catalog. Category opened by default:" for Facebook stores, and then disable the category keeping the subcategory opened.
This step is what I already did time go before you asked me to enable the categories for the facebook app:
Quote:
For that, as I see, you'll need to change a little how your current categorization is organized so to make it precisely as instructed in this article: Different categories for different sites
then next step is not very clear: you say to create 2 roots categories then choose both English store'/ 'Italian store in facebook, where instead you can choose just one default category:
Quote:
- Create two root categories, e.g. 'English store' and 'Italian store', enable them.
- Move all the categories to corresponding root ones thus 'Free Creative Shop - eng' will become a subcategory of 'English store', 'Free Creative Shop - ita' - subcategory of 'Italian store'
- Enter Facebook app settings at https://apps.facebook.com/ecwid-shop/ and choose 'English store'/ 'Italian store' as category opened by default
This aspect is solved thanks the buttons didn't work for a while but they work now, probably for the problems I had on my website
Quote:
I understand you mean FB and Twitter share buttons on the product page in Ecwid control panel. I've checked your account and can confirm that the buttons looks working OK. Please, clarify what the problem is exactly. What happens when you click to share on FB or Twitter? Does it allow you to share? Or are shared links not working as you expect?
thanks Ilaria
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Hi Lana thanks for the explanation I just can't understand well some steps like this one:

This step is what I already did time go before you asked me to enable the categories for the facebook app:

then next step is not very clear: you say to create 2 roots categories then choose both English store'/ 'Italian store in facebook, where instead you can choose just one default category:

This aspect is solved thanks the buttons didn't work for a while but they work now, probably for the problems I had on my website

thanks Ilaria
Hi,

The main difference is in this reorganizing your current categories. At present you have two root categories that you use as default ones for the stores. In order to setup any of this category as default ones for the Facebook store, this category must be enabled which doesn't work for you.
So my suggestion is to make "Free Creative Shop - eng" and "Free Creative Shop - ita" subcategories of new root categories (which will then be disabled, and used as default categories for your stores).
That way you will be able to keep "Free Creative Shop - eng" and "Free Creative Shop - ita" enabled, and setup one of them as the default category for the Facebook store.
Yes, you will have to choose only one of these categories for the Facebook store.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM

anyway I can accept as it is now, I did so many changes and you also changed instructions along the way, that I just leave that as it is to not complicate my life. The only problem now is that if I comment on this product for example, this way posting it in facebook http://freecreative.net/it/free-crea...29&id=20509057
then when in facebook you click on the link it send you to a 404 page, why is that?
thanks
fcn

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.