The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Google Zebra algorithm

Many of us have been noticing changes in SEO Algorithms since googles newer Penguin, Hummingbird, and Panda were implemented.

Google newest Algorithm, "Zebra", is going to affect online merchants. The reason for this post is to ask ecwid users to vote for the services that google is looking for.
For example, google's new Zebra algorithm will rank you/your site lower for not having a Gift Registry, or Wish List.

Some other factors, that have nothing to do with ecwid, such as having a forum, are also needed.

The ecwid team is probably one of the most professional and hard working group of folks I've interacted with. I can't express to you (ecwid team) how damn happy I am with the responsive store option. Your product is exceptional, and I recommend it at every opportunity. That said, please consider streamlining any extra service that you might think will help your clients with the newest google algorith.

More information about Zebra here:

https://widgetware.com/news/the-merc...bra-algorithm/

Thank you- greg

Last edited by hoosker; 12-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hoosker For This Useful Post:
Matt Ecwid (12-26-2013)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosker View Post
Many of us have been noticing changes in SEO Algorithms since googles newer Penguin, Hummingbird, and Panda were implemented.

Google newest Algorithm, "Zebra", is going to affect online merchants. The reason for this post is to ask ecwid users to vote for the services that google is looking for.
For example, google's new Zebra algorithm will rank you/your site lower for not having a Gift Registry, or Wish List.

Some other factors, that have nothing to do with ecwid, such as having a forum, are also needed.

The ecwid team is probably one of the most professional and hard working group of folks I've interacted with. I can't express to you (ecwid team) how damn happy I am with the responsive store option. Your product is exceptional, and I recommend it at every opportunity. That said, please consider streamlining any extra service that you might think will help your clients with the newest google algorith.

More information about Zebra here:

https://widgetware.com/news/the-merc...bra-algorithm/

Thank you- greg
Hello Greg,

Thank you very much for sharing this.

Indeed, Goggle and other search engines more and more focus on user experience a website provides (high-quality unique content, fast loading, mobile user experience, social activity on site etc). On the other hand, such notorious SEO techniques as keyword stuffing and mindless meta data optimizations are getting less and less efficient, if not to say more harmful, for SE ranking. That once again proves that one should first optimize their web site for visitors and customers rather than for search engines. The latter will eventually follow. Anyway, SEO surely makes sense because it is apparently huge and, in most cases, very cheap source of traffic.

We're aware of the changes you're referring to and keep them in mind when planning new Ecwid features. Regarding this particular 'Zebra' update and the advice you shared, here are some notes.

Google shopping is apparently not only a good way to attract traffic to your store through Google shopping listings themselves, it can also increase Google rankings for your site according to the article. Ecwid allows a merchant to export their products to several marketplaces, including Google shopping, so you can use it right now: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/63856263/Google%20shopping

Regarding wishlist, the corresponding changes are already in our plans so you will be able to use wishlists in Ecwid in one of the future versions. Please vote for this idea to be notified of the progress: http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...n-user-account

I'd like to add that the way search engines always change their crawling/ranking algorithms, a merchant should always keep an eye on SEO trends and continuously implement the corresponding improvements on their site. The whole SEO thing is quite instable, thus one shouldn't fully rely on it for consistent traffic. So it would be a good idea to have other traffic channels. I'd recommend reading these articles for more details on this matter:
- http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853308/...tractcustomers
- http://www.practicalecommerce.com/ar...ersify-Traffic

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
hoosker (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Thanks Makfruit and indeed I am focusing more on my sites content and authority to try and make it truly SEO sustainable.
One thing I would like to suggest. If it's possible in your business model, maybe ecwid could have a way that it's members could contribute monetarily, or invest, in ecwid for an added feature.
Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosker View Post
Thanks Makfruit and indeed I am focusing more on my sites content and authority to try and make it truly SEO sustainable.
One thing I would like to suggest. If it's possible in your business model, maybe ecwid could have a way that it's members could contribute monetarily, or invest, in ecwid for an added feature.
Just a thought.
Thank you for the suggestion. We appreciate your willingness to contribute to Ecwid!

We currently have quite a large list of features to add to Ecwid and there are many factors we're taking in account when deciding which feature to implement next: our ideas base with a lot of great suggestions, our partners requirements, software bugs to fix, current e-commerce trends dictating the market etc. We are also continuously researching and implementing more modern approaches to data storage and transmission, monitoring servers’ availability, updating system software, etc. So, although we perfectly understand there are some features that you consider crucial and even ready to invest in to give them high priority, we must stick to the priorities of the feature requests to make Ecwid the best solution for as many merchants as possible. Hope you understand. Thanks again for the suggestion.

By the way, what feature would you like to have? Please share - maybe we will be able to suggest a suitable workaround.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
algorithm, google, zebra