The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Latest Ecwid update breaks WP-admin, again!

I just updated my Ecwid plugin, something I do with reluctance these days since updating has killed my WP admin before due to bugs. And today it killed the admin area again. This time viewing the page source shows nothing, so the bug is killing PHP very early.

Checking my PHP error log I see this:

[Sun Jun 24 22:26:18.910311 2018] [php7:error] [pid 53285] [client x.x.x.x:40088] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in wp-content/plugins/ecwid-shopping-cart/includes/class-ecwid-admin.php:293

Checking the PHP manual on the multibyte string functions it says this:

https://secure.php.net/manual/en/mbs...stallation.php

"mbstring is a non-default extension. This means it is not enabled by default. You must explicitly enable the module with the configure option."

Great, a compile-time option, so not something I can even enable quickly via the php.ini, and not something that is enabled by default; so most people probably don't even have this enabled. And since I am currently using the PHP package, now I have to go download and compile from source to get this option enabled.

I have been using Ecwid for years and have never had any problems, and for that I am grateful. But recently it seems like it is going down hill, or there are new developers who are careless about testing? I don't know, but it is very frustrating to run an update and have your site broken. If Ecwid requires non-default modules, at the very least let the users know *before* they update and get a broken site.

I have fixed the problem by removing the mb_ functions:

$ grep -r "mb_" *

includes/oembed.php: if (mb_strlen($trimmed) < mb_strlen($category->description) && mb_strlen($trimmed) == ECWID_TRIMMED_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH) {
includes/class-ecwid-html-meta.php: $description = mb_substr( $description, 0, $length ? $length : ECWID_TRIMMED_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH, 'UTF-8' );
includes/class-ecwid-admin.php: $slug = mb_strtolower( $title );

Deleting the mb_ from the function names restored my admin area to working condition.

Matthew
Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi Matthew,

I'm really sorry that you've faced this issue. Thank you very much for reporting it and for the detailed description of how you've fixed it. I've brought the issue to the attention of our plugin developers, they will investigate it further.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi Matthew,

The issue has been taken care of in the new plugin version that we've released today. You can find the changelog here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ecwid-...rt/#developers

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.