The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Question

Should I be using a cache plugin? (eg, WP Super Cache)

Hi,

So I've been running ECWID on my Wordpress site for a while. My host provider = Hostgator and they include the plugin WP Super Cache by default on their new WP installs.

I removed this plugin when setting up my site as I figured that it wouldn't be necessary being a small site etc. Now that I am getting more products and pages setup (an ongoing process) I'm wondering if I should be running this cache plugin or an alternative.

I'm aware that best SEO practice dictate that your site load/perform as fast as possible. This is obviously the case when thinking about the customer-end too. Therefore my questions are:

• Should I be using a cache plugin?
  • Will this work fine with ECWID/ajex etc?
  • Will this have any negative impacts on my site?
  • I did read somewhere that WP Super Cache causes issues with the new "Recently Viewed Products" ECWID feature, is this true?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT View Post
Hi,

So I've been running ECWID on my Wordpress site for a while. My host provider = Hostgator and they include the plugin WP Super Cache by default on their new WP installs.

I removed this plugin when setting up my site as I figured that it wouldn't be necessary being a small site etc. Now that I am getting more products and pages setup (an ongoing process) I'm wondering if I should be running this cache plugin or an alternative.

I'm aware that best SEO practice dictate that your site load/perform as fast as possible. This is obviously the case when thinking about the customer-end too. Therefore my questions are:

• Should I be using a cache plugin?
  • Will this work fine with ECWID/ajex etc?
  • Will this have any negative impacts on my site?
  • I did read somewhere that WP Super Cache causes issues with the new "Recently Viewed Products" ECWID feature, is this true?

Thanks!!!
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

It is a good idea to use WP Super Cache to speed up the work of your website. Ecwid itself is fast, but this plugin can help you optimize other WordPress pages.

Actually, Super Cache plugin should work fine with Ecwid. However since this plugin was developed by WordPress, the best option for you would be to give it a try on your website and see how that works. If something goes wrong, you can always uninstall it, as described here https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-sup...e/other_notes/

We will greatly appreciate it if you write here the results you get. It may help other forum members who think about using WP Super Cache plugin.

Also, you can read more advice on how you can speed up your site in our blog here http://www.ecwid.com/blog/ecwid-news/speed-matters.html

Hope to hear from you. Feel free to ask any other Ecwid related questions. We’ll be glad to help.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daria Sh. For This Useful Post:
Olive (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 AM

I use ZenCache with GZip enabled. It made a noticable difference in speed. Another great plugin I found was the Plugin Organizer where I reordered ECWID to load first.
Hope this helps you
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozee For This Useful Post:
Wendy (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Thanks for both of your replies. I went ahead and installed WP Super Cache and it was a real nightmare to get working. I think usually it is easy to install, but because I've made some changes to my wordpress installation to improve security (eg, moved htaccess out of its default directory among other things) which caused the installation to fail.

I did manage to get it working in the end with some dedicated troubleshooting and now that it's working I have also noticed a great increase in speed. I'm also pleased to note that content loaded in java and ajex isn't effected (ie it doesn't cache these types of scripts) and therefore ECWID seems to load exactly as normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Olive For This Useful Post:
Matt Ecwid (05-25-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Thanks for both of your replies. I went ahead and installed WP Super Cache and it was a real nightmare to get working. I think usually it is easy to install, but because I've made some changes to my wordpress installation to improve security (eg, moved htaccess out of its default directory among other things) which caused the installation to fail.

I did manage to get it working in the end with some dedicated troubleshooting and now that it's working I have also noticed a great increase in speed. I'm also pleased to note that content loaded in java and ajex isn't effected (ie it doesn't cache these types of scripts) and therefore ECWID seems to load exactly as normal.
Hi Olive,

Glad to hear that now everything works fine.

Thank you a lot for sharing your experience on our forum. I'm sure some member forums will find it useful for them.

Contact us if you get any questions about your Ecwid store. Also, feel free to search our Help Center http://help.ecwid.com/ with a lot of ready solutions.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.