The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 PM

NEED TO HIRE ECWID experienced person

HELP WANTED: We hired someone to set up a store for us. This was done. But, none of our items are coming up in search engines. I am not sure if the site has even been indexed?? Right now, our store is basically useless...and I'm paying out monthly for the Silver Plan as well as a monthly fee for the guy who set up us to keep Word Press up, but he says he doesn't do the other IT stuff, and now I'm stuck. The site comes up if you go to our website (www.wolfsanctum.org) or if you directly access it at www.wolfsanctumwildstones, but not if you search for any of the products. I need to hire someone to find out what is wrong....why we are not being picked up by search engines. Please e-mail me at director@wolfsanctum.org
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM

There seems to be nothing wrong with your store. Here I search for one of your products: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ench...radia+Bracelet - and actually its the top hit. Google has indexed all of the products in your store: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...w=1440&bih=805 - so it is picked up by search engines. Why do you believe that it is not? What searches do you perform?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM

I've tried searching for several items in our store, without success:
chainmaille or chain maille jewelry; enchantress bracelets; prayer feather; medicine bags; chain maille bracelet; etc.. etc. A search for "prayer feather" for example is a short search list result. That is one of the major headings in the store. A search for "enchantress bracelet" is also a short result list, and we don't come up at all. I mention these two because there are only a few results pages, and were easy to therefore check. We don't come up in these areas at all. And of course I've tried other searches on items we have in our store and can never find anything that comes up in the results pages. Now if you specifically put it the item, it may come up (like specifically saying Aradia), but in a search for a multi-beaded bracelet, or a Swarovski Crystal bracelet, again I get nothing.
Is there any way in Ecwid to see if anyone is actually coming to your store from a search engine??
Thankyou, Liz Mahaffey
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Mahaffey View Post
I've tried searching for several items in our store, without success:
chainmaille or chain maille jewelry; enchantress bracelets; prayer feather; medicine bags; chain maille bracelet; etc.. etc. A search for "prayer feather" for example is a short search list result. That is one of the major headings in the store. A search for "enchantress bracelet" is also a short result list, and we don't come up at all. I mention these two because there are only a few results pages, and were easy to therefore check. We don't come up in these areas at all. And of course I've tried other searches on items we have in our store and can never find anything that comes up in the results pages. Now if you specifically put it the item, it may come up (like specifically saying Aradia), but in a search for a multi-beaded bracelet, or a Swarovski Crystal bracelet, again I get nothing.
Is there any way in Ecwid to see if anyone is actually coming to your store from a search engine??
Thankyou, Liz Mahaffey
Hi Liz,

Basically, you can check how Google indexes your site using Google webmaster tools. As to the search results, it's easy to check whether your store's products get to the Google search using a search query like this:
'site:http://wolfsanctumwildstones.com/ inurl:ecwid_product_id'

According to the Google syntax, such request will show all indexed pages from your site which contains 'ecwid_product_id' in their URL. For example, I've checked how many of the indexed items are related to "prayer feather". There are 26 search results listed in Google:
http://goo.gl/28ly9

That means that your products are listed in the search results when one looks for 'prayer feather'. So, apparently, your store is indexed by Google, that means that the Inline SEO Catalog (a tool that your Wordpress plugin uses for making your store indexable) works OK.

On the other hand, the wide search by 'prayer feather' gives about 7,090,000 results and your products are not in the top, apparently. And I understand your worries on this matter - every merchant eventually needs their product to be found and purchased, not only listed somewhere. But the thing is everything that the plugin can do is to make your products listed there. The main purpose of the SEO part of Ecwid Wordpress plugin (that part in old plugin versions is called Inline SEO Catalog) is to make your products indexable by search engines, i.e. to make products visible for them. And your plugin does exactly that.

As to further SEO and other optimization, it is actually you who do that - plugin just cannot make you products appear on the first page, there is nothing it can do for that. Basically, search engines rate web pages basing on various factors: content, number of links, appearing in social networking services etc. As you understand, those are not something the plugin can affect. Moreover, there isn't any pre-written instructions on how to succeed in SEO with any technology. SEO is always an experiment. The major search engines will teach you what content they expect, but they will never say: "Do exactly this and you are #1 in our rankings" - you have to find and refine that knowledge yourself (or find an expert). Tomorrow the thing that are likely to work may change and you then will have to change everything accordingly.

Please also refer to this related post:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...0998#post70998

Here is several recommendations I'd like to give in your case:
1) Upgrade you Wordpress plugin to the newest version. It includes significant SEO improvements which can help you in enhancing how your store is found by Google. More details:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...9160#post69160
2) Apply some further SEO improvements as described in this 'Further SEO' part of our SEO article:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853308/SEO#FurtherSEO
Among the other things, it mentions Goolge Analytics, which is the very thing you need to see where your visitors came from.
Hope that helps.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.