The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM
webmalone's Avatar
webmalone is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 30

Joomla URL rewrite sh404SEF Inline SEF SEO


I've installed and started testing inside 2 Joomla sites, both sites are running the same store ID. I really like what I'm seeing but until I can control how the URL is written, I cannot go much further.

Is there anyone writing a Joomla sh404SEF plugin for ecwid?

Tempress is using the standard Joomla apache rewrite, which works a little:

http://www.tempress.com/tempress/sho...roduct=1403990

egrips is using sh404SEF component, but it doesn't convert the URL of ECWID at all:

http://www.egrips.com/component/opti...roduct=1403990

Ideally, I'd like both links to read /shop/fruit/green-apple ... following the way the breadcrumbs are written.
  #2  
Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Qetzal's Avatar
Qetzal Qetzal is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmalone View Post
I've installed and started testing inside 2 Joomla sites, both sites are running the same store ID. I really like what I'm seeing but until I can control how the URL is written, I cannot go much further.

Is there anyone writing a Joomla sh404SEF plugin for ecwid?

Tempress is using the standard Joomla apache rewrite, which works a little:

http://www.tempress.com/tempress/sho...roduct=1403990

egrips is using sh404SEF component, but it doesn't convert the URL of ECWID at all:

http://www.egrips.com/component/opti...roduct=1403990

Ideally, I'd like both links to read /shop/fruit/green-apple ... following the way the breadcrumbs are written.

Hi,

Please refer to these articles first:
- http://kb.ecwid.com/SEO
- http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...=7867#post7867
__________________
Eugene K.
Ecwid Team

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
  #3  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:09 PM
webmalone's Avatar
webmalone webmalone is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 30
Default

Qetzal,

Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, it is not possible to control how the ecwid URLs are written and an alternative, taken from your second link, is to:

"4. If you want to have fancy URLs for SEO, well it's already possible. Create new pages in your CMS, assign the necessary names to them. Then embed Ecwid code to each page."

So to use this method, and replicate a cart with 100 products, I have to create 100 Joomla pages and 100 items in ecwid?

Also, will the ecwid content that I pull into each individual page be indexed by Google?
  #4  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Qetzal's Avatar
Qetzal Qetzal is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10,847
Default

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, it is not possible to control how the ecwid URLs are written
Yes. Also an important thing is that it doesn't matter what these URLs look like, because search engines don't read anything after that # in URLs.

Quote:
So to use this method, and replicate a cart with 100 products, I have to create 100 Joomla pages and 100 items in ecwid?
Yes. You can do it manually or using our API: http://kb.ecwid.com/API

Quote:
Also, will the ecwid content that I pull into each individual page be indexed by Google?
If you add any text to these pages, it will of course be indexed by Google.
__________________
Eugene K.
Ecwid Team

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
SoBe Couture's Avatar
SoBe Couture SoBe Couture is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 232
Default

I have a novel question about this. I get that after the # the google doesn't read it. Is there a way to change before the # per item that can be SEF friendly even if the stuff after isn't? Is that possible and does sh404SEF do this?
  #6  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Eugene Rimmer's Avatar
Eugene Rimmer Eugene Rimmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ecwid headquarters
Posts: 7,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Couture View Post
I have a novel question about this. I get that after the # the google doesn't read it. Is there a way to change before the # per item that can be SEF friendly even if the stuff after isn't? Is that possible and does sh404SEF do this?
All sorts of SEF URL makers work this way: they have an exact mapping of SEF URL parts to the IDs and kinds of the content types actually being referred. When applied to Joomla, its the slugs of the pages mapped to their exact IDs in the Joomla database, one to one (one URL - one puublication ID). Joomla has all the content conveniently at hand, so it is possible to build such mapping quickly and have it again at hand for the quick lookups, when a page is addressed by its SEF URL. So, when user comes for /a-random-page/, SEF solution looks up its pre-built map and then picks the right page from the database.

However, when you need such thing for an external content (like the one from Ecwid shop), which is not stored in your database, you do not have that convenient mapping at hand (you cannot quickly tell which string in the URL maps to which product in Ecwid), and you cannot quickly build such mapping, unless you request all the contents of your Ecwid shop into your server's database and basically keep a whole map of all your Ecwid products. But even then, the inventory in the shop may frequently change to reflect the business necesssities of its owner - new products may come, older may get ditched, categories may get created and products moved around them and so on. Even if some solution inside your Joomla has created such map, it is necessary then to keep it in sync. Synchronizing the whole this map on each request will make your store sluggish - definitely not a thing you can afford for the search traffic, when visitors appreciate page speed. Synchronizing it on schedule may miss a significant update to the inventory, so your site will not reflect the current state of the shop, thus corrupting the search results. This all makes creating the SEF URLs solution for Ecwid a tricky task. Unfortunately, a generic SEF URL making solution like the one in question, not being aware of the gist of Ecwid and its URLs, will never let you make your product URLs more 'friendly'.

On the other hand, the current scheme of addressing an Ecwid product inside an inline SEO catalog does not suffer from the above difficulties - each product and category is already referenced by its ID, so it is not necessary to build a map; and if something has changed in the shop, for example, a product has been deleted, the next request on the URL containing its ID will immediately return 404 error, which is exactly what search engines expect for the missing entities. No sync is needed, the current form of the URLs in the inline SEO catalog of Ecwid helps to directly display the current state of the store wiithout any additionnal synchronizing or mapping.

This elegance of the simple solution allowed us to deliver the inline SEO catalog a long while ago, which helped the Ecwid users to expose more than half a million products to the Google search spider allready. However, with some significant amount of modifications, including a server-side code that actually rewrites the URLs, and with allowance of a little part of non-human-readable information in the URLs it is possible to make SEF URLs in any inline SEO catalog.
  #7  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
SoBe Couture's Avatar
SoBe Couture SoBe Couture is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
This elegance of the simple solution allowed us to deliver the inline SEO catalog a long while ago, which helped the Ecwid users to expose more than half a million products to the Google search spider allready. However, with some significant amount of modifications, including a server-side code that actually rewrites the URLs, and with allowance of a little part of non-human-readable information in the URLs it is possible to make SEF URLs in any inline SEO catalog.
Thanks Eugene I understand the problem in making it perfect or as close to what people would be happy with at the most highest / elite levels of designing Ecwid Shopping sites. On your last sentence in the above quote you say with significant amount of modifications including a server side code that actually rewrites the URLs does this mean there is a new Ecwid update coming that will do all of that? As well, do you suggest that the plugin will ultimately still be necessary from USP or will the potential future fix make that type of plugin obsolete?

thanks so much for your response.
  #8  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Eugene Rimmer's Avatar
Eugene Rimmer Eugene Rimmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ecwid headquarters
Posts: 7,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Couture View Post
Thanks Eugene I understand the problem in making it perfect or as close to what people would be happy with at the most highest / elite levels of designing Ecwid Shopping sites. On your last sentence in the above quote you say with significant amount of modifications including a server side code that actually rewrites the URLs does this mean there is a new Ecwid update coming that will do all of that? As well, do you suggest that the plugin will ultimately still be necessary from USP or will the potential future fix make that type of plugin obsolete?

thanks so much for your response.
First of all, CMS plugins and inline SEO catalogs of all sorts are not exactly the Ecwid itself - they are rather helpers to install or call Ecwid widgets on different types of site with some additional outcome. Their development is not a part of Ecwid development cycle and are not included into the Ecwid roadmap. Updates to those plugins are made by experienced developers, but not exactly the Ecwid engineering team (in fact the first plugin for Joomla, that later developed into what you know as RokEcwid, was initially designed by Ecwid user, but not a team member, and then it was curated by the other dev team, but again not Ecwid). Ecwid team currently keeps the open code repository for RokEcwid to be able to introduce critical changes if necessary (like, for example, in hypothetical case if a new Joomla version is not compatible with previous formats of the plugins) to sustain the ability to use Ecwid with that plugin in the future. So, RokEcwid is in fact open source, it came from a bunch of developers, each bringing a little more to it, so, you may be the person who changes it again the next time. I cannot promise or even tell for sure how the future versions of RokEcwid are going to compete with USP Web's one, or when the either of them introduces any changes.
  #9  
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,947
Default

We added SEO friendly URLs to Ecwid. Now Ecwid CMS plugins include the following SEO features as a built-in functionality:
- SEO-friendly URLs
- Meta tags (title, description, canonical tags)
- Microdata markup of the product and categories pages for better looking search snippets

All of the mentioned are included into the new version of our plugins for:
- Wordpress
- Joomla
- Drupal

Our Wordpress plugin also integrates with the Google XML sitemap plugin to let you easily create sitemaps with links to your products and categories.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
 
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
joomla, rewrite, sef, sh404sef, url

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.